What Is Your Favorite Perfume?

Robski

I've had a look through the forum as I thought that this subject would have been posted already, but couldn't find anything.

Perhaps if it has been covered already you could link me to it.

So what is your favorite perfume that would make the ideal gift to you. I want to purchase some for my girlfriend before I return to Bangkok.

I could spend hours in department stores trying to find the right perfume and never be sure that she would even like it until she actually tried it herself, but with your help I may be able to narrow down the possibility of getting it very wrong.

So there are many factors that I guess I should take into consideration when purchasing perfume as a gift, then there are some perfumes that are just classic or simply outstanding that I couldn't go wrong with.

I would have to like the perfume myself (of course) but if I can get some good suggestions it would make it easier for me to find the right one.

She is 35, I think her age is important, I don't want something to girlie and at the same time nothing that smells like a gannies handbag.

It should be something sophisticated and yet youthful, oooh la la :o

She is Thai, does that make a difference do you think as to the type of fragrance that would seem most pleasant to her?

It should be something that she could wear everyday if she wants, so not too overpowering.

These are the things that I must consider and I guess it must be quite amusing to see my thoughts,

like a rabbit in the headlights I am a mere man trying to make the correct decision.

So anyway please help, offer your own favorites, discuss among yourselves or just laugh at my ineptitude. All suggestions will be gratefully considered.

Ladies I thank you, and Mig, no it's not you. I told you already I'll get you Margaritas.

Edited by Robski

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go, I didn't know that and Old Croc may have already saved me from the doghouse, but... I've seen all the perfume in the world on sale in

Bangkok, it's just so darn expensive.

She is 35

Ladies I thank you, and Mig, no it's not you.

:D

I was getting ready to share a list of possibilities...something cool and refreshing for the thai/bangkok heat....

but then I got to this part.....

no offense meant to anyone....but sheesh....Im not that old...... :D

I wonder if I should even tell him theres a similar thread thats been posted in the ladies forum by gerd not long back :o

HA! what you gonna do....freeze them for me to collect in England while you are in Bangkok? :o

anyhow this was Gerd's question about What Men's perfume do women like

might not directly answer your question...but as P Bammy already said...many women do indeed prefer men's perfume. for various reasons I suppose...for me its a combination of things...but one being that its less overbearing...and I think more suited to the hot thai weather.

Ive listed some of the ones I use on that thread.....not that my taste would apply being not yet 35 :D

one suggestion I will make for a women's perfume (in addition to a few male i listed there) is this one

Flower by Kenzo -- its not overpowering, not too sweet, yet is very softly feminine, and certainly adds an air of sophistication. Id say this perfectly fits what you are after. take a look here...even the bottle is very sophisticated.

I COULD go on with my list...but dont wanna confuse you...theres atleast 15 other ladies that will be happy to list you the 6-7 perfume that we've used and can recommend :D

Im not that old......

Oh you mean I am a grandma then !

P Bammy..you are my younger sister na kha :D <<insert kiss here>>

only Robski is old :o Robski was misleading people to think I COULD be 35 na kha :D I had to make sure people didnt get wrong impression :D

and yes Tots....both P Bam and myself listed Davidoff cool water on the male perfume thread

EDITED>> to kiss P Bam :D

Edited by MiG16

EDITED>> to kiss P Bam :D

Bah :o

Another choices for female's scene ( many Thai gals like em)

Britney- Curious

Sarah Jessica Parker -Lovely

Paris Hillton- Just me

In my opinion, It is hard to buy perfume for someone. You will not know somebody's taste.

Robski,If i were you I would ask her directly what was the favorite perfume she liked.

And if i did not know the answer ,I would buy others as a present for her. But not perfume.

Edited by BambinA

Speaking as a woman.

Although,we girls love surprise,we need what we want.

You had better ask some detail from you GF directly.

AS

1) What's her favorite perfume. Don't guess about it. (Q: What Is Your Favorite Perfume?, Getting The Right Gift.>>ask us here its so-called useless coz we are not you GF we dont know what is exactly she likes ..she may fall in love with Passion(Elizabeth Taylor) or Chanel no 5...Twist ended ha? :o )

2) Cosmetic - what is exactly model , brand and number

3) Jeans - waist and hip +lenght

4) Bras -exactly size

Edited by BambinA

Brute by Faberge.

