Thai elephant Sak Surin safely repatriated after 22 years in Sri Lanka

webfact

I’m glad they got him home unharmed. I’m just confused about his health being in good form, considering the reason they brought him home was due to health issues. In any case, I hope he lives a long stress free life at the sanctuary. 

• Like 1

Sak Surin well, except for the wounds on his hips and front leg

F239F596-40CE-426F-AE11-30684B0D3EDC.png

The overall condition of Sak Surin, the Thai elephant recently arrived from Sri Lanka, is good, except two lesions on his hips, which need to be cleaned every day, and the wounds on one front leg, which is crooked and needs to be X-rayed after the 30-day quarantine period, according a veterinarian at the elephant conservation centre in Lampang, Warangkhana Langkaphin.

She said that the wounds on the front leg may pose a problem for the elephant in the long run because of its weight.

The first thorough medical check-up since its arrival at the conservation centre yesterday (Sunday) shows that the elephant is a little fatigued, but he is well overall. He is eating and his digestive system is functioning normally, she said, adding that the animal sleeps on one side and can get up by itself.

#news

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/sak-surin-well-except-for-the-wounds-on-his-hips-and-front-leg/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

She said that the wounds on the front leg may pose a problem for the elephant in the long run because of its weight.

But the poor lad is still chained on his front right leg.

I understand the need for the chain, but on a front leg?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

If you do so much effort for an elephant, then why not do the same for  the gorilla in the mall? 25 years in complete solitude with only gazing stupid people.

IIRC - The poor primate is privately owned and the (deleted) owner will not cooperate with those who wish to relocate it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've just looked up the 'Thai Elephant Conservation Centre (TECC) in Lampang' on You Tube. 

It's just the usual elephant rides, forcing elephants to do shows for tourists, and being kept in chains. 

Poor elephant. These places need to be closed down. It's just animal cruelty. It's not about elpahant  Conservation.  

15 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

face to face with an adult bull elephant. He looks at me, I looked at him,

two males enter the cage...but only ONE will exit...who will it be ladies and gentleman........

pay per view only on True Vision Tv this weekend!   500 bt

15 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IIRC - The poor primate is privately owned and the (deleted) owner will not cooperate with those who wish to relocate it.

As I understood the "owner"' wants a pack of money.

I dont know about Thai laws in having exotic animals, but neglecting taking care would be an issue. Leaving the gorilla all alone IS neglecting, they live in groups. 

What costed shipping this gifted elephant out to Thailand? A lot.

So there is no excuse for doing right with the gorilla.

• Like 1