Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny review: Uneven and erratic despite a game Harrison Ford

Social Media

Harrison Ford is in typically redoubtable form in his fifth and final Indiana Jones film, titled The Dial of Destiny, but it is otherwise sprawling and very uneven. It starts promisingly with an action sequence toward the end of the Second World War in which somehow, using the magic of CGI, Indiana is shown as a youngish man tussling with the Nazis. This is when he first encounters the fiendish Jurgen Voller (Mads Mikkelsen). This prelude offers exactly what you expect from an Indiana Jones adventure: chases, explosions and an epic fight sequence on top of a runaway train. Toby Jones registers strongly as Indy’s companion, Basil Jones, a diminutive, eccentric but staunchly heroic English academic who helps Indiana stay alive.

• Like 1

It was much better than I expected.

Probably the only flaw was non-introduction of characters with no background information. They just appeared with zero indication of their motivation, apart from some scraps later on.

So there were some "who are they?" moments.

Apart from that, the movie was pretty good.

Better bone up on your Greek history, though. I gave my Thai lady friend a briefing on Archimedes before the movie. Sure enough, what I told her featured in the movie. Unfortunately, she had zoned out during my briefing and was totally confused by the historical references.

• Like 1