Border run to Mai Sai CLOSED

sirwilly

Oh this is unfortunate news for me. Was due up there in 10 days time. So no reason given...something must have prompted it. Then again, perhaps General So & So woke up on the wrong side of the bed and just said, " %uck it, close the damn gate." Thanks much for the heads up.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Oh this is unfortunate news for me. Was due up there in 10 days time. So no reason given...something must have prompted it. Then again, perhaps General So & So woke up on the wrong side of the bed and just said, " %uck it, close the damn gate." Thanks much for the heads up.

OOOO i was there last week on the 29th and I did snap a pic of a burmese soldier with a rifle...

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I'm waiting patiently for any good news saying it's open again. Before the 17th, please.

there was a thread here about an alternate border close by mae sai if u can find it

something about a boat across a small river in that region

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

there was a thread here about an alternate border close by mae sai if u can find it

something about a boat across a small river in that region

There is the Friendship bridge from Chang Kong to Huay Xai in Laos. That will work, too, it's just a bit more hassle than Mae Sai as you need an official visa. Available on arrival but it's more nerve wracking like all visas are, to me, at least. Mae Sai is super easy. And much cheaper but anyway... It's really the ease of it. The Laos crossing, you might not have the correct paper work, photo, face, etc...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bamboozled said:

There is the Friendship bridge from Chang Kong to Huay Xai in Laos. That will work, too, it's just a bit more hassle than Mae Sai as you need an official visa. Available on arrival but it's more nerve wracking like all visas are, to me, at least. Mae Sai is super easy. And much cheaper but anyway... It's really the ease of it. The Laos crossing, you might not have the correct paper work, photo, face, etc...

agreed on all counts i why i sure feel lucky i made it under the wire as I would have lost my mind if I sat in a bus for 5 hrs and found out it was closed to turn around and come back and have to scramble to go to Laos which is even worse.....I just hope they open it back up....I mean for crossing a simple bridge to do this makes no sense to me why they would close this off.....

9 hours ago, orang37 said:

Until you post proof this happened in Tachilek recently, i can easily not think that.

Well I was there on the 29th and I DID see a burmese guard under the bridge with a assault rifle

gave me a bit of pause.....as not used to seeing that ever in the past border hops..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Did my border bounce there about a month ago (June ???? and I was worried until the last moment that they would close it.  But it was business as usual and very smooth.

confirmed did mine june 29th and was maybe the smoothest and fastest......

did notice they have a security guard at night as i walked up there on the 28th to see if they were open until 9pm as google maps says.........denied.....630am-630pm.......

heres to hoping they reopen as suggested as I will need to be there in 50 days again for #2...

23 hours ago, novacova said:

All is needed is a passport to cross into Huay Xai from what I’ve recently heard, unless something changed. A few extra ฿ will get you in and out in about 45 minutes and on the next bus to Chiangkhong

Huh? You didn't get a visa?

Hmm, how would one find out the official news if open or closed? Googling it doesn't show anything current, not that I found. Is there an official webpage by Myanmar gov. perhaps? Is that expecting, um, a bit too much?

I wonder if it was closed by Thailand or by Myanmar.

Edited by bamboozled

23 hours ago, novacova said:

All is needed is a passport to cross into Huay Xai from what I’ve recently heard, unless something changed. A few extra ฿ will get you in and out in about 45 minutes and on the next bus to Chiangkhong

I did this last November, it was pretty easy and quick. The io took me to cross the border past the line and desk so I didn’t have to wait in line and he told me to wait a half an hour then cross back in to the bus terminal and over the bridge. I think I paid an extra 2000 for the expedited service.

Edited by khunJam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Hmm, how would one find out the official news if open or closed? Googling it doesn't show anything current, not that I found. Is there an official webpage by Myanmar gov. perhaps? Is that expecting, um, a bit too much?

Good luck finding any information on the internet. Never been able to find info other than on a visa run company fb page 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khunJam said:

Good luck finding any information on the internet. Never been able to find info other than on a visa run company fb page 

I was thinking if it was Thailand to close it perhaps they would have noted that somewhere on a gov. website. Hopefully, some boots on the ground will check in.

41 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Huh? You didn't get a visa?

Duh..huh…not for you but for everyone else yes of course. Why would anyone ask such a silly question. And no I didn’t get a visa because I didn’t go, an acquaintance did as easily it is to decipher in my previous post ????????

Edited by novacova
  • Sad 2

According to the thai news:

There's some serious fighting going on the other side. Serious enough that there is about 5100+ refugees just crossed illegally to Mae Hongson area, and we're expecting more in up coming days according to the thai army.

Edited by BKK24

9 hours ago, BKK24 said:

According to the thai news:

There's some serious fighting going on the other side. Serious enough that there is about 5100+ refugees just crossed illegally to Mae Hongson area, and we're expecting more in up coming days according to the thai army.

There is often serious fighting, or massacres by the Tatmadaw, in Myanmar.  I thought things were reasonably quiet in the MaeSai area now.

10 hours ago, heybruce said:

There is often serious fighting, or massacres by the Tatmadaw, in Myanmar.  I thought things were reasonably quiet in the MaeSai area now.

It's happening in Khun Yuam district of Mae Hong Son. This's where those 5100+ refugees are crossing over.
The Thai might have closed the Mae Sai crossing as pre-caution, just in case more refugees want to cross here too.

Edited by BKK24