Non-imm. type o - for support of child

Here's my situation. I have a Thai wife; but, I cannot yet register the marriage. We now have a son & I should qualify for the 90 day, non-immigrant, "O" visa. We live in Bangkok & I need to obtain a new visa near the end of June. What neighboring consulates in SE Asia can you recommend? I've heard that it's chaos up in Vientainne (same might be true in PP).

I got my last tourist visa in Singapore ... nice atmosphere and pleasant service there ... but to afford it, I stayed in Little India & ate at the food courts at malls!

Also, exactly what will I have to show ? ... I have the original birth certificate. Thanks for any advice.

Sorry to bear bad news...but you are gonna pressed to obtain a visa anywhere in the region.   However you cut it,  you are not legally married, and Thailand does not recognize de facto relationships. Europe USA and Australia may help you,  but if you were pushed financially to go to Singapore I guess those options are not for you. It MIGHT be worthwhile going off to Immigration and ask for advice

VI.   For the purpose of visiting family in Thailand,

1. to visit as a spouse of a Thai national, the applicant must present a valid and effective marriage certificate (original) and a copy of the Thai national's passport/ I.D. card of the spouse.  In addition, we require a letter from the Thai spouse stating that he or she is still married to the applicant.  Fiancés or fiancées are not included in this category.

2. to visit as a relative of a Thai national, the applicant must show documents proving such relationship.

Believe being the father of a Thai child should allow you to obtain a non immigrant visa and I would present birth cirtificate/copy at the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang.  You could also take a letter from mother explaining why marriage has not yet taken place but this probably would not be required; along with a copy of her ID card just for more paperwork.

Given the confusion over the situation, I think I will call the Thai embassy in Singapore, and ask if they would grant this visa, and also what documents, etc. are required to obtain

such a visa.

The last time I was in Singapore, the staff at the Thai embassy was extremely polite and very helpful. I attribute this to their high level of proficiency in the English language.

One poor fellow from India (ahead of me) was given a hard time because he didn't understand the English on the application ... I filled out the next application for him & they granted him the visa.

I"ll let you know what they say when I call them.

Believe being the father of a Thai child should allow you to obtain a non immigrant visa and I would present birth cirtificate/copy at the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang.  You could also take a letter from mother explaining why marriage has not yet taken place but this probably would not be required; along with a copy of her ID card just for more paperwork.

Lopburi3, exactly! This attack plan should work both in Penang and Singapore!

Here's my situation. I have a Thai wife; but, I cannot yet register the marriage. We now have a son & I should qualify for the 90 day, non-immigrant, "O" visa. We live in Bangkok & I need to obtain a new visa near the end of June. What neighboring consulates in SE Asia can you recommend? I've heard that it's chaos up in Vientainne (same might be true in PP).

I got my last tourist visa in Singapore ... nice atmosphere and pleasant service there ... but to afford it, I stayed in Little India & ate at the food courts at malls!

Also, exactly what will I have to show ? ... I have the original birth certificate. Thanks for any advice.

I did this for years with 4 kids....

1. go with girlfriend to Umpur and register that you are the legal father. Used to be some dirty page in a school journal, maybe thats changed. Smaller umpurs may not know how to do it...

2. With that paper you can take the kid out of the country if they have a thai passport (I have done that as well) .

Please note that under Thai law lying who is father when registering the baby is a one way process. ie you cannot register as no father and later trying to change that.

Also recommend changing surnames of kids to mama's name.

Less chance on problems in school like with entrance examss. The less they can see on paper that the thai kid isnt 100% Thai the better...

Lopburi3, exactly! This attack plan should work both in Penang and Singapore!

Penang no problem, I used to get multiple year entries on these papers, take birth certificates and paper you are the father...

Note in theory but immigration disslikes it, you can also use it to get a year visum as requirement is supporting a Thai national, not a Thai wife. As its a huge loophole they are less then happy if you try to use it so it likely gets refused,...