US Social Security

The Embassy in Bangkok does not deal with SS everything is done at the Embassy in Manila

17 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Does anyone on here know if there is a Social Security Advisor at the American Embassy?  If so, do you have a name?  

what is your concern with SS, some people on this group will be able to help

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

The Embassy in Bangkok does not deal with SS everything is done at the Embassy in Manila

what is your concern with SS, some people on this group will be able to help

It's not me, it's a Thai friend who worked in the US for about 12 years, paid into SS, now living back in Thailand but is turning 62 and wants to collect his SS.  I am recommending he go to the US Embassy and talk to a Social Security Advisor, if there is one.  Thanks.  

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There isn't one.

As said, contact FBU Manila. 

Do they have an email address there?  How do you get in touch with them?  Thanks J.  

8 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

It's not me, it's a Thai friend who worked in the US for about 12 years, paid into SS, now living back in Thailand but is turning 62 and wants to collect his SS.  I am recommending he go to the US Embassy and talk to a Social Security Advisor, if there is one.  Thanks.  

He will have to contact the US Embassy in the Philippines, they have a website for SS, also a phone number but very limited hours as when you can talk to them.

14 hours ago, flexomike said:

He will have to contact the US Embassy in the Philippines, they have a website for SS, also a phone number but very limited hours as when you can talk to them.

Thank you, found the email address,  

• Like 1

OP,

As other have said the Manila SSA Office in the U.S. Embassy - Philippines handles SSA issues for most countries in this part of the world....Thailand is one of around 40 countries they are responsible for.   The U.S. Embassy/Consulate in Bangkok and Chiang Mai will just refer you to Manila.

Use below Manila SSA Office Inquiry form that dingdongrb provided earlier and I'm listed again below.  Use the Inquiry Reason of "Apply for Social Security Benefits" and be sure to fill-out the Inquiry form completely otherwise you will not get an answer or just an email from from the office later asking for the info. In the comments block state the person wants to apply for social security pension benefits via telephone interview and provide any other comments which might be considered helpful.   

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/fbu-inquiry-form/

I have already hand walked 2 Thai people (Thai and American citizenships) completely thru the benefits application process with Manila over the last 5 years or so.  And I'm currently hand-walking a third Thai (Thai & American citizenships) who started the process a severa weeks ago via the inquiry form.  Got an initial email response from Manila about 10 days later....a response asking for all the info that was provided in the inquiry form and the bottom of that email even listed all the info in the initial inquiry form submission.  So, it was sent again via email this time an it's been about 10 days so far with no answer from Manila year regarding the next step like scheduling a telephone interview. 

Now trying to contact Manila SSA via phone call to them has a great chance of ending in failure...listening to some brief elevator music...then a voice so no SSA agents are available...please call back again during certain days/hours.   What it boils down to is correspondence with Manila will be by email and/or snail mail except the scheduled telephone interview that Manila will initiate.   And while your friend may get lucky and get some email replies from Manila within days, do not be surprised if emails with Manila take weeks or longer to be responded to and/or their responses not making much sense sometimes.  So, be sure you friend is email proficient. 

Now a person does not need to be an American citizen to draw U.S. social security pension....just needs to have earned the required 40 SSA credits/worked at least 10 years and generally lived in the U.S. at least 5 years...requirements your Thai friend meets.  

Good luck....Manila can be slow to deal with but "sometimes" you get surprised and things move along at a good clip...or at least in years past they were sometimes fairly fast....not sure about "now."    Each person's application is different and can also depend on the particular SSA rep you end up getting assigned to the application.    Good luck to your friend...and remember email/inquiry form is your best friend when trying to communicate with the Manila SSA office.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, khaowong1 said:

I would suggest the first step is to have your friend go to https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/.  Have them register for an account to verify they have at least 40 credits.  Not saying it's the case with your friend, but my wife had a friend who discovered she is not eligible for SS because most of her working years, she was being paid under the table so she won't qualify.  Good luck.

34 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

I would suggest the first step is to have your friend go to https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/.  Have them register for an account to verify they have at least 40 credits.  Not saying it's the case with your friend, but my wife had a friend who discovered she is not eligible for SS because most of her working years, she was being paid under the table so she won't qualify.  Good luck.

The friend would not be able to register for a SSA online account until passing a Login.gov or ID.me identify verification.   Login.gov will require a non-expired U.S. drivers license but with ID.me a passport is accepted but I'm not sure if it must be a U.S. passport or any country's passport.  And not sure if passing the Login.gov and/or ID.me identity verification test if having a U.S. address is still a requirement to initially create a SSA online acct.

A person does "not" need an SSA online acct to apply online.  If the person has a non-U.S. address like a Thailand address they can apply without having an SSA online acct.  Use this SSA link:  https://www.ssa.gov/apply

However, the online application would surely be relayed/handed off to the Manila SSA office to initially review and setup a telephone interview "in the case of a non-U.S. citizen in Thailand....and possibly even for a dual Thai-U.S. citizen in Thailand" where Manila is probably going to ask for certain documents like mailing in the original or certified true copies of the person's passport, naturalization certificate, bank direct deposit form, and maybe various other docs. 

However, if a U.S. citizen by birth and living in Thailand I would just recommend applying online vs via telephone interview with Manila as the application would probably not be referred to Manila for any initial processing/review/contact with the applicant.

