Something fishy with th electric bills ?

moogradod

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Ceiling insulation is a very good idea, using spray PU foam is not, Spray PU foam has its place, it is however very expensive for the degree of insulation provided a roll of standard insulation either 200mm or better 400mm will be a fraction of the cost and more effective.

There is absolutely no need or benefit of importing glass into Thailand as there are world class makers of glass domestically. I also very much doubt that the English Embassy in Laos (I had conversations with the person who was responsible for the contract) used imported glass. They certainly used security laminated glass probably in IGUs (I don’t remember if that was mentioned) and that would have been imported but from Thailand not Germany. The frames for the glass however was imported from Germany so that is probably where your confusion came from, together with the fact that the original negotiator is not with the same company today.

The security glass is in fact at least 2 sheets one of which has heat protection if you choose (it is not automatically selected), it is more probably 3 sheets constructed as an IGU, and if you want the best sound reduction you should vary the thickness of the glass.

You mentioned TGSG (Thai-German-Speciality-Glass) as the supplier of the windows. This sounds a bit like import. The builder showed me a picture of the insulation that he did put under our roof. Looked like a fairly thick block of some yellow material finished off by a thin layer of tinfoil. As far as the company involved are concerned I have now contact with a company called Schueco. The Managing Director is German and he was talking about the imported glass if I understood correctly. I have as well contact to a nearby local supplier who does import profiles from Japan but he was quite impresssed when I showed him your spec of glass. It appeared that he did never see anything like this. I have seen the catalogue from the Japanese profile provider. This is for sure no cheap and inferior stuff. Up to now I have no ball-park quotation whatsoever. Prime-Asia did not really react the way I would have preferred. Maybe this a heavily contested market like estate brokerage. I once sold a condo (in Switzerland) and hope to have never to do this again in my life. Guess the mafia is easy in comparison.

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

At the end of the day, SEER ratings do not mean a whole lot as far as savings go. 

Why should this be ? It is direct proportional to the energy consumption under equal conditions. A higher SEER rating therefore means savings. Of course those evaporate if you run the AC longer as intended etc. But this is not the point.

37 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Why should this be ? It is direct proportional to the energy consumption under equal conditions. A higher SEER rating therefore means savings. Of course those evaporate if you run the AC longer as intended etc. But this is not the point.

The tests are performed under laboratory conditions and the units that typically rate best are designed to perform best under those particular conditions, not the real-world conditions your unit will be operating in. 

If a unit is designed to operate most efficiently with a small temperature differential, it will not be most efficient operating high temperature differential. 

Compare the cassette units with the wall units from the same manufacturer. The wall units always test better, but in the real world, the cassettes are most always more efficient. 

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

You mentioned TGSG (Thai-German-Speciality-Glass) as the supplier of the windows.

I did they are.

This sounds a bit like import.

No it doesn’t, it sound like a Thai German company, something that is common in Thailand.

had you gone tothe website you would have found this

TGSG Is a Thai manufacturer of safety and specialty glass established in 1985 as a joint venture between Thai and German investors. 

The Managing Director is German and he was talking about the imported glass if I understood correctly. I have as well contact to a nearby local supplier who does import profiles from Japan but he was quite impresssed when I showed him your spec of glass.

That suggests that he is far from knowledgeable about Thai glass, this is no detriment to him but it does show that he doesn’t know that the glass specification was only middle of the range available. He is certainly unaware that our doors had to be locally supplied as the cost and time involved in getting custom sized toughened panes imported would be horrendously long and expensive with no conceivable benefit.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The tests are performed under laboratory conditions and the units that typically rate best are designed to perform best under those particular conditions, not the real-world conditions your unit will be operating in. 

If a unit is designed to operate most efficiently with a small temperature differential, it will not be most efficient operating high temperature differential. 

Compare the cassette units with the wall units from the same manufacturer. The wall units always test better, but in the real world, the cassettes are most always more efficient.

This is sad actually. Reminds me of the emission values of vehicles. And who would believe the fuel consumption that is printed in the high gloss documentations. On the other hand, if the laboratory conditions would be the same for each manufacturer then SEER would at least make a bit sense. I agree that it would not make sense at all if everyone might set the most favourable test conditions for his specific product. And the consumer is the silly-billy.

