Things to think about before buying a second-hand motorcycle in Thailand

driveout

So I am now planing to buy a Honda click 125cc click on Facebook marketplace in Thailand. What should I know and be careful with before buying a motorcycle on marketplace?

Should I go to a motorcycle repair shop and check it up before i buy it or is it bad to ask that in Thailand? I know that I need COR but do I need it before I buy it? How about insurance? 

Thanks for your time and answers!

Edited by driveout

Only buy a bike if it has a green book. If you intend to buy it meet with the seller at the DLT, let them check the papers etc., and if they say everything is ok then hand over the money.

Have somebody who has experience with riding these bikes do the test ride, if it just feels like crap when riding it might be quite expensive (in relation to the cost of the bike) to fix and I would just look for another bike.

After the test ride check if the forks or shocks are leaking oil, these are the more expensive parts to fix. If it has LED headlights check that they are in good condition, as well as the tachometer, also relatively expensive.

The only expensive thing left is the engine, but to tell if it has been flooded, or was run with too little oil is impossible to tell without taking the engine apart. If it runs smooth you are probably good to go, but there is always a bit of risk left.

The other stuff is cheap to fix and not much to worry about. Condition of tires, brakes etc. gives you room for negotiation, but it's all not really expensive. If the current tires look like they would need replacing ask for a 1000 baht discount for this, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Only buy a bike if it has a green book. If you intend to buy it meet with the seller at the DLT, let them check the papers etc., and if they say everything is ok then hand over the money.

Have somebody who has experience with riding these bikes do the test ride, if it just feels like crap when riding it might be quite expensive (in relation to the cost of the bike) to fix and I would just look for another bike.

After the test ride check if the forks or shocks are leaking oil, these are the more expensive parts to fix. If it has LED headlights check that they are in good condition, as well as the tachometer, also relatively expensive.

The only expensive thing left is the engine, but to tell if it has been flooded, or was run with too little oil is impossible to tell without taking the engine apart. If it runs smooth you are probably good to go, but there is always a bit of risk left.

The other stuff is cheap to fix and not much to worry about. Condition of tires, brakes etc. gives you room for negotiation, but it's all not really expensive. If the current tires look like they would need replacing ask for a 1000 baht discount for this, etc.

Great tips, i will do that! Thanks!

If just for knocking around town, DECO offers new MB starting at <฿30k.   You won't be going far or fast (top end), but doesn't get any cheaper to buy & own new.  Some with removable batteries if needing.

decoDiscount.jpg

DECO

image.png.58e086f99eca528e0113c2355f66b089.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

I bought a Honda 650 used had it for about 15 years, when I went to sell it I was told the numbers did not match! UGH Just about had to give it away.

I got screwed.

Didn't you register the green book under your name...? 

The DLT checks the number plate and chasis number with all the paperwork at that time...

23 hours ago, Agusts said:

Didn't you register the green book under your name...? 

The DLT checks the number plate and chasis number with all the paperwork at that time...

Yeah doesn't make sense.