:o

Cue the flares..

totster :D

My wife who is 35 and likes very light subtle perfume wears only Light blue by D & G, she is Thai. Best present is to take her out and let her choose the one she likes, buying perfume for someone else is always difficult

To answer your question: Eau d'Issey by Miyake

However, buying perfume is a science! There are perfumes that are considered 'cold' and some that are 'hot' (ask the staff about it and what that means, when a cold one should be used etc.). The seller will (if he/she is a pro) also ask you what the person you have in mind is already using. Knowing this is a minimum requirement for you, otherwise a could be a disaster. One of my daughters bought perfume for me in France and said it took her 40 min to make a choice. (It was not Eau d'Issey, but something I liked, too)

Beware of counterfeit perfumes, their bouquet lasts approx. 15 min on the body and 2 days in an opened bottle.

I like Calvin Klein - CK1 and Escada - Ibiza Hippy/Rockin' Rio*. They're both nice & light for daytime. Love Coco by Chanel or Opium by YSL for nights, but they might be too heavy. And I'm 37, so sort of the same age group. But, that still doesn't mean the same tastes... :o

* This perfume seemingly changes it's name every year. Those are 2 names I've bought it under, don't know what it's called now, but a perfume store should know from those names.

This is difficult, Robski. As Croc said, buying Asian women perfume might signal that you think they smell bad and need to cover it up.

Another point: all people have inate body chemicals and odours, and one perfume may smell divine in the bottle and the same on one lady but not on another. (That's why I always spray a bit on, walk around and wait to sniff the result an hour later.)

The only perfumier I buy from is Annick Goutal. She has one light clean unique scent that works for boys and girls. But, that's mine. I cannae share.

Perhaps better to buy perfumed sachets for her closet? Or ask her if she has a favourite.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

I love "Obsession" and "Eternity" by Calvin Kline and Chanel no5. Best worn layered. The red Lacoste for men isn't bad also.

Buying perfume for someone is difficult as perfume has to match personality,mood,occassion,taste many things.Don't try on more than two or three at one time and sniff coffee beans in between to refreshen the nose.

Asking what pefume she likes is best but deciding what suits is another thing.As Jet said about body chemicals.

My favourite is Aromatics Elixir by Clinique. It has a very different smell. Most people who smell it on me comment about how nice it is. As the name suggests, it has a very aromatic aroma, not flowery at all.

I agree that it is best for your girlfriend to try the scent first as different perfumes react differently on people. I remember once asking my husband to buy me a scent that I really liked but when I put it on, it smelled awful on me so I had to give it away.

Let us know what you decide on in the end.

I think it's better to ask her what perfume she likes -- since perfumes react with a person's skin, so it might smell differently on her than it would if you just smelled it in the store.

If you want the present to stay a surprise, maybe you can ask her in a sneaky way: "your perfume smelled divine the other night; I've never smelt anything like it before...what is it?" :o

I appreciate all the suggestions and please keep them coming. I'm sure she certainly won't be offended if I buy her perfume.

Getting it right could be easy with your help, as getting it wrong could be just as easy without it, so thankyou.

I just want ideas so that I can go and test some fragrances and have a good idea of what to look for.

The one and only ladies perfume for me is Angel by Tierry Mugler but I admit it's on the strong side. There is also Angel for men which is quite nice. Alternatively a flowery light classic one is Au Fresh but I don't remember who makes it.

Good luck with your choice :o

I appreciate all the suggestions and please keep them coming. I'm sure she certainly won't be offended if I buy her perfume.

Getting it right could be easy with your help, as getting it wrong could be just as easy without it, so thankyou.

I just want ideas so that I can go and test some fragrances and have a good idea of what to look for.

Rob mate,

I took versace bright crystal with me last week comes in a little pink bottle with a big crystal on top smells great.

Au fresh as mentioned above is also made by versace, not quite as nice though in my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy the karaoke!

Mark

OPium is my fav.

Yves Saint Laurent my second fav.

However my hubby prefers Eternity on me.

I don't know.. I can't imagine any girl being offended that a guy bought her perfume. To me, any gift from a guy that is not expected is sweet and precious.

It just the thought, of knowing they thought about you, enough to want to buy you something.. too precious.. you can't go wrong.

However, if she does not appreciate the gift, dump her!

My husband bought me a pair of heels when we were dating. Doesn't fit. I can't wear it, could have taken it back and exchanged it for another, but then it would no longer have been his gift. I still have the heels in the box he gave them to me in. They keep better than flowers.

Edited by LaReina