My thai step daughter can’t get Thai ID

Dean1953

Our family moved to the U.S. in 2008, when my step daughter was 12 years old.  She just finished pharmacy school in the U.S. and the whole family is at our house in Chiangmai for a month.  She wants to get a thai ID card and has been to 2 government offices but was denied.  She went with her mother, who does have a thai ID card, along with her birth certificate and her grade cards and letters from the school, stating that she went to their school through 7th grade.  The thai official refuse to grant an ID without proof from a local government official who was an official and knew her before she moved to the U.S. I recommended contacting a thai lawyer that specializes in immigration.  I think that she is resigned to not getting it this trip but to try again on a subsequent trip to Thailand.  They are leaving on 15 July, so she still has some time to do it.  Any suggestions?

33 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

All she would need is her Thai birth certificate and her name on a house registration (tabien baan).  Her Thai mother should know this. 

I'm pretty sure that most Amphurs insist on the actual physical presence of the person that is requesting a Thai ID. Even Thais living in Thailand have to do this if they decide to change Amphur (which is why many don't bother)>

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dean1953 said:

The thai official refuse to grant an ID without proof from a local government official who was an official and knew her before she moved to the U.S

That should not be too difficult to arrange.  Put Yai Baan where she lived before going to the US.  Wife's relative or friend who is a government official or one of her old teachers.

Going to need her name in a house book too as stated above.

I relayed the information to my step daughter.  Her response was that she and her mother had gone with her Thai and U.S. passports, her birth certificate, the blue house book and several report cards from Thai schools.  I think that she is frustrated and upset enough to give up trying this trip.  Other than getting a lawyer with connections or offering tea money, I don’t know what else she could have done. 

Both my kids were born in the US and both have Thai IDs and citizenship.  They should be placed on the house list.  Then they need to go to the Amphoe office, and yes sometimes it takes some tea money.  And it also takes some time and repeated visits depending upon the Amphoe, but it can be done.  You might need to contact your local headman or kamnaan to act as "phu yai" and grease those wheels as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dean1953 said:

I relayed the information to my step daughter.  Her response was that she and her mother had gone with her Thai and U.S. passports, her birth certificate, the blue house book and several report cards from Thai schools.  I think that she is frustrated and upset enough to give up trying this trip.  Other than getting a lawyer with connections or offering tea money, I don’t know what else she could have done. 

Didn't she need a Thai ID to get a Thai passport?

25 minutes ago, rwill said:

Didn't she need a Thai ID to get a Thai passport?

Back in 2008 you could (and had to) get an ID card only at age 15. AFAIK now you can get the card at age 6. Children under that age can still get a passport, so no, she didn't have to have an ID in order to get a passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dean1953 said:

You avoided carefully to respond if the girl is even mentioned in the housebook???? Or did they just bring A housebook?????  She needs to be in it.... if she is not in it, start there and register her there...

• Like 1

If she has a Thai passport, her Thai ID number would actually be on the passport.  This number comes from the Thai ID.

55 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Back in 2008 you could (and had to) get an ID card only at age 15. AFAIK now you can get the card at age 6. Children under that age can still get a passport, so no, she didn't have to have an ID in order to get a passport.

The age to get ID card is 7

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

My step daughter was 12 in 2008, when she moved to the States.  What you say makes sense.  I’m now quoting my daughter directly, to avoid any confusion;         “We went with birth certificate, the blue house book (basically to show that i live in a house in thailand), thai passport, mom, and Thai school grade report”

She’s running out of time and patience this trip to get it done. She is right about her 15 year old brother who was born in Thailand and moved to the States at 11 months old and now looks like me, getting a Thai ID card. Besides, if there is any chance of his having to serve in the military, that’s reason enough to give up his Thai citizenship 

2 minutes ago, Dean1953 said:

her 15 year old brother who was born in Thailand and moved to the States at 11 months old and now looks like me, getting a Thai ID card. Besides, if there is any chance of his having to serve in the military, that’s reason enough to give up his Thai citizenship 

All healthy Thai males at the age of 20 have to report to their nearest military office for conscription.

