Like To Visit Thailand For A Month

uptey

Hello first post,

I really enjoy reading this board since it has a vast but accurate information about Thailand!!! (not outdated information like on many websites)

This would be my first trip to Thailand and Bangkok really sparks my interest. I wouldnt want to spend $1,200 on a flight to Thailand from New York and stay for a week then spend so much money on just the flight and not really take much in from all the things Thailand has to offer.

I apologize in advance since im sure you heard this story way to often but im a 22 year old college student and dont really have that much money to spend in thailand (i dont really have much use for having the air conditioning blasting 24/7 with refridge and tv. and drinking myself retardedly drunk all the time) I don't need a huge room since I would be walking around most of the time and have a place to relax on occasion with a bed.

Was wondering how much would cost to spend a month in Thailand (or whichever amount you suggest for first time visitor) with breakfast, lunch and dinner native food.

Hopefully you have many suggestions for me :o

I think you have it the time thing right on the head for a first visit - a month.

some can not spend that time due to other committments but if you can it gives you time to adjust a little and see enough to start and think about visiting agan or exploring more.

As to how much to spend? - bring as much as you can afford - drininking a lot put the exes right up but you should be OK there.

How much a night in a GH - budget say 700-1000 THB and you should be fine in total

Meals - say 500THB a day - you might want to splurge a bit - its a hliday not a retreat!

Then you have entertainment and travel

Budget is something everybody will have their own view on and rightly so as we all expect a lot different from a holiday.

I am going to assume a few days in Bangkok, a visit up north to Chiang Mai or surrounds - maybe even get off the train or bus in Sukothai and Ayuthuya on the way there.

Then there are the beaches of the south and maybe even a side trip to Isaan to see off the beaten tourist track.

Plans seem to go astray in Thailand and I never get to do all I have planned - even after 15 years of visits with between 3 and 4 years in-country I still have places to see

thanks so much for the quick responses

quick question

what you mean by "a night in a GH"

also could you explain a bit more what "Kao Sarn Road" is

thanks again

GH = guesthouse

Khao San Road is very popular with backpackers and budget tourists

quick question

thanks again

GH = guesthouse

check the lonely planet website. they have an extensive Thailand board.

the information on that board is more what you are looking for.

Also, don't say you don't need a/c blasting until you have spent a night in a 35 degree room, especially in Bangkok.

quick question

thanks again

GH = guesthouse

check the lonely planet website. they have an extensive Thailand board.

the information on that board is more what you are looking for.

Also, don't say you don't need a/c blasting until you have spent a night in a 35 degree room, especially in Bangkok.

I was going to point him to Thorntree too!

He should approach that site as well as this and any other with a little caution as well though.

The sites hve their own persona and assumptions - Thorntree has some good infor for the OP but also like a other board a lot of people with closed agenda's

is there typically any food included with the guest houses at all?

I think usually not but if you like banana pancakes you will be in hog heaven.

LOL

OP - food is very cheap in Thailand and you are probably better ating away from guest houses IMO

10 USD a day would probably do you fine on food depending on your appetite.

thanks so much

so is 300 dollars for the month in food sound resonable?

i actually dont mind 95 degree heat at all i just would like to have a safe room where i can keep my belongings without having someone come inside and steal all my stuff

thanks so much

i actually dont mind 95 degree heat at all i just would like to have a safe room where i can keep my belongings without having someone come inside and steal all my stuff

I know of guest houses in khao yai with room rates of 300-400 baht per night, meals (thai food ) around 25-30 baht.

rono

thanks so much

I could eat very well in Singapore for 300USD a month which is more expensive than Thailand so you should be fine.

Its not something I do now but I have got by in Thailand before spending that amount on food no prob's.

Its the booze and entertainment that eats up everyones money and makes plans go awry.

Its not just the 95 degree heat - its the humidity as well. There is a reason why air-con has is one of the inventions that has improved workers productivity more than most others :o

My first trip to Thailand 10 years ago I grabbed a cab from the airport to Khoa San Road. Travel lite and don't worry about reservations. You will meet a lot of travelers upon arriving and develop an itinerary. Even a newbie will find traveling in Thailand easy and cheap. The local food is about a $1 each meal. You will probably find yourself eating at the restaurants that line Khoa san rd and the meals there are a little pricier.

Rough Budget Traveler for 1 month:

Transportation - $200

Food - $200

Accommodation - $500

Entertainment ( many variables ) - $3 - $15 a night

Just one suggestion: Whatever budget you end up having/giving yourself, make sure you have emergency funds. And i mean emergency, not 'getting carried away and resorting to using emergency money as Beer Fund money' .

