Health Insurance - Late 30's - ideas?

aldriglikvid

Hi, 

I just got my Thai Elite cleared and I'm looking to stay in Thailand year-around for the next handful of years - thus in need of a Health Insurance. In my early research, I'm finding it hard to benchmark the different policies out there - so I'm reaching for some recommendations here. 

Keep hearing Cigna Global and April International are good (i.e. OK price and little to none hassle when accidents occur). Also, I've used ACS travel insurance myself and - from what I can see - their health insurance looks competitive as well. 

I'm all ears - thanks! 

All 3 of these options (April, Cigna, ACS) are viable and there are others as well.

I don't think staying with ACS travel insurance is feasible if living in Thailand year round, but ACS has regular expat policies as well.

Just be sure to get a policy issued internationally, not from a Thai insurer (and note that there is an April Thailand and a Cigna Thailand which is not the same as Cigna Global and April International out of France).

And get through a broker. The Thai based brokers usually can't sell you an internationally issued policy. You can try these brokers specializing in international expat insurance:

[email protected].

https://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/

Broker will give you a chart showing different options and their costs.

Usually not worth getting outpatient cover (virtually doubles premium costs and outpatient care here is not costly) , but make sure the inpatient only policy includes day surgeries,  outpatient cancer care and dialysis.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

All 3 of these options (April, Cigna, ACS) are viable and there are others as well.

I don't think staying with ACS travel insurance is feasible if living in Thailand year round, but ACS has regular expat policies as well.

Just be sure to get a policy issued internationally, not from a Thai insurer (and note that there is an April Thailand and a Cigna Thailand which is not the same as Cigna Global and April International out of France).

And get through a broker. The Thai based brokers usually can't sell you an internationally issued policy. You can try these brokers specializing in international expat insurance:

Very helpful, thanks! Although no previous experience, I also figured that comprehensive Outpatient Coverage makes little economic sense - so I'm glad you supported that opinion as well. 

In regards to using a broker when it comes to things such as P&C Insurance, Flight Tickets, Bank Loans - to name a few - it's almost always more smooth and hassle-free to not have a middleman. Would you be able to spend a minute to explain me the pros of going through a commissioned agent? His/hers ambition to help should be non-existent when I paid the premium already, no? 

9 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Very helpful, thanks! Although no previous experience, I also figured that comprehensive Outpatient Coverage makes little economic sense - so I'm glad you supported that opinion as well. 

In regards to using a broker when it comes to things such as P&C Insurance, Flight Tickets, Bank Loans - to name a few - it's almost always more smooth and hassle-free to not have a middleman. Would you be able to spend a minute to explain me the pros of going through a commissioned agent? His/hers ambition to help should be non-existent when I paid the premium already, no? 

A good broker provides assistance afterwards with any claims issues or reimbursement delays that may arise. They have back channels to the insurance companies so can get a response more easily/quickly.   There is no added cost to the insured person in using a broker.

Since you can change brokers at any time, even after policy has been issued, and there is a premium payment each year, the  broker had incentive to keep clients satisfied. And of course they also care about word of mouth endorsements, satisfied clients refer others. 

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A good broker provides assistance afterwards with any claims issues or reimbursement delays that may arise. They have back channels to the insurance companies so can get a response more easily/quickly.   There is no added cost to the insured person in using a broker.

Since you can change brokers at any time, even after policy has been issued, and there is a premium payment each year, the  broker had incentive to keep clients satisfied. And of course they also care about word of mouth endorsements, satisfied clients refer others. 

Thanks! Although I don't fully agree with these conclusions, having been in the P&C and Banking business myself, I do very much appreciate - and thankful of - your help. 

When I worked in the industry, we almost always treated the customers directly to us 2-3x more expedient and 2-3x more properly. These were high, high margins customers because brokers/wholesalers hadn't taken that 20-30% distribution cut. Not looking to engage in dispute here, just letting you know another side of the coin. 

Enough of that. ????

Final Q: I've decided to sign Cigna and I want the "International/Global - issued policy". However, in my final stage of applying at https://www.cignaglobal.com/ I'm met with the following: 

"Good news, our products are available through Cigna Thailand! One of our representatives from Cigna Thailand will be in contact with you soon to discuss your options."

Do you know if this is the same entity? I'm not being lazy here, but my Googling isn't give me much. Bless! 

10 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thanks! Although I don't fully agree with these conclusions, having been in the P&C and Banking business myself, I do very much appreciate - and thankful of - your help. 

When I worked in the industry, we almost always treated the customers directly to us 2-3x more expedient and 2-3x more properly. These were high, high margins customers because brokers/wholesalers hadn't taken that 20-30% distribution cut. Not looking to engage in dispute here, just letting you know another side of the coin. 

Enough of that. ????

Final Q: I've decided to sign Cigna and I want the "International/Global - issued policy". However, in my final stage of applying at https://www.cignaglobal.com/ I'm met with the following: 

"Good news, our products are available through Cigna Thailand! One of our representatives from Cigna Thailand will be in contact with you soon to discuss your options."

Do you know if this is the same entity? I'm not being lazy here, but my Googling isn't give me much. Bless! 

Not the same entity at all. 

You don't want Cigna Thailand you want Cigna Global.

May have to use a broker to get it.

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not the same entity at all. 

You don't want Cigna Thailand you want Cigna Global.

May have to use a broker to get it.

Oh the irony... ????

Anyways, thanks again for all your help. 

36 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Oh the irony... ????

Anyways, thanks again for all your help. 

I have had Cigna and you really want a broker with it as their customer service is very inefficient. Nothing sinister just disorganized and ditsy. Constant staff turnover of young inexperienced people.  I think the reason they are able to keep their premiums lower than most is that they cut corners on admin. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I have had Cigna and you really want a broker with it as their customer service is very inefficient. Nothing sinister just disorganized and ditsy. Constant staff turnover of young inexperienced people.  I think the reason they are able to keep their premiums lower than most is that they cut corners on admin. 

Of course - I'm not that stubborn, I just gave you my POV. I've already sent an email to the mail you provided with me earlier. Fingers crossed, they have the policy!