Teenage girl wants motorcycle

On 7/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

young 18 yr old

Only if she gets her licence.

That would be my edict.

Better than driving on some show-off boys bike with no rear view mirrors or muffler.

Lots of police checks.  With a licence, helmet, and traditional rational Thai girl driving she'll be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Isn't this procedure just what gets people killed or injured? I doubt that they teach road awareness, rules of the road and adhering to them. Tell me I'm wrong. It might enable a person get a license. But a license doesn't mean you are a proficient rider.

my post says that DL is easy to take not the knowledge to drive.

5 minutes ago, indyo said:

my post says that DL is easy to take not the knowledge to drive.

That's the problem in UK where I use to teach motorbike riding.

That said uk is a better system.

When Thailand catches up maybe then things will get better.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Yes I have two children and believe it kinder to teach them the benefits of learning to live within their means rather than buy them things for nothing. Is that old school?

Well, you called it old school... my kid has never wanted much but things like iPads etc are used for school as well as fun. she is such a great kid that I don't mind buying her a good phone etc... her clothes and extras she buys from her allowance. An 18 yr old teenage girl and she has never been anything but polite and attentive - and never an eye roll. I am proud of the adult she is becoming. 

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

That would be my edict.

Better than driving on some show-off boys bike with no rear view mirrors or muffler.

Lots of police checks.  With a licence, helmet, and traditional rational Thai girl driving she'll be fine. 

Agreed and stated.

On 7/8/2023 at 8:19 PM, richard_smith237 said:

a cheap car is the best solution IMO but can the Op afford 200k for a car ?....  

Unless she's his daughter the OP has no obligation to pay 200 baht for her let alone 200k.

Would any of us buy a child of another man a car back home?

On 7/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, Kwasaki said:

Being a courier rider in Central London without taking before my advanced motorbike riding test, somehow I don't think I would be here now. ????

2 doctors I worked with in London got smashed up while riding m'bikes, and both very serious responsible characters.

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

That would be my edict.

Lots of police checks. 

LOL. In all my years riding in Chiang Mai and in the village only had one police check. In the village the cops were invisible outside the station.

In Lamphun the only "checks" were every morning to make money off riders without helmets. I used to watch riders put a helmet on before riding through the check point and taking it off after going through.

Can't say I've noticed much "traditional rational Thai girl driving" while in LOS, though older riders were more cautious than schoolgirls.

I never let my wife drive with me in the car because she became a nutter on the road.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

2 doctors I worked with in London got smashed up while riding m'bikes, and both very serious responsible characters.

Never got to pass any doctors in advanced motorcycle training who rode motorbikes.

Sorry to hear of them having serious accidents.

• Like 1

Just teach kids to look at side mirrors every 10 or 20 seconds, rather than throw them away, simple, that alone reduce risk of bike accident here by 25%...., next look before around turning anywhere , another 25% , a few more and risk reduced to the same as doing dope on a night out - try stopping that...!!!

As the chicks say in Thailand, side mirrors are for doing makeup, na ka....!? ????

4 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Just teach kids to look at side mirrors every 10 or 20 seconds, rather than throw them away, simple, that alone reduce risk of bike accident here by 25%...., next look before around turning anywhere , another 25% , a few more and risk reduced to the same as doing dope on a night out - try stopping that...!!!

As the chicks say in Thailand, side mirrors are for doing makeup, na ka....!? ????

Yeah whenever son or daughters borrow my scoot it's always re-adjust left wing mirror.

On 7/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Very responsible young 18 yr old wants a motorcycle for use in Chiang Mai..

At the moment she does not have a license - - I would be very against this but what are the liabilities? 

I see HS kids riding around all the time... 

Are there any figures on teenage accidents? And Fatalities? 

80% of the traffic fatalities in Thailand are motorcyclists.

The average Thai has no concept of safe driving or defensive driving.  And even if they did?  This place is a horror.
If this is YOUR 18 year old?

Buy her a car.  At least she'll have metal wrapped around her. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

80% of the traffic fatalities in Thailand are motorcyclists.

The average Thai has no concept of safe driving or defensive driving.  And even if they did?  This place is a horror.
If this is YOUR 18 year old?

Buy her a car.  At least she'll have metal wrapped around her. 

This is a nice stats, wherever you got it from, now this means there are say 4 times more fatalities on bikes than say cars (assume 20% rest are cars)...

Now let's see, do you have stats for how much annual traffic is by bikes on the road here...!? This is the key you need to add to understand this statistics...! 

If say there are 10 times more traffic by bikes than cars, which could be an underestimate in this country, then on half bike/car breakdown we should have more fatalities than 80%..., So 80% is actually low...!?!?

Stats are hard to understand without full data...! 

On 7/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, Agusts said:

This is a nice stats, wherever you got it from, now this means there are say 4 times more fatalities on bikes than say cars (assume 20% rest are cars)...

Now let's see, do you have stats for how much annual traffic is by bikes on the road here...!? This is the key you need to add to understand this statistics...! 

If say there are 10 times more traffic by bikes than cars, which could be an underestimate in this country, then on half bike/car breakdown we should have more fatalities than 80%..., So 80% is actually low...!?!?

Stats are hard to understand without full data...! 

Valid point.. nearly...  here's how that query works out. 

In Thailand there are: 

21,452,050 motorcycles in Thailand.

10,530,697 Cars (up to 7 seats) in Thailand.

6,897,580 Vans & Pickups in Thailand.

435,360 mini-busses (7 seats and up).

There are 25,000 road fatalities yearly in Thailand (*WHO estimate)

Of which 80% are motorcyclists. 

In Thailand there is: 

93 deaths per 100,000 motorcycles.

27 deaths per 100,000 cars, pickups, vans & mini-busses

Thus: Per vehicle type a person is 3.3x more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car. 

Another interesting stat: It is statistically safer to drive a 4 wheeled vehicle in Thailand than in USA.

(Thai hates are going to hate and question that sat - but I've crunched those numbers a handful of times and always come up with the same result).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Valid point.. nearly...  here's how that query works out. 

In Thailand there are: 

21,452,050 motorcycles in Thailand.

10,530,697 Cars (up to 7 seats) in Thailand.

6,897,580 Vans & Pickups in Thailand.

435,360 mini-busses (7 seats and up).

There are 25,000 road fatalities yearly in Thailand (*WHO estimate)

Of which 80% are motorcyclists. 

In Thailand there is: 

93 deaths per 100,000 motorcycles.

27 deaths per 100,000 cars, pickups, vans & mini-busses

Thus: Per vehicle type a person is 3.3x more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car. 

Another interesting stat: It is statistically safer to drive a 4 wheeled vehicle in Thailand than in USA.

(Thai hates are going to hate and question that sat - but I've crunched those numbers a handful of times and always come up with the same result).

Thanks for digging up all these numbers, very informative, it gives a better picture of just say 80% of death due to motorbikes...

As someone else mentioned the km covered by those vehicles would be useful, but more importantly, what percentage of those km are done in dangerous inner city traffic rather than highway miles...! ? 

There's no denial about dangers on the roads here in Thailand, but accident rates about motorbikes ridden by responsible adults with experience and proper care and equipment is very different in my opinion....

One can cross the road without looking and get run over by a car too...! Same on bikes...

• Thumbs Up 1