Marriage Certificate Requires Notarization? (Embassy+MOFA) for Non O in Vientiane and Savannakhet

Greetings,

I'm a Thai guy married to a Japanese woman (Registered at Thai District Office), currently planning to apply for a 90 days Non O Thai spouse visa for my wife at one of the Thai Consulate in Laos.

Do the consulate in Vientiane and Savannakhet ever require the Marriage Certificate (Khor Ror 2-3) be notarized by the foreign spouse's respective embassy and MOFA, or does bringing the originals alone be enough?

I saw a list of required documents for 90 days Non O in the Immigration Bureau site stating the requirement of such notarizations, but didn't see any of the Thai consulate sites listed the same requirements.

8.A-PERSON-WHO-HAVING-RESIDENCY-IN-THAILAND-NON-O.pdf

FWIW, I know this is a bit different and is a Thai Ampur requirement, but I'm currently trying to register our marriage (I'm American, she's Thai, and we were married in Abu Dhabi) at our Ampur, but they require our original certificate to be certified and translated into Thai, as well as passports and other things. Sounds easy, but UAE Embassy will not certify the original certificate, although properly registered in UAE at the time, unless the MoFA in Abu Dhabi certifies it as real, then and only then will the embassy certify it and only after that will the legal translators translate it. We probably will get remarried in Thailand just to make it legal here....

Sorry for the diversion.

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Original Thai marriage certificate will suffice

Thank you for the clarification 

31 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

UAE Embassy will not certify the original certificate, although properly registered in UAE at the time, unless the MoFA in Abu Dhabi certifies it as real, then and only then will the embassy certify it and only after that will the legal translators translate it. We probably will get remarried in Thailand just to make it legal here....

If you're not in Dubai, registering at Amphur seems like a more direct solution; quick visit to get a marital affidavit at US Embassy, translate, get MOFA stamp then head to Amphur. 
In my case, I got a bit of an issue with my domicile's Amphur in Bangkhen District, BKK, they wanted me to bring all the documents to them to verify before I can get an appointment (claiming that there're lots of forgery around lately), they said they will hold on to the documents for a few weeks. My wife insisted that we register marriage on 25th Dec (!), so I had to find other Amphur to make it happen. Ended up registering married in a faraway District of Bang Sue who allowed me to do urgent appointment at the time.

I believe each Amphur has their own way of doing things, so you might wanna check up on them beforehand.

Also, you may check for any certification service in UAE as well, I once hired an agent there to handle similar kind of attestations as you mentioned; took about a few weeks. If the cost ain't bad, it is a viable option.

5 hours ago, paulbrow said:

FWIW, I know this is a bit different and is a Thai Ampur requirement, but I'm currently trying to register our marriage (I'm American, she's Thai, and we were married in Abu Dhabi) at our Ampur, but they require our original certificate to be certified and translated into Thai, as well as passports and other things. Sounds easy, but UAE Embassy will not certify the original certificate, although properly registered in UAE at the time, unless the MoFA in Abu Dhabi certifies it as real, then and only then will the embassy certify it and only after that will the legal translators translate it. We probably will get remarried in Thailand just to make it legal here....

Sorry for the diversion.

The problem with trying to marry again in Thailand is that it will require you to lie on the affidavit you provide that testifies that you are unmarried. That can really come back to bite you in the future, not only in Thailand, but also in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 8:06 PM, BritTim said:

The problem with trying to marry again in Thailand is that it will require you to lie on the affidavit you provide that testifies that you are unmarried. That can really come back to bite you in the future, not only in Thailand, but also in the US.

Thanks for the input Tim. That thought has crossed my mind also. Maybe got to divorce and remarry. This effort to register our marriage is becoming monumental.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, bootdiv78 said:

Thank you for the clarification 

If you're not in Dubai, registering at Amphur seems like a more direct solution; quick visit to get a marital affidavit at US Embassy, translate, get MOFA stamp then head to Amphur. 
In my case, I got a bit of an issue with my domicile's Amphur in Bangkhen District, BKK, they wanted me to bring all the documents to them to verify before I can get an appointment (claiming that there're lots of forgery around lately), they said they will hold on to the documents for a few weeks. My wife insisted that we register marriage on 25th Dec (!), so I had to find other Amphur to make it happen. Ended up registering married in a faraway District of Bang Sue who allowed me to do urgent appointment at the time.

I believe each Amphur has their own way of doing things, so you might wanna check up on them beforehand.

Also, you may check for any certification service in UAE as well, I once hired an agent there to handle similar kind of attestations as you mentioned; took about a few weeks. If the cost ain't bad, it is a viable option.

Thanks for your input. The agent angle in the UAE is an interesting concept. Interesting point, Bangkhen is where we are trying to do this.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:28 PM, paulbrow said:

Sorry for the diversion.

you will need a divorce to marry again