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I did they are.

No it doesn’t, it sound like a Thai German company, something that is common in Thailand.

had you gone tothe website you would have found this

That suggests that he is far from knowledgeable about Thai glass, this is no detriment to him but it does show that he doesn’t know that the glass specification was only middle of the range available. He is certainly unaware that our doors had to be locally supplied as the cost and time involved in getting custom sized toughened panes imported would be horrendously long and expensive with no conceivable benefit.

Thank you for the education. But I am learning ! So TGSG will be my glass provider and the profiles will be imported from either Germany or Japan. And any overpriced offer for imported glass rejected. Seems I approach more and more the moment where I can order without hesitation. All I need now is the general contractor that puts all those loose ends together and seems trustworthy with some references to show me.

On 7/2/2023 at 5:57 PM, MrJ2U said:

Variable speed pump cost me about (Emaux) 45,000 baht from Ali Baba.  It cut pump electricity by half, running 390-400 watts an hour. Swimming Pools Thailand has them.  Good warranty, Bangkok repair if needed. 

https://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/191-variable-speed-pumps

I also added a Tuya Smart Plug from Lazada To check the electricity usage. 

Next house, gated with a community pool.  Pools are just expensive and a chore in my opinion.  Great now with young kids though.

I just bought 5 of these:

36129724_TuyaPowerMonitor.jpg.01fa54a73286b611fa268704a8f149a0.jpg

Then all I need is the tuya application, probably an account with them and the measuring pleasure may begin.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Then all I need is the tuya application, probably an account with them and the measuring pleasure may begin.

Get the International version so any plug will work!

1688478615070.jpg.c61a3507ebeea725e08984cc2c4d319b.jpg1688478615070.jpg.c61a3507ebeea725e08984cc2c4d319b.jpg

Tuya uses the Smart Life app. It's universal with a lot of WiFi/Bluetooth products.

The socket also works as a timer, on & off switch, etc.,  Great product!

I just got the Tuya automatic curtains opener.  Now I never have get out of bed.

Good luck! 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Get the International version so any plug will work!

1688478615070.jpg.c61a3507ebeea725e08984cc2c4d319b.jpg1688478615070.jpg.c61a3507ebeea725e08984cc2c4d319b.jpg

Tuya uses the Smart Life app. It's universal with a lot of WiFi/Bluetooth products.

The socket also works as a timer, on & off switch, etc.,  Great product!

I just got the Tuya automatic curtains opener.  Now I never have get out of bed.

Good luck! 

Too late. I reserve the international version for my next order of 5 more and then it may as well act as an connection converter. Is there a limitation as to how many of plugs may be supported ?

For switching on/off and various security gimmiks like different sensors and cameras I use TAPO TP-Link which connects to a base station which then connects to the internet. What is new here is the power measurement.

Edited by moogradod

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thank you for the education. But I am learning ! So TGSG will be my glass

I strongly suggest that you take the time to educate yourself on the different colours, heat rejection and suitable thicknesses for glass available, I did not and just relied on the advice we received, it wasn’t bad and I did have input into the final order but I might have selected differently with better education. TGSG did supply samples that were close to the final choice, the only differences being I did not want coloured (green) glass, and we went with 4mm + 0.38 PVB + 6mm low E on the clearstory windows.

IMG_5750.thumb.jpeg.176c832b00621944c54e87fead4b7f4a.jpeg

On 7/4/2023 at 9:20 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

The rate ranges from almost zero to the maximum rate you specify. So for the users who pay the minimum and lower FT rates the difference is far from insignificant. For you 100 Baht extra per month is certainly insignificant, for those effected it is not.

Sure, but the vast majority of members here are expats and paying similar range bills every month... and pay about the same or identical FT. I don't consider expats where 100 baht on an expat's bill is a problem... sorry about that, but those people can't afford to live here and should be back in their home countries.

How much FT does a person pay for electric bills in the 500 - 1000 baht range.

8 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Sure, but the vast majority of members here are expats and paying similar range bills every month... and pay about the same or identical FT. I don't consider expats where 100 baht on an expat's bill is a problem... sorry about that, but those people can't afford to live here and should be back in their home countries.

Name a home country with cheaper electric.? Sorry!!! 

