Border run to Mai Sai CLOSED

sirwilly

19 hours ago, elektrified said:

He/she is confused and is talking about Golden Triangle to Laos SEZ by boat. You can drive to Chiang Khong in roughly the same time it takes to drive to Mae Sai - maybe 30 minutes longer. I don't know about CR, but you can catch a bus at Arcade at 9:30 A.M. to Chiang Khong. Arrives at 16:30. Tuk tuk to Immigration 50 Baht. Bus over Friendship Bridge 25 Baht each way. Laos visa cost fluctuates day to day. 1500-2000 Baht. You can stay in Huay Xai or in Chiang Khong. Lots of cheap options for food and accommodation on either side. I don't know about showing onward ticket. What kind of visa do you have?

I PM 'd you..

On 7/6/2023 at 11:45 AM, chalawaan said:

Most western governments travel advisory emails are advising against all but essential travel to Myanmar. 

People think a pack of thugs in a truck can't snatch them for ransom, and possibly execution after years as a hostage?

Look up what has gone on in the Southern Philippines.

Or if you think that's just Islamic terrorism, consider the poor devils out pleasure sailing,  captured by the Cambodian Navy in the pol pot era. 

They ended up tortured to death on a bedframe in Teol Sleng.

I do think thé the OP was referring to border hops, and not venturing into the mountains to be attacked by ethnic rebels !

7 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Great scenery, beautiful women, fantastic food, friendly immigration officers, cheap beer….

In this particular scenario (in and out, no time for anything else) I would only care about the "friendly immigration officers" part, but not accepting USD is the opposite of friendly. Any actual immigration/border reasons to prefer Chiang Khong over Chiang Saen?

2 hours ago, moana said:

but not accepting USD is the opposite of friendly

Why would that be? Everyone I’ve met from and in Lao are very friendly. Why couldn’t you bring a wad of ฿?

2 hours ago, moana said:

Any actual immigration/border reasons to prefer Chiang Khong over Chiang Saen?

Up to you. Do you want to boat across the river or roll over the river?

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

Why would that be? Everyone I’ve met from and in Lao are very friendly. Why couldn’t you bring a wad of ฿?

This is about Laos immigration officers not accepting USD at Huayxay (=Chiang Khong), which goes against their own rules, in order to make a quick buck by demanding THB instead at an inflated exchange rate. See @elektrified's post in the previous page.

I really don't care whether it's by bus or boat. I just want to pay USD and optimize for time. If there are no special reasons to go for the Chiang Khong border then I'll definitely go for Chiang Saen.

1 minute ago, moana said:

This is about Laos immigration officers not accepting USD at Huayxay (=Chiang Khong), which goes against their own rules, in order to make a quick buck by demanding THB instead at an inflated exchange rate. See @elektrified's post in the previous page.

I really don't care whether it's by bus or boat. I just want to pay USD and optimize for time. If there are no special reasons to go for the Chiang Khong border then I'll definitely go for Chiang Saen.

Be sure to bring a wad of ฿

• Sad 1

I just know i have to go in a week and always went to mae sai and was hoping to do again..

but since no one seems to know when that will be im trying to decide between the 2 options

anyone done this by motorbike?  or should just stick with the buses...any tips/links appreciated

10 minutes ago, moana said:

can i ask when you did this run and any info about it as its a whole new run for me...sigh

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I just know i have to go in a week and always went to mae sai and was hoping to do again..

but since no one seems to know when that will be im trying to decide between the 2 options

anyone done this by motorbike?  or should just stick with the buses...any tips/links appreciated

Here's an option https://www.chiangmaivisarun.com/chiang-mai-huay-xai-laos-border-run

• Thanks 1

i think im gonna try and adventure and ride my old honda dream..100 cc  1995.....

https://goeverycorner.com/border-run-chiang-khong-huay-xai/

maybe stay over in CR and consider staying a night in CK if all is a success

still hate having to pay for laos "visa" when my $10 worked just fine at mae sai.....sigh

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i think im gonna try and adventure and ride my old honda dream..100 cc  1995.....

If you're not using a company to go then there's no reason to prefer CK (or, at least, no one provided a good one). CS is 30km closer and might allow USD on the Laos side.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:18 PM, moana said:

In this particular scenario (in and out, no time for anything else) I would only care about the "friendly immigration officers" part, but not accepting USD is the opposite of friendly. Any actual immigration/border reasons to prefer Chiang Khong over Chiang Saen?

have you been to CS?  and whats the USD price these days?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 10:23 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

there was a thread here about an alternate border close by mae sai if u can find it

something about a boat across a small river in that region

Regarding the border run to Laos across the Mekong (not a small river) from Sop Ruak (not close by to Mae Sai), I posted this back in February and presumably it is still accurate.

