Bangkok Bank in CNX today.

I had to deposit some cash into my Bangkok Bank account this morning and went the Nimman Branch in CNX. The CDM(Cash Deposit Machine) was not working so I had get a number and see a teller.  Only one teller was working and there were at least fifteen people waiting.  It took an hour for my number to be called.  While I was waiting I saw the employee at the New Accounts desk reject three foreigners who wanted to open account.  All the rejected foreigners had tourist visas. The bank employee said only foreigners on long term visa can open an account.  She also mentioned that if one is on an educational visa it must be from a University and not an academy.  I interpret this to mean that language ed visa or a self defense ed visa cannot be used to open an account at Bangkok Bank.

Has anyone heard the same?  

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, banks are getting strict, agents can help though

Yes maybe that's why banks are ripping us all off and forcing agents to charge ridiculous fees to open a bank account for you.

Maybe agents would be better sticking to working with immigration than working with thieving banks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Only one teller was working and there were at least fifteen people waiting.  It took an hour for my number to be called.

Thai bank service at its best....

It's almost like, gee, they're trying to tell you that they don't want to be paying for physical branches and in-person bank branch staff anymore...

Just rely on technology and their wonderful mobile banking apps instead!  ????  ????  ????

IIRC the Bangkok Bank branch at Pantip Plaza has been closed for quite some time.

As more accounts move to online cashless payment, I suppose the need for service staff and a bricks and mortar bank is reduced.

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Has anyone heard the same?  

Every bank teller in every branch of every bank will tell a different story.

Unless we all spoke to the same teller you visited, we wouldn't have heard the same.

Net time find another bank cash deposit ATM to take your money.

Doesn't have to be your branch or even your bank.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Every bank teller in every branch of every bank will tell a different story.

Unless we all spoke to the same teller you visited, we wouldn't have heard the same.

Net time find another bank cash deposit ATM to take your money.

Doesn't have to be your branch or even your bank.

It doesn't have to be your bank? 

I realize it doesn't need to be a particular branch of say, Bangkok Bank, but I was not aware I could deposit cash at an SCB cash deposit machine and have it appear in my BBL account.  Huh.

Edited by TheAppletons
Typo

The banks must be losing incredible amounts of money from prospective customers. But as I’ve commented privately to people, they just don’t give a damn. You could show up with a dump truck full of gold looking for a place to keep it and they would laugh at you and tell you to ‘eff off. 

• Sad 1