Teenage girl wants motorcycle

Very responsible young 18 yr old wants a motorcycle for use in Chiang Mai..

At the moment she does not have a license - - I would be very against this but what are the liabilities? 

I see HS kids riding around all the time... 

Are there any figures on teenage accidents? And Fatalities? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

1. No license no motorbike.

2. No helmet no motorbike.

3. No training no motorbike.

4. Everything in order? Have fun with your new motorbike.

this

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

1. No license no motorbike.

2. No helmet no motorbike.

3. No training no motorbike.

4. Everything in order? Have fun with your new motorbike.

What he said.

There is no question that riding two wheels is dangerous, but there is no way for your to stop her if it is her wish. All you can do is provide the very best instruction (and that needs to be not just 'how to steer the bike' but 'situational awareness' too.) And then. keep your fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure about statistics here, they say there are a lot of motorbike accidents, but comparing to what, which other countries...!? Are they dividing the number by kilometers ridden by bikes annually in this country...? Do they even know that number..., say if that is X in some western country, then it is million times X here...., There are so many people ride bikes here, it's not comparable...! 

So it's more risky, as oppose to what, smoking, drinking...? 

Now on another note I think bike accident numbers are actually really low here considering the riding and driving habits of Thais, it's a miracle, I can see them every day, just a millisecond or a few centimeters here or there and they should smash to each other, only Buddha saves them....!!!!!? 

As for OP the license or even helmet won't save anyone on bike, specially in a hard accident..., 3 things save her, training, experience, and cautious riding...., Try to provide that...! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

At the moment she does not have a license - - I would be very against this but what are the liabilities? 

Get her some proper training at a decent driving school

https://www.letsridetheworld.com/rider-training/

https://catmotors.net/training/

7 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

What he said.

There is no question that riding two wheels is dangerous, but there is no way for your to stop her if it is her wish. All you can do is provide the very best instruction (and that needs to be not just 'how to steer the bike' but 'situational awareness' too.) And then. keep your fingers crossed.

I would add NO Cell Phone Use on the bike minimum 30 days loss of bike and if 2nd time 6 months you lose the bike. Teach her to ride properly and what to watch out for so she can understand what's really at stake.  If there's a local bike accident, take her to see what can happen. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Not much they can do to stop them but I have to agree, the roads here are deathtraps especially for inexperienced 2wheeled vehicle riders.

Yes but if a father or a friend make sure she has proper training if you can't teach them yourself and put them through DLT test and at least get a DL first especially in CM, the place is a nightmare for traffic.

6 hours ago, Dan O said:

I would add NO Cell Phone Use on the bike minimum 30 days loss of bike and if 2nd time 6 months you lose the bike

2nd time, you lose the phone. Much worse than losing the bike!

• Haha 1

The riding and driving licence test is a joke here, I was at DLT a few months ago for a friend computer test, so watching the practical tests outside...., If you see them how they qualify, you laugh...????

Even truck drivers were there, I couldn't believe it, is it really what they have to do to get a truck licence....!!!? Just reverse straight, and go around a few bends at 10kph....!  I hope this is not for big trucks..., it's shameful comparing to say a UK test...????????

Thai government should really wake up and do more ...!

My son is still in single digits, I have a motorcycle. 

My Son going on my motorcycle with me (on the road) is simply a no-go... ever !... 

We are already planting the seed that he will never have a motorcycle and will not be permitted to travel pillion on a motorcycle if any of his friends have one. 

What we will do though is get another car once he is of the legal age to drive and he can 'share' our cars. 

Obviously there is a financial decision and motorcycles are simply a lot more convenient for getting around towns such as Chiang Mai... however... the risks of a teen on a motorcycle by far outweigh any convenience. 

IF the op can go that far - 18 is the legal age of driving, get her something she can't fall off that offers better protection - i.e. get a her a small car. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

She may be responsible, but will she say no when 4 of her friends want a lift somewhere?

Is she immune to teen pressure which will be not to wear a helmet, IMO.

If she doesn't have a license will she be insured?

I don't know the death rate, but m'bikes are apparently the major participants in fatalities on Thai roads.

The accident may not be her fault, but how will you feel if the m'bike you give her lets her be killed or maimed.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes but if a father or a friend make sure she has proper training if you can't teach them yourself and put them through DLT test and at least get a DL first especially in CM, the place is a nightmare for traffic.

No amount of training can stop the other idiot on the road driving into you. I was stationary when some guy drove into me. I was lucky to just have a broken hand and lose several thousand baht. My helmet saved my life.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No amount of training can stop the other idiot on the road driving into you. I was stationary when some guy drove into me. I was lucky to just have a broken hand and lose several thousand baht. My helmet saved my life.

Someone driving into you where ?

CM is so busy at times she will need good training.

Some accidents you cannot avoid which sounds like the one you experienced.