Go to the immigration office in Sop Ruak. They will stamp you out and they also ask if you have at least 10,000 baht in cash and an outbound air ticket. (On arrival, they did not ask to see that).

After getting stamped out walk out the back door which leads to the boat dock. The boat across to Lao costs 70 baht if there are at least three passengers and they run on demand.

Once on the other side, you disembark and walk up to Lao immigration. The first window checks passports and hands you an arrival form, which you complete, then hand it to the next window and then pay at another window. The visa cost varies by country - for Americans it was 1,500 baht. There is a small duty free shop inside the Lao arrivals hall just after you enter with decent prices on spirits and wine. If you have USD, use those as they were doing 37 baht/dollar for purchases.

You can then go to departures, get stamped out and return to Thailand to get stamped in. The boat back to Thailand costs 150 baht. 

Once back on the Thai side, you just need to go through Thai arrivals and you're stamped back in. The immigration officer advised and confirmed that they will only allow this twice each year.

All together this will cost you 1750 baht which is more than the Mae Sai crossing would cost you, but it’s there if you need it while Mae Sai remains closed. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, moana said:

If you're not using a company to go then there's no reason to prefer CK (or, at least, no one provided a good one). CS is 30km closer and might allow USD on the Laos side.

Hello just did the CK run the other week and no issues...as far as USD goes the 2 guys on Laos side said if i ENTER laos aka spend money there, he will accept 40 usd....i was doing a turnaround which he said is 50usd as im taking my cash back into thailand.....but they DO take usd at CKhong and i was the only person at the huge border checkpoint.....just hate having to buy a laos visa as where mae sai would take 10usd and i wish they would open that border again...

i just paid the 1800 bt at laos side and shot back across the mekong on the 25 bt each way bus

and the thai IO says last stamp for me as its my 2nd and will extend that and head back home

On 7/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, elektrified said:

They won't accept USD at the moment.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:02 PM, bamboozled said:

he said 1800 baht. I said $40 USD ok? He said, no, not if you're just going back straight to Thailand

20 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

if i ENTER laos aka spend money there, he will accept 40 usd....i was doing a turnaround which he said is 50usd

Just came back from Chiang Khong, and had a similar experience but with a different result. Officers asked for ฿1800, I said I only have $40 and persisted. They said if you don't enter the country you must pay ฿1800. I said no problem, I will enter the country, turn around, and exit the country. They acted surprised at the idea, but eventually gave up. They had me fill out the forms, I walked over to the bank window, paid my $40, walked through the gate, turned around, and walked to the departure booth and on to the bus.

So it seems ฿400 (฿1800 - $40) buys you:

- No forms to fill out

- Shorter turnaround time with no arguments

- Saves a ~50m walk through arrival and departure

- Saves a page in your passport since they don't stick a visa in it

If that's worth ฿400 to you, then don't bother going the $40 route. Otherwise, know that $40 is still possible if you insist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, araiwaja said:

Just came back from Chiang Khong, and had a similar experience but with a different result. Officers asked for ฿1800, I said I only have $40 and persisted. They said if you don't enter the country you must pay ฿1800. I said no problem, I will enter the country, turn around, and exit the country. They acted surprised at the idea, but eventually gave up. They had me fill out the forms, I walked over to the bank window, paid my $40, walked through the gate, turned around, and walked to the departure booth and on to the bus.

So it seems ฿400 (฿1800 - $40) buys you:

- No forms to fill out

- Shorter turnaround time with no arguments

- Saves a ~50m walk through arrival and departure

- Saves a page in your passport since they don't stick a visa in it

If that's worth ฿400 to you, then don't bother going the $40 route. Otherwise, know that $40 is still possible if you insist.

I wonder what they're up to? I can't figure the game. Anyone? If you paid them in 40 in USD they could certainly change it. Not sure the USD/Kip rate but black market is much higher than the official, I know that much. But I suppose they would get less than 1800 baht of Kip? Hmm, what's the Baht/Kip exchange rate? Does that make any sense?

3 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I wonder what they're up to? I can't figure the game

When you pay 1800 it stays with the immigration folks and no visa is issued. When you pay $40 it goes to the bank next to the gates. Nuff said.

Edited by moana
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

They could take $40, too. ...It would seem to me. Plenty of places to change it.

The 1800 Baht is no visa so no paperwork and no records.  The $40 is with a visa so there are documents.  Easier to take what there is no record about.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:54 PM, bamboozled said:

I wonder what they're up to? I can't figure the game. Anyone? If you paid them in 40 in USD they could certainly change it. Not sure the USD/Kip rate but black market is much higher than the official, I know that much. But I suppose they would get less than 1800 baht of Kip? Hmm, what's the Baht/Kip exchange rate? Does that make any sense?

he told me he would accept 40 usd if i GO into Laos and spend money...i was doing a turnaround and NOT spending money in laos he said 50 usd......i just paid in bt and went back to thai side

• Like 1