Bangkok Bank and SCB apps access on new phone

I am over in the UK for a few months and am in the process of changing phones. I have successfully reinstalled and got access to my UK banking apps but not the Thai ones. With Bangkok bank I follow the options but it ends up telling me to call them. With SCB the app recognises me but fails to process the request.

Has anyone successfully achieved this?

Thanks

Tried but failed- I have done quite a lot on the phone in UK with Thai banks  but I set up my app in Thailand. Unless they now accept photo of passport it may not be possible to set it up on a new phone in the UK.

Do you have an active Thai phone number?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaitero said:

For SCB app following worked for me. Close all local internet connections and to register your details with app use your thai sim number roaming service.

Yes! there were things you could do on your SIM rather than online.

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

Do you have an active Thai phone number?

Yes I do I have used it to get a pin with SCB but I still get a message saying unable to process at this time. BB following the process just tells me to call them. Both attempts via the apps. Alas I think I will have to sort it out when I am back at the end of September. 

6 hours ago, couchpotato said:

With Thai banking apps you will need to physically go to the Bank with your new phone, and they will set it up for you. This is a pain but the only way to do it.

With Bangkok Bank you can do yourself with a Pin number from an ATM if you don't know yours (It's a 4 digit number that was used to set-up mobile banking not the 6 digit pin you use with it).

I couldn't remember mine (wasn't sure if I ever knew it as the girl in the Bank set it up for me when I opened the account) but had no problem resetting it at an ATM and getting the App to work on my new phone. 

1 hour ago, jimn said:

following the process just tells me to call them.

Did you try calling them? You definitely don't need to go to the bank to set up the app.

At the bank they will just type in your bank account and phone number for you. 

I would try setting up the app during Thai business hours. Many online banking services are offline when the banks are closed.

Edited by Robbkk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimn said:

Has anyone successfully achieved this?

No because you need to use the Thai cell service to activate. You cannot do it over wi fi.

There have been several recent threads on this.

So you need to be in Thailand to do.

Edited by topt
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, couchpotato said:

This is a pain but the only way to do it.

Incorrect. unless you are changing phone number.

I reinstalled SCB Easy on a new phone only last night. During the process it specifically told me to switch off wi fi and use data. 

45 minutes ago, topt said:

No because you need to use the Thai cell service to activate. You cannot do it over wi fi.

You don't have to be in Thailand if you have roaming services opened. But you have to do the initial setup with your Thai SIM internet connection and not over wi-fi. Just disconnect from wi-fi, open SIM data (on the Thai SIM) and you should be able to set it up. Once setup completed you can use it over wi-fi

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

That's  true for SCB.

I didn't need to go to the branch/ATM but switch off WiFi and connect via AIS mobile data. So they effectively check whether you/phone are in the country.

Just yesterday I was confronted with a more hopeless case.

Guy in Germany, Thai SIM expired, no more valid debit card. How can I connect to Kbank online?

Answer: buy a flight ticket.

It's always been a bit of a mystery to as why every app (including BBL) works every time I go to Hong Kong, where, on arrival I whip out the Thai AIS sim, insert a HK CSL sim and Bingo, I'm up and running.

Can use the CSL data if out on the street....or ANY WIFI which pops up.

Do transfers and pay bills etc via BBL app ~ no different to my being in Thailand .

Only thing that's the same is the actual phone !!!!

Some younger whizz kid out there can enlighten me !

I went from an Asus zenphone 3 to a zenphone 8, just hit the transfer feature and all my apps came accross.  The only problem was the phone ,only half my contacts came so I had to do the rest manually. However they came the next day so I had a pile of double entries to delete.

10 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I went from an Asus zenphone 3 to a zenphone 8, just hit the transfer feature and all my apps came accross.  The only problem was the phone ,only half my contacts came so I had to do the rest manually. However they came the next day so I had a pile of double entries to delete.

Which Banks Mobile App moved from Phone-2-Phone without having to re-register it?

I went from IPhone X to IPhone 14 & whilst all my apps/contact/data etc... went across I still needed to re-register the Bangkok Bank App & I would be concerned if I hadn't had to. 

I've just seen that SCB have updated their app... unfortunately my device only has Android 7.1.1, which is no longer supported. And I'm in the UK with my wife at the moment, don't expect to back in Thailand for a few months.

So I tried setting it up on my wife's iPhone (with a version of iOS that meets their requirements)... the app installed, I was able to remotely register it, and can login *sometimes*... when I try to log in, I either get the message in Thai "cannot process" and can't login, or I can log in but clicking on the bit I want to access (e.g. Account Summary, Transfer Money) opens a box telling me what that section does - but it doesn't open that section!

SCB's advice via their customer service email... "your device is not compatible, we recommend getting a new device". And their advice via their LINE support line... "fly back to Thailand".

• Sad 1