buffalo - staring me down and looking aggressive~

OK-Be nice folks,  

Just moved to the rural North near CNX.
On my power walk along a dirt road a very large domesticated buffalo spotted me at about 10 meters away. He looked very angry and aggressive. Tail moving wildly.

He looked like he was eating and protecting the heard.

Any danger for me to take that path again?    Thanks

I've had few give me the evil eye, but calves were around, and I was eyeballing them, so fair enough.

Aside from that, never had a problem, and wouldn't be concerned myself, as even I could probably outrun one.  Wouldn't take my eye off them if nearby or walking past though. 

Domesticated or not, still a recessive instinct'd wild animal.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

I think you can liken it to a pit bull / Rottweiler. Are they generally aggressive? No....are they capable of real damage yes...If one is displaying aggression towards you....run Forrest run and don't go back.

In the case of a Thai water Buffalo and the damage it can inflict. Multiply x 20. 

As for a person outrunning one....You would have to be a black Olympian and then some....

Weighing around 400 to 900 kilograms, water buffalo have been stereotyped as slow and lumbering beasts. Perhaps that’s true in the fields but you will be surprised – and terrified – at the beasts’ terrific speed but poor sense of direction at Chon Buri Buffalo Racing Festival.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, glegolo18 said:

I am wondering? Are you even living here in Thailand???? I lived here for over 15 years, I bicycle and walking EVERY day and I pass daily herds of buffalos. I pass through them all the time. I think you guys are just scared to death of wildlife. I have NEVER seen any angry tendency at all, they just look at falang, no problem at all.......

Google buffalo attacks / deaths in Thailand. Facts are facts. They normally are shy and docile but there are exceptions. Mainly adolescent hormonal males. If the animal is displaying aggression and the guy senses danger...don't go back. Its common sense. Water buffalo in Africa are a very aggressive, smart and formidable animal responsible for many deaths

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, hellohello said:

OK-Be nice folks,  

On my power walk along a dirt road a very large domesticated buffalo spotted me at about 10 meters away. He looked very angry and aggressive. Tail moving wildly.

Do what your sphincter says.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Google buffalo attacks / deaths in Thailand. Facts are facts. They normally are shy and docile but there are exceptions. Mainly adolescent hormonal males. If the animal is displaying aggression and the guy senses danger...don't go back. Its common sense. Water buffalo in Africa are a very aggressive, smart and formidable animal responsible for many deaths

I did exactly what you said.

I googled " buffalo attacks / deaths in Thailand"

Not many facts.  Only applicable article on first results page was an elderly farmer trying to capture an escaped female buffalo in heat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Actually water buffaloes are very timid towards people normally....exceptions sometimes, if you are with a very large dog, great Dane size (it will go for the dog) or if they have a very young calf. Water buffaloes will stare at you if you walk past them but that is curiosity. There are many in my immediate neighbourhood and they will shy away from a 6 year old child.

I would think they are like any animal leave me alone and steer clear ok

Get near a baby and momma all betscare off

• Confused 1

There are 2 or 3 reported deaths from buffalo each year in Thailand. Much fewer than deaths from dogs or even lightning strike. Statistically, you are more likely to be killed crossing a busy road in Thailand, or riding a scooter for a day.

I'm sure it would make front page news if a farang managed to get himself killed by a buffalo.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:43 PM, Kenny202 said:

Buffalos can be aggressive and are what must be a 600km + ball of armor muscles and horns. There are many recorded attacks and deaths in Thailand. On foot and unprotected would be very unwise to go near it again. 

Maybe he was sick before and you would not give your tilac money to help him.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, hellohello said:

OK-Be nice folks,  

..any biped power-walking would be deemed a threat..not the usual casual gait of a Thai. (PS it is 'herd').

On 7/1/2023 at 1:20 PM, KhunLA said:

I've had few give me the evil eye, but calves were around, and I was eyeballing them, so fair enough.

Aside from that, never had a problem, and wouldn't be concerned myself, as even I could probably outrun one.  Wouldn't take my eye off them if nearby or walking past though. 

Domesticated or not, still a recessive instinct'd wild animal.

..so you think you can run 45kmph..i doubt it

Edited by tandor
error
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Am I the only one who got a good laugh about power walking in rural Isaan. Ahhh what a sight.

Yes I did but let it go lol. And it's never a good look ????

30 minutes ago, tandor said:

..so you think you can run 45kmph..i doubt it

Quick edit;   I can't beat them in a race, but evade them long enough, so they know I'm not threat. 

They were just keeping the calves behind them, and giving me the stare.   I've seen them race, kind of fast.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure I can beat them in a race, but evade them long enough, so they know I'm not threat.  They were just keeping the calves behind them, and giving me the stare.   I've seen them race, kind of fast, don't know about 45 though.

image.png.5c747d9467b9e1ede5931c79e2e42ac2.png

30 miles per hour = 48.2803 kilometres per hour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

I am wondering? Are you even living here in Thailand???? I lived here for over 15 years, I bicycle and walking EVERY day and I pass daily herds of buffalos. I pass through them all the time. I think you guys are just scared to death of wildlife. I have NEVER seen any angry tendency at all, they just look at falang, no problem at all.......

Agree, they are generally very calm and tame.

Biggest danger is getting slobber on your shirt.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1