Transferring Visa to new passport

image.png

I currently have a non-imm O with extension due to marriage and a Thai work permit from my company.

My UK passport is full so I need to get a new one.  There is not time to get a replacement in Bangkok before we head back to the UK so I will get one in London.  How can I transfer my existing visa from my current passport to its replacement?  Can I do it at the Embassy in London or do I have to do it in Thailand?  If the latter will I be able to get back in on the visa (and re-entry stamp) in my old passport and get the entry stamp in my new passport?

thanks,

Westen

On 7/2/2023 at 3:28 PM, Westen said:

If the latter will I be able to get back in on the visa (and re-entry stamp) in my old passport and get the entry stamp in my new passport?

Don't worry, my wife did exactly this last year after speaking to the IO first. Just come back and show both passports on entry then get your stamp changed over. As someone mentioned above, it's actually supposed to be free but, as you know, this is Thailand! It cost the missus 500 baht.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Don't worry, my wife did exactly this last year after speaking to the IO first. Just come back and show both passports on entry then get your stamp changed over. As someone mentioned above, it's actually supposed to be free but, as you know, this is Thailand! It cost the missus 500 baht.

My transfer at udon cost me 500 Baht too.

• Haha 2

As I've previously posted, I did the "transfer of stamps" FREE and quickly at Pathum Thani IO.

Just handeR in completed "request" form and both passports to "triage " station.

Sit outside to wait, then both PPs returned.

Do you have to do the transfer of visa/ re-entry permit, in old passport into new passport at the same IO you got the original visa from? Can you do it at Swampy airport upon return perhaps? Thx

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

There is no need to transfer the re-entry permit. A re-entry permit in your old passport remains valid. If you do want the permit transferred, it must usually be done at the office that issued the original re-entry permit in the first place.

Are you sure?  I had to get my re-entry permit stamped into my new passport (free of charge) as it's linked to the passport number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are you sure?  I had to get my re-entry permit stamped into my new passport (free of charge) as it's linked to the passport number.

Thai visas and re-entry permits in old passports remain valid. Using them just means carrying both the old and new passports until the visa or re-entry permit expires. Entry stamps and extensions must be transferred before you can receive service at at immigration office.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Normally, the visa is not transferred (certainly will not be if acquired at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand). A reference back to the visa will be inserted in your new passport, along with the current permission to stay and extension (if any). There is no urgency to get this done until the next time you need to visit your immigration office for other reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi.

Just got issued my new passport but the Canadian government may have destroyed my old one against by stated wishes.

I made copies of the visa and re-entry stamp pages just in case.

Should this be good enough to get the stamps on the new passport.

It would  be a major pain to have to start the whole visa based on marriage process again instead of just an extension 

Presuming you have the old passport with the reentry stamp in it, that should be shown on arrival at Bangkok, of course with the new passport, then get an entry stamped into the new passport. You  then get the extension transferred into the new passport at immigration. I believe a letter is needed confirming the new passport, which you may not have after obtaining the new one in the UK. An agent supplied me with one, maybe easier to get them to transfer the Extension too. 

9 hours ago, Psychic said:

Good luck! I will be very surprised if airport immigration will stamp you in just based on a photocopy of the re-entry permit. Indeed, you might even have a problem at airline check in.

This seems like a major problem which has been created through no fault of your own. You have my sympathy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I know, thanks.

I think my local immigration office might transfer the visa and multiple reentry permit based on photocopies but I am now wondering how to enter Thailand to do that.

I could come in visa exempt as a tourist but don't know if that messes with the Non-Imm visa.

Have the option of entering as a tourist on an Irish passport.

Probably going to get the wife to talk to the local immigration before I mess things up.

On 10/31/2023 at 4:33 AM, Psychic said:

Hi.

Just got issued my new passport but the Canadian government may have destroyed my old one against by stated wishes.

It would  be a major pain to have to start the whole visa based on marriage process again instead of just an extension

~

My old passport was damaged but I was still able to use it to fly back to my home-country.

