How Long From First Trip To Expat?

Jingthing

First set foot in Asia as a kid exactly 40 years ago - been an expat ever since.

First trip to Thailand in '74.

Married a Thai in '90.

Almost moved here in '91 then spent almost every year on holiday here.

Moved in full-time in 2005 and loving it...

:o

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting an old, but very interesting, thread.

I arrived in Thailand four days after the tsunami, in 2004, with the intention of doing some reparation work in Phuket. I'd never been here before, but I had a brother here with a Thai wife and newborn daughter. I did my best down in Phuket, but I don't think the altruistic lifestyle is the one for me (plus, I'm a helluva lot more squeamish than I thought I was). I traveled around in Chiangmai, Samet, koh samui/phangan/tao, for four months and completely fell in love with the place. The people, the excitement, the smiles (unfortunately, I couldn't handle the food too well).

Anyway, went back to Canada, and resolved to finish my education degree and get myself back to Thailand within two years. I didn't quite make it, as it took me 2 years, 2 months and 17 days before I was back in Don Muang airport getting hit in the face with the unbearable (for a hefty Canadian) heat. I secured a job at an international school, and have been here for almost two years now.

The only regret I have is that I brought a farang girlfriend with me when I arrived. While I loved the girl to death, the 'pressures' of Thailand got to us both and she went home about seven months after our arrival together. I still love it here, love the people, the excitement, my new girlfriend's smiles (I still can't handle the food), and intend to stay for a minimum of five years. I know that sounds a bit silly, but I think it's a bit more logical than setting a maximum.

Anyway, let's revive this thread: how did you go from tourist to expat?

BFD!

Exactly how did I go from tourist to expat, in Thailand? I had already been an expat in Mexico, and ran out of things to do. I could have gone back and taught English there, but came here as a tourist. I knew Bangkok and Pattaya were not the real Thailand, and decided to check out Chiang Mai by myself. Maybe impulsively, I decided to try it. It still amazes me that I made such a drastic move, but I am glad to be here. This month marks five years. I might even learn the language.

In 1965 the Australian government decided to sent conscripts to Vietnam. They picked the 20 year olds and I must have been right at the top of the list!

I did not see myself as a soldier so I applied for a passport, left home in September 1965 for Singapore. I hitched up to Bangkok, back to Penang, back to BKK and spent the last of my cash on a plane ticket to Calcutta, from there it was by bus, hitch-hiking and walking through India,Pakistan,Afghanistan,Iran Turkey and ended up in Leeds, Yorkshire.

Two years later I was back in Australia, married with kids on the way. Forty years later my wife fell in love with my son's ex-wife and we parted.

I had been travelling to India on an annual basis since 1988, always via Bangkok so I decided Thailand might be a comfortable place to live. I arrived to stay in 2004, got conned into volunteer teaching, fell for the tuckshop lady, married her, bought a house in Pai, and we live here in idyllic happiness.

Visitors welcome!!

Colin

First came here in December 2005 for a month,then came back in February 06 and then again in March 06.

Went back to Uk sold everything gave up my job and moved here September 1 06..

Just wish I had done it earlier..

No intentions to ever go back to the UK...

First trip was a short (10) day break in '93 (just over 15 years ago) from a peace-keeping mission (in Croatia). Loved it. It was so different from any place I'd been before (North America, Europe, Balkans).

Took 5 years to get back again. A few more trips of the next few years, then in 2004 I decided to start living here. Been back to Canada twice since then (1 week holiday and a 6 week training course).

Got the apartment, bank account, motorcycle. Started cutting ties to home, but not completely. I've recently started getting rid of various assets (in Canada) in order to qualify for "non-resident" status. I'm still working (overseas), so I haven't bothered trying to get a long-term visa (yet). I expect to work a few more years, find a nice house and put a nice nest egg in the banks). Too young for a retirement visa and not (quite) ready to get married yet (got to find that special someone as a start !).

I expect that 4-5 years from now, I should be in a postion to be able to settle down more or less permanently, but am keeping my options open. You just never know what the future holds.

What a pleasure to find a thread that is actually staying positive!

I first experienced Thailand on a 2-week R&R from the war in Vietnam in 1966.

I have known ever since that I would someday live in Thailand. It took 35 years but I have now been here for 7 delightful years, met my soulmate almost on arrival and am enjoying life to da max just outside Chiang Mai.

While we do not think of calling anywhere else home, we are considering splitting most of our years between here, Maui Hawaii and Moab Utah which are our two other favorite places in the world and are loaded with dear friends.

Of the people on TV, I suppose I'm fairly atypical. I found the Thai long before I ever found Thailand. Enjoying Thailand is just a pleasant side effect.

There seems to be a handful of us at least... in my wife's sphere it seems like about 10-20% of the Thai students who go abroad on scholarships manage to pick up a western partner along the way. Not all of those succeed in coming back here as a couple though.

My first trip to Thailand was after I already decided to take the plunge to be with my girlfriend (now wife)... so we went for about two weeks to meet her family and give me my first dose of the tropics. That was my only visit until we moved here about three years later, and now we've been here for four years.

I came in Jan-Feb 2004 on vacation & love the Island life(after 11 years in Hawaii) Sold my stuff & moved up in May.

Thailand may not be perfect- but I love the laid back life here! & were we live it is gorgeous!

Like GH my time in Thailand was on the back of an assignment on a full blown expat deal. It WAS a tough job but I enjoyed it.

When I was young I never thought I'd ever leave the UK but then joined the oil and gas business and soon the overseas work rolled in.

'89 was the USA.

'91 Venezuela.

By now I realised that what I loved about the UK was all chocolate box top dreams. Reality was getting further and further away from my idealised picture.

'92 Thailand and by '93 was assigned long term. However '94 had to return to UK to head up a major project in Singapore but after 6 months was reassigned on a long term basis to Thailand.

'04 returned reluctantly to UK and worked on the oil and gas fields in the Irish sea. January '06 joined this project working in Paris while my Malaysian work permit came through then Kuala Lumpur 'til mid '07 then here in central Viet Nam.

So I guess my transition was '91 - '92. Still not committed 100% to Thailand but events are moving along and the next two weeks might just see me take the plunge. I have nothing to return long term to in the UK and am starting to miss not having a place to call home. Thailand aint perfect but it's good enough for me. :o

I didn't like Thailand the first few times I came here as a tourist, about 3 times over 5 years.

I came again intending to do an overland trip to Bali but got a job outside Bangkok and fell in love with the place and have been here 13 years since then and will retire here.