new roof not screwed down

not sure if this is the correct place for this so move if it isnt. We recently had a cabin/storage area built on one of our blocks of land, there was a car port there already but the tin roof was only  used material, we had the builder extend it another 6 mtrs so it was 12 mtrs x 3.5 mtrs, had a new roof put on plus had the walls bricked in/rendered along with windows, doors and a bathroom. I started to put plastic caps on the ends of the exterior steel work and realized the roof had not been screwed down properly, you could lift sections of it up including where the tin panels over lapped so they seperated. There were only 4 or 5  runs of screws in the whole length(not every 80 or so cm) with either 5 or 6 screws in each run( in some only 1 screw per sheet, not 1 every 2nd ridge) so that the panels just lifted up, unfortunately my wife had already paid the builder all the money before I found this out and now we need the roof screwed down properly before we get strong winds or it will be just ripped off. I need to know if there is anyone we can go to to have the builder fix it properly or have him charged for ripping us off, in Australia I would have recourse but here I have no idea, any help would be appreciated.

24 minutes ago, seajae said:

not sure if this is the correct place for this so move if it isnt. We recently had a cabin/storage area built on one of our blocks of land, there was a car port there already but the tin roof was only  used material, we had the builder extend it another 6 mtrs so it was 12 mtrs x 3.5 mtrs, had a new roof put on plus had the walls bricked in/rendered along with windows, doors and a bathroom. I started to put plastic caps on the ends of the exterior steel work and realized the roof had not been screwed down properly, you could lift sections of it up including where the tin panels over lapped so they seperated. There were only 4 or 5  runs of screws in the whole length(not every 80 or so cm) with either 5 or 6 screws in each run( in some only 1 screw per sheet, not 1 every 2nd ridge) so that the panels just lifted up, unfortunately my wife had already paid the builder all the money before I found this out and now we need the roof screwed down properly before we get strong winds or it will be just ripped off. I need to know if there is anyone we can go to to have the builder fix it properly or have him charged for ripping us off, in Australia I would have recourse but here I have no idea, any help would be appreciated.

Mai  bpen lai, no lain in thighland.

• Confused 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, seajae said:

I need to know if there is anyone we can go to to have the builder fix it properly or have him charged for ripping us off, in Australia I would have recourse but here I have no idea, any help would be appreciated.

Buy a box of screws and hire a local builder, tell him to use them all.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 10:11 AM, seajae said:

I need to know if there is anyone we can go to to have the builder fix it properly or have him charged for ripping us off, in Australia I would have recourse but here I have no idea, any help would be appreciated.

TIT, so what you can do in Australia doesn't help you here. You can contact the building-constructor and ask him to do the work properly. However, arguing with a Thai about bad work might not be an easy task, the Thai might risk to lose face. So, it might be much more easy just to hire someone else to screw in the missing screws. Next time, make sure to agree the work to be done in details and check it before the workers leave...:thumbsup:

On 7/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, KhunLA said:

have you asked the builder to return & fix ...

... or finish

Try finish when talking to him, as he won't lose face.  Just say you notice a few loose, and wondering when he'll finish ... ????

I'd just go buy a screw gun/drill, and finish it myself. If you climbed up to put caps on, then your capable to screw it down.

I can just hear the excuse:

"screw holes are the major cause of rust in roof sheeting.  I was trying to save you all the rust problems and this is the thanks I get?  Do it yourself!!"

• Haha 1

Am I the only one that thinks 80cm on center sounds right? It's a POC converted carport. 

If the roof comes up when you pull on it, don't pull on it. 

Edited by Yellowtail

Globally, never pay for the entire job before it's complete. Check all work steps very carefully, especially in LOS!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RanongCat said:

"Use  all on my roof" !

Funny thing went to the builders house he ran the crew and did a very good job… funny 

thing his entire house was painted same as ours… 

On 7/5/2023 at 5:41 PM, Lacessit said:

Just get half a dozen old car tyres and put them on the roof, the wind won't be a problem. Permanent or temporary fix, up to you.

A metal gardening shop had new roof put on… had a lot of window on night next day noticed the roof came upon one corner….. later that day saw a tire on rim holding it down… must be a trade secret 1 year later still hasn’t blown off… 555

80 cm sounds good if there are supports to screw into.  These are self drilling screws.  It's not to hard to do.  Another strike against Thai workers.  How could anyone do such a poor job.  Even on site one could miss this but also it's not the first thing you check on.  It's such an easy task even dir a Thai to understand why it's important.   I'm betting the worker needed new screws on his roof so saved some .   Ie: he is a thief.

As said by others, ask the builder to comeback and put more screws, If does not want to come, back get a neighborhood guy to clime the roof and but more screws. It is an easy job that would probably take a couple of hours with the self tapping screws .

You'll need to have someone just put in galvanized screws.  

You'll 99.9% not get  any recourse on the typical shoddy Thai workmanship.

Luckily it's not the roof to your house. 

It has been my experience that Thai contractors will try to make the work right if the customer is reasonable. 

That said, the bar is generally a bit lower that one might expect from a tradesman in a western country, although the trades in the US have suffered tremendously over the last thirty years. Seeing a lot of crappy work there as well. 

It will depend on the roof frame structure, but length ways on the tin, screws should be 1.2 meters apart To the best of my knowledge and on the overlap. but without a photo not easy to give sound advice. I would tell the builder you have some more work for him, and hand him a box of screws when he arrives. 

tell the builder some roof sheets are loose. He will probably fix it. If he doesn't come, just get the wife to moan to a neighbour about the builder and the roof. News spreads quickly. Then you get a result either way.