buffalo - staring me down and looking aggressive~

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure I can beat them in a race, but evade them long enough, so they know I'm not threat.  They were just keeping the calves behind them, and giving me the stare.   I've seen them race, kind of fast, don't know about 45 though.

image.png.5c747d9467b9e1ede5931c79e2e42ac2.png

3 minutes ago, tandor said:

30 miles per hour = 48.2803 kilometres per hour

Damn, how'd I miss that ... oops

THANKS

• Thumbs Up 1

They used to hang out next to the house also, never really bother me, even a bit timid, when approached.

Another herd while grazing, and they didn't care for noisy drones.   Can't blame 'em.

Untitled-2.jpg

On 7/1/2023 at 12:43 PM, Kenny202 said:

Buffalos can be aggressive and are what must be a 600km + ball of armor muscles and horns. There are many recorded attacks and deaths in Thailand. On foot and unprotected would be very unwise to go near it again. 

I think you have no experience with them and possibly dont live in Thailand? 

They are a passive animal. Staring is about is bad as it gets. 

Just stay a good distance away and you should be fine.  Any animal is  usually going to be cautious of a stranger.  And usually stare at the stranger because they are more afraid then you are

On 7/1/2023 at 1:05 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Not dangerous if you are Mick Crocodile Dundee ????

If not, you will be in deep ????

if not

Buffalos can be aggressive and are what must be a 600km + ball of armor muscles and horns. There are many recorded attacks and deaths in Thailand. On foot and unprotected would be very unwise to go near it again. 

They have been known to even attack there handlers.  

Much more dangerous if your a stranger. 

Re: Death by Buffalo

Search showed only death.."was an elderly farmer trying to capture an escaped female buffalo in heat."

That's the best reason for an old duffer to live in Thailand. Lots of available women (even up country) in heat or need, and you don't need to chase them.

And

Re: Out running or dodging a charging buffalo..

..."so you think you can run 45kmph..i doubt it..." "30 miles per hour = 48.2803 kilometres per hour"

So just never power walk alone.

You don't have to run 30 miles an hour.

You'll just have to run faster than the person your with.

I usually just smile at them as I walk past them. They give me a sheepish look and either go back to eating the grass or continue on their merry way. I must admit though that I always look for a quick escape route, such as running and jumping in a pond, in the unlikely event one got hostile all of a sudden. Usually their owner or tenderer is accompanying them and I pretty much know them and am very comfortable when they are around with the herd. My wife tells me stories of riding on them in the water when she was a youngster.

I've been chased by a surprisingly quick over short-distance buffalo - mountainbiking (me, not the buffalo) I may have set a new 100m sprint record up a dirt hill. 

Much to daughter's amusement when i told her, the bright green t-shirt I wore that day since renamed the 'buffalo shirt'.

Jokes aside - not long after that event it was in Thai news a farmer was gored/killed by one of his own buffalo. 

Planning his next cyclist chase?

spacer.png

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, watgate said:

I usually just smile at them as I walk past them. They give me a sheepish look and either go back to eating the grass or continue on their merry way. I must admit though that I always look for a quick escape route, such as running and jumping in a pond, in the unlikely event one got hostile all of a sudden. Usually their owner or tenderer is accompanying them and I pretty much know them and am very comfortable when they are around with the herd. My wife tells me stories of riding on them in the water when she was a youngster.

Sorry but that sounds like some bars I've been to  :giggle:

This was your assertion, that there are "many" recorded attacks and deaths in Thailand.

I googled Thailand and "death by water buffalo". Found two, one in February 2023, the previous one in 2004. Is that "many recorded attacks and deaths"? You made the assertion, where is your evidence?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

This was your assertion, that there are "many" recorded attacks and deaths in Thailand.

I googled Thailand and "death by water buffalo". Found two, one in February 2023, the previous one in 2004. Is that "many recorded attacks and deaths"? You made the assertion, where is your evidence?

Won't comment on the 'many' but point out Google doesn't do Thai at all well, and that few deaths in a population of 67 million+ are reported by media - only the 'dramatic' ones get coverage - otherwise, using as an example the estimated 25,000 traffic-related deaths a year we'd have around 500 of them a week. Few get reported on. 

I'm only aware of one water buffalo fatality - and that's because it occurred in our province and made local news. We've also had a fatality by lightning, two uxo/landmine incidents that don't merit 'news' and would have escaped Google's attention.

On Friday 30th June two high school students, one a classmate of our daughter, died in a motorcycle collision about 800m from our home. Apart from the community Facebook page, it was never reported in any news media, Thai or English.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 5:31 PM, glegolo18 said:

I am wondering? Are you even living here in Thailand???? I lived here for over 15 years, I bicycle and walking EVERY day and I pass daily herds of buffalos. I pass through them all the time. I think you guys are just scared to death of wildlife. I have NEVER seen any angry tendency at all, they just look at falang, no problem at all.......

They look fat and docile

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

well if it's a bull and some cows are in heat ready for some boom boom or maybe it was a cow and her newborn calf is nearby... either way if you think the "beast" is agitated then stay away 

but usually, they are curious and calm temperament....

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2023 at 5:38 AM, watgate said:

I must admit though that I always look for a quick escape route, such as running and jumping in a pond

Maybe you should re-assess your escape plans, because the *water* buffalo is one of the few bovids who will actually really like water and is obviously not deterred by it in the least.

To those that think they are not dangerous: mother cows are protective of their herd, and as they have extremely bad eye sight, they might react aggressively because of fast movement or strong colors. That is, why Spanish matadors move a red cloth in front of a bull to enrage him -- even though, funnily enough, bovids cannot see the color red. According to the Thais, water buffalos seem to particularly hate bright yellow shirts (no, this was not a political joke on me).

If you see a large cow position herself between you and a herd of smaller ones, I would not ever approach without the owner present, but move away slowly (do not forget, you will never be able to outrun them, but they are quite lazy and will not go far from the herd).

However, they do recognize people, so in case the owner is there, let him introduce you (they sniff your smell and listen to your voice to remember, afterwards it should be no problem if you move slowly and make your presence known to them, so they are not surprised).