When I applied in Belgium for a new passport, the young lady at the municipality where you have to file the application in person wanted to keep my old damaged passport to destroy it. 

I explained to her that I needed that old passport as it contained my 1-year Permission to stay based on my Non Imm O Retirement Visa as well as a Re-Entry Permit. 

I had to be persuasive and politely told her that the normal procedure is to clip a corner of the passport such that the passport is invalidated.  She then did this, and handed me my old passport back after having filed my application for the new passport.  

If she had refused to hand me my old passport back, I would have left the municipality and come back another day when a more knowledgeable staffer would be available.

= = =

I feel for you that the official you dealt with destroyed your old passport.

You are correct that your Thai Imm Office might have done the relevant stamp transfers to your new passport based on the photo-copies and their records. 

But you almost certainly won't be able to persuade a Thai border Imm officer to 'honor' your Re-Entry Permit based on photocopies from your old passport. 

And so it looks that you will probably have to go through the whole procedure of applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa either while still in your home-country or after having entered Thailand again VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa. 

Probably the easiest route for you to follow now is to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O eVisa while still in your home-country (provided you have enough time before your planned departure to Thailand).  And once you are in Thailand you then need to file a new TM-30 to notify local Immigration of the address in their province where you are staying.

= = =

It is indeed absolutely dismal that an incompetent official destroyed your passport against your will, and in your place I would file a complaint to avoid that other applicants will have to go through same ordeal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Psychic said:

Have the option of entering as a tourist on an Irish passport.

I would personally recommend that you use this passport, rather than your replacement Canadian one, to start all over again with a fresh non-O visa, as suggested by @Red Phoenix. Who knows if the brazenly moronic master of bungling incompetence and ineptitude in the Canadian Passport Office who was responsible for the willful destruction of your previous Canadian passport is still in post in 10 years' time when your new one will be due for renewal? (Although he hopefully doesn't have a twin brother working in the Irish Passport Office!)

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:33 AM, Psychic said:

Hi.

I'm needing to get a new Canadian passport soon. Did you get the new one in Thailand or Canada? Did you courier or carry the old in when submitting your application? I assume you checked the box to get your old one back.

I think if it was the Canadian embassy in Thailand that screwed up, the only safe way would be to submit in person when you get to take your old passport (with holes in it to make it invalid) with you after submitting the application. 

On 7/2/2023 at 3:28 PM, Westen said:

There is not time to get a replacement in Bangkok before we head back to the UK so I will get one in London. 

Just in case you are not already aware, the same day service is currently suspended, has been for a few months now. You may well have enough time to use the standard service but if not you will need to make an appointment for the one week service which will get you the new passport in 7 days. However the old passport can be 10 - 14 days later, although mine did come a few days after the new one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 7:59 PM, gargamon said:

I'm needing to get a new Canadian passport soon. Did you get the new one in Thailand or Canada? Did you courier or carry the old in when submitting your application? I assume you checked the box to get your old one back.

I think if it was the Canadian embassy in Thailand that screwed up, the only safe way would be to submit in person when you get to take your old passport (with holes in it to make it invalid) with you after submitting the application. 

Hi

I returned to Canada and submitted an application for a new passport and had to hand in the old passport.

Checked the box asking for it to be returned but they didn't.

My wife has checked with the local Thai immigration office who told her I couldn't transfer to my new passport even though I have copies of the visa and reentry permit from the old one.

Which seems stupid because you can if you lose a passport in Thailand and get a new one.

Might have something to do with coming back into the country without the reentry stamp.

I am still checking this out but it is not looking good.

Still hoping the old passport will come back but that seems unlikely.

When l contacted Canadian passport services they told me that they might have rushed the new passport and the old one could take longer which seems stupid.

Because of their incompetence I might need to start the whole non-Imm visa application from scratch.