Each person's application is different and will drive a different level of review/set of documents to be sent to the SSA "especially for a foreign national or dual citizen."

And if the person's earnings record does not show at least 40 credits that will be the first thing Manila tells the person after the person inquires about applying for a SSA pension.

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

I called the US number (1 800 772 1213 / 8am - 7pm M-F) given on the main SSA contact us page a number of months back (I had an account set up previously, but needed a new password).   They were very helpful, and were even able to tell me my likely benefit amount.   If a pre-existing account isn't required, this may be the easiest way to find out if one has the required number of quarters in the system. 

-- Retiree 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:39 PM, howlee101 said:

Not everyone will be able to register on that site.

It requires an identity check that refers to a US credit report.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thank you J,,,, I had him do that.  and he qualifies  

Opt out of Medicare because living in Thailand

Hi, I'm a first-timer, please forgive my ignorance.

I'm considering changing my Social Security contact address from the US to Thailand to avoid paying for unnecessary medical insurance.  I reside in Thailand full-time.

- Has anyone tried this technique ?

- Can anyone think of any unintended consequences ?

- Does anyone have a different suggestion ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, MWH Seattle said:

I'm considering changing my Social Security contact address from the US to Thailand to avoid paying for unnecessary medical insurance.  I reside in Thailand full-time.

Thanks

Why are you paying for unnecessary medical insurance ?  Medicare is free, part A or what ever.  Keep that, just in case you need in the future.  You never know.  The other parts, I agree, are a waste to have if living here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWH Seattle said:

Thanks

I assume you want to drop Medicare Part B which has a standard monthly premium of approx $170.  Now Part A is free.   As you implied Medicare can not be used outside the U.S. except in certain emergency cases.  You can signup for and maintain Medicare Part A and B regardless of your U.S. "or foreign address" although as mentioned using Medicare outside the U.S. is a no-go.

Merely changing your address to a non-U.S. address will "not" cancel Medicare Part B.  You will need to contact SSA for an interview followed by completion of a SSA form. 

ENSURE you really want to do this because if you want to signup for Part B again in the future there will be a 10% per year premium penalty for lifetime.  Example: if dropping out of Part B for 5 years but then reenroll there will be a 50% Part B premium increase for your lifetime.

How to Cancel Medicare Part B

https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/sign-up/ready-to-sign-up-for-part-a-part-b/how-to-drop-part-a-part-b

https://eligibility.com/medicare/part-b/part-b-how-to-disenroll

Edited by Pib

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Why are you paying for unnecessary medical insurance ?  Medicare is free, part A or what ever.  Keep that, just in case you need in the future.  You never know.  The other parts, I agree, are a waste to have if living here.

That's debatable.

Yes everyone should be on free Part A 

You can opt out of expensive Part B but if you ever repatriate the penalties are massive and permanent.

My theory is that lots of people who think they will never repatriate actually eventually do.

The penalty for not enrolling in Part B is 10% of the base premium for every 12 months that one does not participate. If one enrolled after ten years' non-participation, the base premium plus penalty would come to $340 per month. The break-even point would be ten years after the late enrollment. Assuming one starts Medicare Part A at 65, enrolls in Part B at age 75, the break even point is at age 85 if one only pays the base premium. This may be a deal-breaker for some or perhaps most.

The calculations are different for those whose income levels attract a surcharge for Part B. For those who have other taxable income, perhaps a business, investments, IRA withdrawals, rental income, etc. the surcharges are significant. An income of $200,000 would attract a monthly surcharge of 362.60. After ten years' non-participation, the premium savings would be $63,912 (170+362.60x120). The total amount of the penalty that would need to be paid the next ten years after the ten-year delayed enrollment in Part B would be $20,400 (170x120). The non-participant is far ahead. The cross-over point at which the total penalty exceeds the total premiums saved is more than 30 years out from enrollment in Part B at age 75 and forty years out from age 65. In other words, one would have to live to 105 to reach the cross-over point. This is all due to the fact that the penalty is only calculated on the base premium and not the income surcharge.

Quite compelling for those who incur a surcharge and who may not need to use Medicare for a while.

The above ignores time value of money and any possible changes in Part B premiums in the future.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, true, however, if you delete Part B, and you go back to the US, and renew your Plan B, it becomes really expensive.  I know, I did that.  

23 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Thank you J,,,, I had him do that.  and he qualifies  

Ahhhh... turns out, he has a felony warrant on him from Florida, still open, and he can't qualify.  

5 hours ago, Pib said:

As you implied Medicare can not be used outside the U.S. except in certain emergency cases.  ..........although as mentioned using Medicare outside the U.S. is a no-go.

I am confused, can Medicare ever be used in Thailand and if so when could that occur?

3 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Yes, true, however, if you delete Part B, and you go back to the US, and renew your Plan B, it becomes really expensive.  I know, I did that.  

apparently not in MWH's plan

8 hours ago, MWH Seattle said:

I'm considering changing my Social Security contact address from the US to Thailand to avoid paying for unnecessary medical insurance. 

..... I reside in Thailand full-time....

Simply cancel, easy enough.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:26 AM, Jingthing said:

I set up an account for my Thai wife using the login.gov link and it didn't ask me anything about a US credit report.

1 hour ago, howlee101 said:

I set up an account for my Thai wife using the login.gov link and it didn't ask me anything about a US credit report.

I assume it asked you identify verifying questions. That information is from credit reports.