My thai step daughter can’t get Thai ID

Dean1953

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I never signed for my son's Thai ID card when my wife went with him to the Amphur and applied for it about 5 years ago around. He was about 10 at the time.

well, if he is your son and you were married to the mother when he was born then you should have legal guardianship over him WITH the mother and both of you should have been asked to sign. So they probably f*cked up.

44 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:
49 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I never signed for my son's Thai ID card when my wife went with him to the Amphur and applied for it about 5 years ago around. He was about 10 at the time.

well, if he is your son and you were married to the mother when he was born then you should have legal guardianship over him WITH the mother and both of you should have been asked to sign. So they probably f*cked up.

How do you come to that conclusion? He has his ID card and I didn't have to waste time at any Amphur's office. I was out of the country when they went for the ID card anyway.

I know he's my son because I saw him coming out of the hole two years after I married my wife and he's been living with us ever since.

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

nah it will do him good, help him cut the apron strings and turn him from a mummies boy into a manThey can take the 28 year old step son.  However, every morning, he coughs enough to cough up a lung, so I doubt if they would take him. 

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Your daughter needs to be registered as resident in a Thai House Book – a process in the tessa ban-district office – to get a Thai ID-card. A Thai ID-card is only of any use when living in Thailand.

That’s why I’m not overly concerned about it. She has a Pharmacy degree from a U.S. University.  Her future Ks in the U.S., working.  Now that she knows what a PITA Thai officials are, I’m sure that she will be prepared next time she comes to Thailand. 

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Sure, great idea. Every Thai person that goes to the district office always get a lawyer to speak for them. Not.

Well you seem to know better but in a similar case that i was involved in the

civil servant changed his attitude really fast.

There was even no need to talk to his boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife doesn't have a birth certificate, the amphoe couldn't find a record of it - we needed it to get our daughter a UK passport. Wife having thai passport, ID card and in the blue book didn't matter to the Amphoe. Wife had to find a teacher at her old school who would vouch that she attended there to get a replacement document from the Amphoe. Amazingly, still a teacher at her old school who remembered her 35 years ago!

Thai bureaucracy can be pretty ridiculous.

The daughter has school reports from her old Thai school? Then good chance the school will provide the 'proof'. 

On 7/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, jvs said:

Take a good lawyer along with you on the next trip to the Amphur

so he can explain the law.

Maybe some one higher up is needed,sounds like a typical "i don't want to help you" civil servant.

No need for a bribe,just tell them they will have to explain their behaviour

in court.

(providing you have presented all you need as you seem to have done)

No need for a lawyer, just the Thai law printed out and the ombudsman's phone number keyed into the phone so the official can explain it to them, as 'we' are too stupid to understand the problem. Once their name has been noted down and the ombudsman has been called on 02 141 9100, attitudes change fast. 

• Thumbs Up 1