Removal of stalls from Khlong Phadung Krung Kasem pavements begins Monday

snoop1130

vendor.jpg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) began dismantling about 110 stalls today (Monday), illegally located on pavements alongside the Phadung Krung Kasem Canal. They are being removed as part of the BMA’s plan to reclaim the pavement for pedestrians and to beautify the landscape along the canal.

The demolition work is being jointly undertaken by the Bureau of Public Works, the Pom Prap Sattru Phai district office and two other adjoining districts, under the supervision of Deputy Bangkok Governor Jakkapan Piwngarm.

The deputy governor said that most of the 110 vendors on the pavement erect their stalls in the morning and remove them in the evening, but there are 32 vendors who have built permanent or semi-permanent structures, prompting the city’s administration to demolish all structures.

#news

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/removal-of-stalls-from-khlong-phadung-krung-kasem-pavements-begins-monday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The deputy governor said that most of the 110 vendors on the pavement erect their stalls in the morning and remove them in the evening, but there are 32 vendors who have built permanent or semi-permanent structures, prompting the city’s administration to demolish all structures.

Same near where I live, from around 3am stalls start going up along the klong pavements.

You have to walk in the road until around 3pm when they finally start to go home.

Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of these "beautification" projects, they seem to avoid calling them what they are, which is more like "gentrification".

I'm not saying that in some areas it is not out of control, it can become a nuisance, and maybe requires better regulation.  However,  it's the permanent structures today, then another excuse tomorrow - end goal it seems is frequently to be rid of them.

On my Soi, they just came through and kicked out the remainder of the street stalls.  They've been slowly chipping away at it for 10 years. They've also chased the local fresh market from one location to another - one day it too will be gone.

IMHO they should find a creative way to keep the street food vendors and neighborhood markets in business.  It's part of the culture, a major convenience and provides income for many Thai familys.

Maybe it's just me,  However these local businesses promote walking, allow the vendors to be self sufficient, and keeps cars off the road.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Same near where I live, from around 3am stalls start going up along the klong pavements.

You have to walk in the road until around 3pm when they finally start to go home.

Would you prefer the stalls to no longer be there? I generally avoid the areas in Nakhon Pathom like that because it's difficult to park (between Tesa Road and 25 Makara). Interestingly I saw this comparison yesterday in that area. It looks like the klong itself was thriving with life. Bring back the old way if you ask me which would help clear the pavements. 

IMG_20230704_091058.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Would you prefer the stalls to no longer be there? I generally avoid the areas in Nakhon Pathom like that because it's difficult to park (between Tesa Road and 25 Makara).

About 5 minutes from where I live, yes parking or driving is a tad difficult in those areas you mention.

I would not like to see them gone entirely, but just some organisation instead of the free-for-mess it usually resembles.

A bit like Soi 2 early morning

Edited by hotchilli

Street vendors churn a lot of money for the economy. They have to buy whatever they sell and in the process make a living.   With the unpaid loans rising I would think more people earning money

would be a good idea.  

• Like 1