Keep some cash and split it - keeping some hidden on you and some hidden in your room (or locked away, or locked in hotel /GH safe if they have (get a receipt). Then make sure you have some kind of access to funds via ATM in case (again just a back up). Could even open an account with a set amount in it (or pre-paid credit card). DONT TOUCH this money unless a REAL emergency comes up. Dont even think along the lines of "oh sod it, im gonna splurge, after all i have back up cash". All too easy to fall into that trap. When you budget, only use the money quota you gave yourself that day. Can always try use less so you can splurge out at the end, but dont try to fool yourself into thinking you can splurge at the beginning and be frugal at the end, may end up making your last days (or weeks) a bit miserable. A holiday with not enough spending money can be a tad depressing.

Lastly, if you dont already have, get travel insurance. It may seem like an unnecessary expense, but if anything goes wrong either with your health or you belongings then you will be greatful. Insurance wont be too high for a month and will be worth it.

For your age and budget KSR does appear to be the best option. As suggested, read up on the best places, and read up on scams to watch out for (things like Grand Palance is closed today, but i can take you on a tour - with a stopover at my brothers jem store, and my cousins shoe shop, and..). Thailand is great, but it can also be frustrating if your not a bit savvy. Get an idea of what things should cost, barter, always be polite and remember a smile goes a long way here. It is LOS after all (land of smiles).

Now is NOT the time to come to Thailand. The rising baht is making it a very expensive place for a holiday at the moment. Wait a couple of months because the baht will be crashing soon (economy in the toilet, signs looking like another Asian crash on its way in Thailand, elections coming up in October etc. all point to a rapidly falling baht soon) and then it will be a lot cheaper for you to come here.

And whatever you do, don't buy baht right now. Your offshore exchange rate will be crap - wait till it's gone down and then buy.

Now is NOT the time to come to Thailand. The rising baht is making it a very expensive place for a holiday at the moment. Wait a couple of months because the baht will be crashing soon (economy in the toilet, signs looking like another Asian crash on its way in Thailand, elections coming up in October etc. all point to a rapidly falling baht soon) and then it will be a lot cheaper for you to come here.

And whatever you do, don't buy baht right now. Your offshore exchange rate will be crap - wait till it's gone down and then buy.

<deleted>,

If people really knew the baht was going to do this in two months, it would do it now... (That's what having a floating currency means - the market decides what it's worth)

The Thai baht is not really appreciating anyway. I still get 10% more for a pound than I did in 2001 when I moved here. What American's are really suffering from is their current government's weak dollar policy. (After all it's 2 dollars to the pound now).

However, I do agree with one thing he's said. Don't bother getting any Thai baht in the US. You'll get better rates (smaller spreads, and no commissions) in Thailand.

Kao Sarn Road

I just counted and it was my 9th trip before I got to KSR

I've lived in Bangkok for most of the last 6 years and I still haven't been. :o

(Keep meaning to go and see what the food is like at Oh my Cod, but I don't think I'm in the usual KSR demographic).

Just one suggestion: Whatever budget you end up having/giving yourself, make sure you have emergency funds. And i mean emergency, not 'getting carried away and resorting to using emergency money as Beer Fund money' .

Keep some cash and split it - keeping some hidden on you and some hidden in your room (or locked away, or locked in hotel /GH safe if they have (get a receipt). Then make sure you have some kind of access to funds via ATM in case (again just a back up). Could even open an account with a set amount in it (or pre-paid credit card). DONT TOUCH this money unless a REAL emergency comes up. Dont even think along the lines of "oh sod it, im gonna splurge, after all i have back up cash". All too easy to fall into that trap. When you budget, only use the money quota you gave yourself that day. Can always try use less so you can splurge out at the end, but dont try to fool yourself into thinking you can splurge at the beginning and be frugal at the end, may end up making your last days (or weeks) a bit miserable. A holiday with not enough spending money can be a tad depressing.

Lastly, if you dont already have, get travel insurance. It may seem like an unnecessary expense, but if anything goes wrong either with your health or you belongings then you will be greatful. Insurance wont be too high for a month and will be worth it.

For your age and budget KSR does appear to be the best option. As suggested, read up on the best places, and read up on scams to watch out for (things like Grand Palance is closed today, but i can take you on a tour - with a stopover at my brothers jem store, and my cousins shoe shop, and..). Thailand is great, but it can also be frustrating if your not a bit savvy. Get an idea of what things should cost, barter, always be polite and remember a smile goes a long way here. It is LOS after all (land of smiles).

Bloody 'ell, Eek, if that's your idea of one suggestion I'd hate to see the full schmier :o

Anyway, OP, you could take a whole month and blow a wad of money just doing Nana Plaza or Bangla.

If you like a good time and a little horizontal sport (know what I mean?) take plenty of money.

If you're on a tight budget, best keep Percy in your shorts and stick to drinking tea.

thanks so much guys for the advice

im not really looking into going to thailand as a huge vocation and spend thousands of dollars but more as a place to live temporarily to get the heck outta new york for a bit :o