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-military-service/

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Dean1953 said:

My step daughter was 12 in 2008, when she moved to the States.  What you say makes sense.  I’m now quoting my daughter directly, to avoid any confusion;         “We went with birth certificate, the blue house book (basically to show that i live in a house in thailand), thai passport, mom, and Thai school grade report”

She’s running out of time and patience this trip to get it done. She is right about her 15 year old brother who was born in Thailand and moved to the States at 11 months old and now looks like me, getting a Thai ID card. Besides, if there is any chance of his having to serve in the military, that’s reason enough to give up his Thai citizenship 

Am I reading this right that your step-daughter is being denied a Thai ID card due to her absence from the country but her brother got one despite his absence? Is this the same Amphur? How long ago did HE get his ID card?

This proof of a government official who knew her more than 15 years ago is ridiculous. They won't even accept one of her teachers? What's a teacher if not a government official with a different uniform?

The step daughter in question has an older sister who was 17 in 2008 and presumably has a Thai ID card. She has a brother who was 14 in 2008 and I’m not sure if he has one. The youngest in the family, my 15 year old son, who was 11 months old in 2008 when we all moved, does not have a Thai ID card. 

5 years ago, They refused to give my 8 Yr old an ID card because she couldn't speak Thai . She went with her Mum and grandad , with original Thai birth certificate,  Thai passport and house book. They are a law to themselves. Told them to stick it where  the sun doesn't shine, In the end.

We are now all living in uk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

if there is any chance of his having to serve in the military, that’s reason enough to give up his Thai citizenship 

nah it will do him good, help him cut the apron strings and turn him from a mummies boy into a man

• Sad 1

Take a good lawyer along with you on the next trip to the Amphur

so he can explain the law.

Maybe some one higher up is needed,sounds like a typical "i don't want to help you" civil servant.

No need for a bribe,just tell them they will have to explain their behaviour

in court.

(providing you have presented all you need as you seem to have done)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:11 AM, Dean1953 said:

They are leaving on 15 July, so she still has some time to do it.  Any suggestions?

Your daughter needs to be registered as resident in a Thai House Book – a process in the tessa ban-district office – to get a Thai ID-card. A Thai ID-card is only of any use when living in Thailand.

6 hours ago, DrJoy said:

The age to get ID card is 7

It is now. Wasn't in 2008, so OP's daughter could get the passport to leave Thailand back then with no problems. My reply was to someone who wondered how she could get a passport without the ID

5 hours ago, Dean1953 said:

My replay was to someone who asked how could your daughter get a passport without the ID card, not about her situation now.

As for now, I think she could renew her Thai passport at the Thai Embassy in the US without an ID card as she was never issued one, and you can't get a first ID card or of Thailand.

I really don't understand why she has problems getting the card, unless she's under 20 and then both parents have to sign for it. My daughter got her 1st ID card when she was 16. She would have delayed it further but we had to renew her passport and as she was over 15 she needed the card (we live in Thailand fill time).

As far as I remember all we had to show was her birth certificate. Both her mom and I were present. They charged 20 BAHT for the card and another 20 or 40 for being 1 year late....

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Take a good lawyer along with you on the next trip to the Amphur

so he can explain the law.

Maybe some one higher up is needed,sounds like a typical "i don't want to help you" civil servant.

No need for a bribe,just tell them they will have to explain their behaviour

in court.

(providing you have presented all you need as you seem to have done)

Sure, great idea. Every Thai person that goes to the district office always get a lawyer to speak for them. Not.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

My reply was to someone who wondered how she could get a passport without the ID

oh sorry.

My son also got Thai PP without ID at 2yrs old.

Original Thai Birth Cert + original Tabien Baan were required at that time

9 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I really don't understand why she has problems getting the card, unless she's under 20 and then both parents have to sign for it.

I never signed for my son's Thai ID card when my wife went with him to the Amphur and applied for it about 5 years ago around. He was about 10 at the time.