American and British music

UKok

Yes some one said once"It is had to write the blues in the back of a limo"

Also without classical music there would be no modern music,so many licks

i hear i can find also in a classical piece.

Not much new music,just well found and well disguised.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Well for that mater about copying.

johann pachelbel's canon in d major, man lived 1653-1706

There are soooooooooo many guitar players, bands, orchestra's copied and made their own version.

See this amazing woman doing Beethoven, well at least she copied and made own version. It puts Beethoven in another way.

Saw an interview where Ritchie Blackmore joked he took Beethoven's 5th and played it backwards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I don't know about the others, but for Cream & Clapton, surely royalties were paid.

For Robert Johnson, don't know if it trickled down to him, as he doesn't even own the rights to his songs, for what ever reason:   "Robert Johnson's material, recordings and songwriting, are owned by King of Spades Music USA"

He possibly signed over his music rights for promotional support, as so many artists do in their early career.

Johnson career was very short, and only recorded 29 songs in 2 sessions.  Obviously not all penned by him.

Not until after his death were they even released, I think, and he like so many, became the myth, not the legend since an early death.

Recording companies dealt the recording rights and royalties, not the artist, or not until the artist takes control of their career: ... "Music royalties from Cream's recordings would have been administered by ASCAP or BMI, through the accounting of the Atlantic Records group."

Clapton still doesn't produce and never did, I think.  Closely overseas it of course, trusting a few long time associates/producers.  But in his autobiography, he says he sucks at producing, and leaves it to the pros ????

EC did a whole album of Johnson's music, so I'm pretty sure he'd make sure royalties trickled down to the Johnson Estate.

Same with his friendship and sharing music of JJ Cale.

Can't ask for anything better than an artist making a hit with you song, and now you're a household name.  That's priceless by itself.

So man writers didn't become music artist, until the music was covered by others.   Many making more money on royalties than their own career I would think.

I thought the thread was about creativity, not the biz ????????????

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I was around them days in the early 60's soul and Motown I would say they was more popular in the UK than they ever were in America, one of the main venues for them was in Manchester at the Twisted Wheel, 

1964 i saw Stevie Wonder playing in Manchester then known as "Little Stevie Wonder" 

Marvin Gaye we all remember him "Heard it through the Grapevine" that first got played on a demo disc in a night club in Coventry by a DJ i used to know, true story that demo disc could have ended up in the bin, 

Would that be the Whitworth St location for the Wheel?

Without the brits comically misunderstanding the blues, the blues would have gone the way of folk music like If I had a hammer. They brought irony to a form that was leaden and heavy. English Chuck Berry stuff was better than Chuck Berry's.

Muddy Waters never had to paint houses as goofball, unintentional racist Keith Richards falsely claimed, but Muddy Waters would have been playing clubs, not theaters, without them.

• Confused 1

Is it really important if someone "ripped off" a certain type of music from another country. Good music is good music regardless as to when it comes from. As far as the comment "bastardising our language" from above...... does it really matter if Americans speak a tad differently from the Brits? It IS a different country after all. I think the travesty is in how young people in the US speak today. It's like they never went to school. Poor pronunciation, poor enunciation, poor grammar, using slang and worse "street slang" makes them not understandable. America is in decline for so many reasons. I'm glad I was born when I was as I don't want to see this world 30 years from now. If you think it's a mess now..... just wait.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Thats correct, but it was around before that in Brazennose Street but I was to young

That's right, I saw Jnr Walker and the All-stars plus many other American soul singers at the new venue, the owner was Ivor Abahdi, the uncle of Radio 2 DJ Gary Davies. 

Edited by roo860

31 minutes ago, roo860 said:

That's right, I saw Jnr Walker and the All-stars plus many other American soul singers at the new venue, the owner was Ivor Abahdi, the uncle of Radio 2 DJ Gary Davies. 

Many played there almost every week, you might like this video some info,

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=b6fAuxwrwD8&feature=share