Biden wants to roll back Trump’s expansion of short-term health insurance plans

Social Media

image.png

The Biden administration wants to crack down on short-term health insurance plans, which it says can leave patients saddled with hefty medical bills.

The proposed rule, announced Friday as part of a series of actions aimed at lowering health care costs, would limit the duration of these controversial plans to three months with the option of a one-month extension. It would also require that plans provide consumers with clear explanations of their benefits, which are typically less comprehensive than other policies.

The proposal would largely reverse former President Donald Trump’s expansion of short-term plans in 2018, which extended the duration of the policies to just under a year and allowed them to be renewed for a total of up to 36 months. The move was one of many actions the prior administration took to chip away at the Affordable Care Act.

FULL STORY

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, we need fewer options and more regulation in the medical insurance industry to drive down the cost and improve coverage. 

I feel heathier already! 

Let's all be grateful for the fantastic success of the insurance industry at keeping medical costs low. That's why America has the lowest medical cost of any economically developed country in the world...or is it the opposite? But at least the outcomes in the USA are better than in any other developed nation...or is it close to the opposite?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Let's all be grateful for the fantastic success of the insurance industry at keeping medical costs low. That's why America has the lowest medical cost of any economically developed country in the world...or is it the opposite? But at least the outcomes in the USA are better than in any other developed nation...or is it close to the opposite?

I think it's closer to the opposite, but you're welcome to prove otherwise, perhaps with the same old life expectancy ruse you love. 

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

For those who didn't catch the opposite, it is the opposite on cost and outcomes.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

For those who didn't catch the opposite, it is the opposite on cost and outcomes.

Wow, major proof-read oversight.  I meant to post:

For those who didn't catch the sarcasm, it is the opposite on cost and outcomes.

Sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

Good catch, I should have read and responded more carefully. 

I believe that the high cost of medical care in the US is primarily due to government intervention, not insurance companies. 

I also believe that the medical care provided in the US as good or better to than in any other county in the world, and I have never seen anything at all convincing that shows it's not.

In my opinion, given the number of variables, using life expectancy alone to gage the quality of medical care is ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Good catch, I should have read and responded more carefully. 

I believe that the high cost of medical care in the US is primarily due to government intervention, not insurance companies. 

I also believe that the medical care provided in the US as good or better to than in any other county in the world, and I have never seen anything at all convincing that shows it's not.

In my opinion, given the number of variables, using life expectancy alone to gage the quality of medical care is ridiculous. 

So why is healthcare in Europe cheaper despite varying degrees of Government intervention ranging from tight control to full control?

US medical care as good or better than any country in the world?

Show me an example of US integrated medical provision running from family practitioner through hospital to long term health care supported by community doctors and nurses that comes anywhere near that available across. Europe and I might start to believe you.

Come over and have a look for yourself, see if you can find anyone bankrupted by medical bills, or anyone unable to afford their insulin or other vital medication, such obscenities are not a thing over here.

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2022/07/how-does-the-us-healthcare-system-compare-to-other-countries

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So why is healthcare in Europe cheaper despite varying degrees of Government intervention ranging from tight control to full control?

I give up, why? 

US medical care as good or better than any country in the world?

Show me an example of US integrated medical provision running from family practitioner through hospital to long term health care supported by community doctors and nurses that comes anywhere near that available across. Europe and I might start to believe you.

Do you have anything that supports your claim that it's better? If not, you're just stating your unsupported opinion as fact. 

Come over and have a look for yourself, see if you can find anyone bankrupted by medical bills, or anyone unable to afford their insulin or other vital medication, such obscenities are not a thing over here.

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2022/07/how-does-the-us-healthcare-system-compare-to-other-countries

Wow, another disinformation piece from the left pretending life expectancy is a good measure of health care. 

50 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I give up, why? 

Do you have anything that supports your claim that it's better? If not, you're just stating your unsupported opinion as fact. 

Wow, another disinformation piece from the left pretending life expectancy is a good measure of health care. 

Is it disinformation to say there are people in the US that are bankrupted by healthcare costs?

Is it disinformation to say there are people in the US that can’t afford insulin and other essential medicines?

Edited by Chomper Higgot

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Is it disinformation to say there are people in the US that are bankrupted by healthcare costs?

Is it disinformation to say there are people in the US that can’t afford insulin and other essential medicines?

In a left wing hit piece it is, yes. 

Anyways, I thought you were going to explain why it is that "healthcare in Europe cheaper despite varying degrees of Government intervention ranging from tight control to full control?", what happened to that? 

I also thought you were going to support your claim that the European model was better, no? 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

In a left wing hit piece it is, yes. 

Anyways, I thought you were going to explain why it is that "healthcare in Europe cheaper despite varying degrees of Government intervention ranging from tight control to full control?", what happened to that? 

I also thought you were going to support your claim that the European model was better, no? 

It don’t have to explain why it’s cheaper, I’ve posted a link demonstrating it is cheaper. 

My question is a challenge to your assertion:

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I understand the difficulty people who have never experienced integrated health services have in understanding why they are so very much more effective than the fractured model applied in the US.

https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-020-05917-9

Nice dodge on the fact that there are many people bankrupted  by healthcare costs in the US and many more who can’t afford insulin and other essential medicines.

https://www.retireguide.com/retirement-planning/risks/medical-bankruptcy-statistics/

https://www.businessinsider.com/americans-cant-afford-their-prescription-medications-cdc-2023-6?amp

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It don’t have to explain why it’s cheaper, I’ve posted a link demonstrating it is cheaper. 

My question is a challenge to your assertion:

I understand the difficulty people who have never experienced integrated health services have in understanding why they are so very much more effective than the fractured model applied in the US.

https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-020-05917-9

Nice dodge on the fact that there are many people bankrupted  by healthcare costs in the US and many more who can’t afford insulin and other essential medicines.

https://www.retireguide.com/retirement-planning/risks/medical-bankruptcy-statistics/

https://www.businessinsider.com/americans-cant-afford-their-prescription-medications-cdc-2023-6?amp

I've had great health care my whole life and did not have insurance until I was 40. 

You say; "...many people bankrupted  by healthcare costs in the US and many more who can’t afford insulin and other essential medicines.".

How many people is many?

Heathcare is free in the US for people without money. People with money need to have insurance to not lose their money when they get sick.

Your links are hilarious, but you are right, prescription costs are much higher than they should be. What do you think should be done about it?

Edited by Yellowtail

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I've had great health care my whole life and did not have insurance until I was 40. 

You say; "...many people bankrupted  by healthcare costs in the US and many more who can’t afford insulin and other essential medicines.".

How many people is many?

Heathcare is free in the US for people without money. People with money need to have insurance to not lose their money when they get sick.

Your links are hilarious, but you are right, prescription costs are much higher than they should be. What do you think should be done about it?

I’ve provided a link with information on medical bankruptcies, refer above.

Oh, you don’t do links.

Which leaves you making unsubstantiated statements and ridiculing claims substantiated with links.

You are trolling.

• Haha 1