1 hour ago, Psychic said:

Hi

I returned to Canada and submitted an application for a new passport and had to hand in the old passport.

Checked the box asking for it to be returned but they didn't.

My wife has checked with the local Thai immigration office who told her I couldn't transfer to my new passport even though I have copies of the visa and reentry permit from the old one.

Which seems stupid because you can if you lose a passport in Thailand and get a new one.

Might have something to do with coming back into the country without the reentry stamp.

I am still checking this out but it is not looking good.

Still hoping the old passport will come back but that seems unlikely.

When l contacted Canadian passport services they told me that they might have rushed the new passport and the old one could take longer which seems stupid.

Because of their incompetence I might need to start the whole non-Imm visa application from scratch.

I decided to do my renewal here instead of in Canada. Appointment in a week or so. I will insist I don't leave the embassy without my old passport. Are you aware that for around $50 CDN extra they will leave your old passport active and valid until the new one is generated? 

Doing the NR-O again after a tourist entry is simple, especially since you already have the funds in country(I assume). I had to do that 5 years ago when I got a new passport in Canada and didn't get the special letter required at the time to state I was the same person. Easier and cheaper to restart the process than going to the embassy and getting it in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, Psychic said:

Correct. Once you enter Thailand without a re-entry permit, any older permission to stay is gone forever. There would be little chance of airport immigration accepting a photocopy of the re-entry stamp, and absolutely none of resurrecting the old permission to stay once you enter with a new permission to stay.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:41 AM, gargamon said:

I decided to do my renewal here instead of in Canada. Appointment in a week or so. I will insist I don't leave the embassy without my old passport. Are you aware that for around $50 CDN extra they will leave your old passport active and valid until the new one is generated? 

Doing the NR-O again after a tourist entry is simple, especially since you already have the funds in country(I assume). I had to do that 5 years ago when I got a new passport in Canada and didn't get the special letter required at the time to state I was the same person. Easier and cheaper to restart the process than going to the embassy and getting it in Thailand. 

Mine is marriage based so considerably harder to do from scratch.

I can do a retirement with the combination of funds and pension.

But it sounds like Canada will return the old passport. The last lady I spoke with said she could see it was to be returned and she would try to expedite it.

God only knows why it is so slow.

It would be nice if you could just get the old one invalidated in the Service Canada office and returned immediately while waiting for the new one. But you have to hand it in.

Perhaps it will be different in Thailand if it is explained why you need it.

The whole process is outdated. 

I renewed my Irish passport online and had it delivered to Thailand in a little over a week.

• Thumbs Up 1

I renewed my UK passport in July a year ahead of time. They didn't run the new one from when my old one expires but from the date they received it. That was not made clear to me so In affect I got 9 tears instead of 10.

Such is life but my QUESTION now is:- my retirement visa is due for renewal mid mid January 2024 but I was thinking about going to immigration mid December 2023.

If I do go in December is it the same as the passport?.............would my new visa run from December or when the old one runs out in January 

Edited by Tanlic

On 11/12/2023 at 10:41 PM, BritTim said:

The transfer of your existing permission to stay from the old passport to the new one does not change it in any way. The expiry of your permission to stay will be whatever it states now.

Thank you 

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

In similar situation and looking for quick sanity check.

British citizen. Bangkok based (for now). Current tourist visa extension stamp (good up to the 25th) in old passport. Recently received new passport. Already arranged border run (via Ban Laem, Cambodia) for the 25th (this Thursday). Have no need of local immigration services before then. And really don't fancy a trip to CW tomorrow to transfer visa extension stamp from old to new passports.

Wondering if taking both my old passport (with current visa extension stamp) and my new passport (with no stamps/stickers) would just be okay?

Been advised immigration at Ban Laem would transfer the stamp but for a price(!).

Thanks muchly for any help on this.

Edited by mjh9335

if ur on a tourist visa it ends the day you leave thailand and when you come back will be stamped in on new passport with a visa exempt stamp

you have NO stamps to transfer