Savannakhet visa report

On 6/30/2023 at 3:42 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

I have done my visa for a non-o single entry visa based on a child, see all highlights below:

Experience itself and details:

• Extremely busy it seems as reported earlier, I think even on tuesday or wednesday this is similar.
  • Tuk tuk / fixers offer to cut you in front of the entire queue for 500 baht, I did this and yet it still took over 2 hours, to process just 35 people or so.
  • My application itself was in under 30 seconds, no questions asked, number given and collected the next day.
  • Many tourist visa applications were refused, including a friend who was travelling with me, this while he never had a tourist visa this year before, german, 100K euro in bank, ticket, hotel booked.
  • Laos visa rip off now 1800 baht cash + 100 baht on departure. It is worth it to change it into USD I think.

Documents used for this application:

• Original passport + copy of passport page, signed.
  • Copy ID Thai mother / girlfriend, signed.
  • Copy birth certificate, signed + original to show on application.
  • Copy house book registration both my son and mother / girlfriend, signed.
  • Application form with 2 pictures + 2000 baht

To conclude: for non-o visa it is still a hassle free place, bring a umbrella for both sun and rain, as well consider paying the 500 to cut in front, well worth it.

Did the helper march you to the front of the line to wait, or were you just called over at the appropriate time to hand the docs in?

Before 9:00 AM they march you to the front of the line. Once they open they take you to the gate, where the Thai gate guard lets people in 1 at a time when people come out.

Sometimes the Thai guard refuses to let people in. At 11:00-11:15 they open the gates and let everyone in if there not that many people left. ????

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Savannakhet seems a complete mess

They are extremely busy, and have been forced to become strict with tourist visas to avoid being completely overwhelmed. However, they are basically good guys who do not want to unnecessarily hassle you.

On 7/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, BritTim said:

They are extremely busy, and have been forced to become strict with tourist visas to avoid being completely overwhelmed. However, they are basically good guys who do not want to unnecessarily hassle you.

Disagree, they treat people like animals and they did hassle my friend, who had no tourist visa abuse history and all paperwork / proof. They seemed to allow over 10-15 people in front of us, who looked like homeless eastern europeans, behaved very bad too, were loud, who came via a agent and all were accepted.

But my friend was refused, he attempted the next day again as well, with his actual detailed travel plans, as that all was they had to bring as an argument (even hotels booked/paid, flight back europe booked/paid, money proof), but refused again.

Question is also in those terms what they now consider to be a 'tourist', I met plenty of people who would always come to Chiang Mai for 3-5 months a year, not work, but be static. This as my friend is similar, he booked the same place 2 months. Consulate guy didn't like that it seems.

Same after all the years, still not a single improvement on providing some shade for waiting people. Or to actually use the seats with a simple queue system, could be realised in a day time and the guard can hand out printed numbers equal to the seats available. Keep the rest out the gate.

But yes, for non-o people it all seems hassle free somehow. Personally I would rather go to Vientiene or Hanoi on appointment. But guess it makes sense for those living in isaan.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, BritTim said:

They are extremely busy, and have been forced to become strict with tourist visas to avoid being completely overwhelmed. 

They are not even using both application windows as designed, it is just one person who seems to need and do all time consuming work. If they actual had 2 windows they could proces easily 80-100 people between 09:00 and 10:30 alone compared to the super slow and busy day I experienced.

Would be much better if they also had the appointment system, then they can also limit the amounts of specific visa types on a daily basis. But TIT.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 7/9/2023 at 3:22 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Disagree, they treat people like animals and they did hassle my friend, who had no tourist visa abuse history and all paperwork / proof. They seemed to allow over 10-15 people in front of us, who looked like homeless eastern europeans, behaved very bad too, were loud, who came via a agent and all were accepted.

But my friend was refused, he attempted the next day again as well, with his actual detailed travel plans, as that all was they had to bring as an argument (even hotels booked/paid, flight back europe booked/paid, money proof), but refused again.

Question is also in those terms what they now consider to be a 'tourist', I met plenty of people who would always come to Chiang Mai for 3-5 months a year, not work, but be static. This as my friend is similar, he booked the same place 2 months. Consulate guy didn't like that it seems.

Same after all the years, still not a single improvement on providing some shade for waiting people. Or to actually use the seats with a simple queue system, could be realised in a day time and the guard can hand out printed numbers equal to the seats available. Keep the rest out the gate.

But yes, for non-o people it all seems hassle free somehow. Personally I would rather go to Vientiene or Hanoi on appointment. But guess it makes sense for those living in isaan.

Your friend could possibly get a 6 month multi entry tourist visa in his own country. Maybe the staff at the office get tired of people who dont bother doing this. 

• Haha 1