56 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I haven’t been able to find your answer but the previous announcement covered users up to 500 units These users account for 89% of household users nationwide and the discounts ranged from 95% to 15& of the Fuel Tariff, the amount was up to about ฿250 per month 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

45 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I haven’t been able to find your answer but the previous announcement covered users up to 500 units These users account for 89% of household users nationwide and the discounts ranged from 95% to 15& of the Fuel Tariff, the amount was up to about ฿250 per month 

I think the limit for the FT rebate is now 300kWh/units.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think the limit for the FT rebate is now 300kWh/units.

If the rebate is still in place that would make sense,  though it would have changed since it was 92.04 stang and the ft rate is now 91.10, the sliding scale was between 301 and 500 units

• Like 1

A flame and the earlier posts leading to it have been removed.

Let's try to play nicely shall we?

Please feel free to use the "Report" button rather than responding in kind.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:27 PM, foreverlomsak said:

We live in a private house too, last months bill produced an all up rate of just over 5 Baht per unit, it's about as high a unit cost as I've seen. Your rate appears OK but you need to check if someone has piggy backed onto your electrical system (it happens quite a lot out here in my experience especially if you are not living in the house) PEA can easily check.

For usage we are 4 occupants with 2 fridges, 1 chest freezer, an average of say 4 fans running 24/7, 2 laptops and 2 TV's running probably 14/15 hours a day, plus lights as required for 7 rooms + 3 toilets, 2 water pumps (1 for a deep well filling a storage tank and 1 maintaining pressure in the house) also various cooking appliances 2500/3000 Baht per month at current time.

No airconditiong?

Despite the high costs I would find it difficult to sleep without it. 

I just suffer through the heat during the day.  Can't afford to have Aircon 24/7.

This year seems particularly hot on top of the high humidity.   Ugh! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

No airconditiong?

I just suffer through the heat during the day.  Can't afford to have Aircon 24/7.

This year seems particularly hot on top of the high humidity.   Ugh! 

Get a few ceiling fans and leave the windows open. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Get a few ceiling fans and leave the windows open. 

We always leave the windows open during the day. 

Outside tempatures hitting 38-42, same as inside.  

Adding a fan does little but move the stifling air around.

If you can sleep comfortably in those ambient tempatures the more power to you.

I couldn't. 

44 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Our inside temperature is almost always 4~6 degrees and 20~30% lower humidity as we don’t leave the window open, so the fans are remarkably effective.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

If you can sleep comfortably in those ambient tempatures the more power to you.

I couldn't. 

I meant open the windows at night. Do you not have screens? 

I use air conditioning 24/7 now, but I worked in a Thai factory for twenty years, and I lived in Florida for ten years without AC. 

With the windows open and a nice ceiling fan that keeps the air turned, it's hot, but it is not stifling. 

39 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Our inside temperature is almost always 4~6 degrees and 20~30% lower humidity as we don’t leave the window open, so the fans are remarkably effective.

Fans are great. 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:52 PM, MrJ2U said:

No airconditiong?

Wife and 2 children are Thai and can sleep anytime night or day without A/C, only one is used very intermittently by my daughter, when not at school, and she prefers to sleep without A/C.

The one in the main bedroom is broken and I can't be bothered trying to find somebody local that can fix it.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Wife and 2 children are Thai and can sleep anytime night or day without A/C, only one is used very intermittently by my daughter, when not at school, and she prefers to sleep without A/C.

The one in the main bedroom is broken and I can't be bothered trying to find somebody local that can fix it.

Same for me, I sleep with the windows and doors open and a fan blowing the mozzies away.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2023 at 5:55 PM, moogradod said:

To @MrJ2U I tried to install this device. I thought it would be as easy as can be. But so far no luck. It demands as well an "amazon alexa app" and the whole thing uses a hub which I do not have. On top the contacts (sliced instead of holes) are not compatible with most of the current connectors.

Anybody has a link to an easy explanation how I can install (should be just plug-in) this "monitor" for example with a refridgerator ?. In the meantime I have installed a Tuya application and Amazon Alexa and synchronized the two. Will see if I go from there or throw everything away.

Our house will just be upgraded to a 3 phase connection. 1 phase does not cut it.

Edited by moogradod