3 VOE in 1 year OK?

I am planning to fly into Bangkok on a visa on entry this month. This will be my first visa on entry of the year (last one was Nov 2022).

Then i will be back in Thailand in August for a few days, and probably back in November for few days too.

Is 3 VOE in one calendar year likely to make trouble for me in immigration?

Couple of things to note:

- Each time I enter Thailand won't be for much more than a week.

- I have lots of other stamps in my passport too, so it's not like I've been bouncing in and out of Thailand.

(British citizen)

Cheers 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

IMO… really not an issue at all. 

Have an onwards flight & you’re fine. 
20, 000 baht cash stipulation too, but that’s never (extremely rarely) checked)…  [ argument will naturally ensue]…

10,000 Baht

Most tourists come to Thailand and get a visa on arrival (technically a visa waiver) so will be required to hold 10,000 Baht. This money can be in an equivalent foriegn currency, but it must be in cash – no credit cards are accepted as proof of funds.
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, still kicking said:
10,000 Baht

Most tourists come to Thailand and get a visa on arrival (technically a visa waiver) so will be required to hold 10,000 Baht. This money can be in an equivalent foriegn currency, but it must be in cash – no credit cards are accepted as proof of funds.

Info below from websites of Thai Embassies in Washington, Doha, Wellington....  All state the same thing: 

• Travelers entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme must possess adequate cash of or equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family.

https://doha.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-exemption-and-voa?page=5d7e6a3c15e39c032c006dba&menu=5d7e6a3c15e39c032c006dbb

https://thaiembdc.org/visaexemption/#:~:text=Travelers entering Thailand under the,or 40%2C000 Baht per family.

https://wellington.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/19038-visa-exemption

In the past on these forums there has been much debate about the need for such a measure as its rarely if ever checked by anyone at Immigration so the likelihood of the Op being checked is minimal.

Nevertheless, the rule has been used (sparingly) by Immigration to refuse entry to whomever they consider 'undesirable' for whatever reason - i.e. suspicion someone is working here but can't prove anything so use the cash 'technicality' has a reason. 

IMO - there's no harm in carrying US$600 emergency cash and covering your basis just in case, yes a very rare just incase.. but....

Also, onward flight ticket is required if entering visa exempt - there are mixed reports on this, but for many travelling to Thailand Visa exempt the Airline will check for onward travel at Check-in. 

9 hours ago, still kicking said:
10,000 Baht

Not a visa on arrival, this is for people who come from a country who can't get a visa exemption (which is a waiver).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2023 at 12:20 AM, RickG16 said:

I am planning to fly into Bangkok on a visa on entry this month. This will be my first visa on entry of the year (last one was Nov 2022).

Then i will be back in Thailand in August for a few days, and probably back in November for few days too.

Is 3 VOE in one calendar year likely to make trouble for me in immigration?

Couple of things to note:

- Each time I enter Thailand won't be for much more than a week.

- I have lots of other stamps in my passport too, so it's not like I've been bouncing in and out of Thailand.

(British citizen)

Cheers 

If only week long visits, it shouldn't (especially from last year).  But I can never predict what Thai Immigration will do, exactly.

It may slow the que a little because they need to examine the dates.  Unless you are lucky enough to get an IO who just does not care about petty things.

The number of VOEs -should- not matter unless you are coming in from a Land Border.

But sometimes you get an IO who thinks it is a trick so they need to examine the dates and if you have any Visas + VOEs.

But the computer should just give them the info (assuming it was entered correctly).

On its face, it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Parker2100
Grammar
  • Confused 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:25 AM, bigt3116 said:

Two TOTALLY different things, please don't spread mis-information

You are correct, EXCEPT, he's a British passport holder and does not qualify for a Visa on Arrival, which I am going to infer that you're thinking VOE (Visa on Entry) is the what the 'poster' is saying. When the British passport holder enters he is given a Visa Exempt stamp, which is a 'permit to stay' of 30 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Parker2100 said:

If only week long visits, it shouldn't (especially from last year).  But I can never predict what Thai Immigration will do, exactly.

It may slow the que a little because they need to examine the dates.  Unless you are lucky enough to get an IO who just does not care about petty things.

The number of VOEs -should- not matter unless you are coming in from a Land Border.

But sometimes you get an IO who thinks it is a trick so they need to examine the dates and if you have any Visas + VOEs.

But the computer should just give them the info (assuming it was entered correctly).

On its face, it shouldn't be a problem.

There's no such thing as a "VOE"

• Confused 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:04 AM, richard_smith237 said:

IMO… really not an issue at all. 

Have an onwards flight & you’re fine. 
20, 000 baht cash stipulation too, but that’s never (extremely rarely) checked)…  [ argument will naturally ensue]…

No argument but I don't like to play Russian Roulette.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

You are correct, EXCEPT, he's a British passport holder and does not qualify for a Visa on Arrival, which I am going to infer that you're thinking VOE (Visa on Entry) is the what the 'poster' is saying. When the British passport holder enters he is given a Visa Exempt stamp, which is a 'permit to stay' of 30 days.

The poster I replied to said "Most tourists come to Thailand and get a visa on arrival (technically a visa waiver)", no mention of nationality.

Also "VOE (Visa on Entry)" does not exist, maybe you are thinking of Visa on Arrival (VOA)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

It would be better if correct terminology had been used, but it is clear in context that he was asking about visa exemptions that he has received before. I often stress the importance of clear, unambiguous language, but there was no ambiguity here if you read his full post.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2023 at 2:45 AM, still kicking said:
10,000 Baht

When did the amount change? It has always been 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht for a family.

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

When did the amount change? It has always been 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht for a family.

For a long time (and I think still) the official limits were 10,000 baht per person (20,000 per family) if entering visa exempt, with a visa on arrival or with a transit visa. The official requirement was 20,000 baht per person (40,000 baht per family) otherwise. However, the recommendation has been to have at least 20,000 baht (or equivalent in foreign currency) cash, regardless of your visa situation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

It didn't change.  It is still 20,000 BUT they will often only "ask" to see 10,000 cash.

Better to bring the official amount.  Not what people think the will ask for.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

For a long time (and I think still) the official limits were 10,000 baht per person (20,000 per family) if entering visa exempt, with a visa on arrival or with a transit visa. The official requirement was 20,000 baht per person (40,000 baht per family) otherwise. However, the recommendation has been to have at least 20,000 baht (or equivalent in foreign currency) cash, regardless of your visa situation. 

When I first came to Thailand in 2016, the website said the official amount was 20,000.

But when I have been ask to show it (and I have been asked to show it) they ask to see 10,000.

But if they wanted to be strict, they could ask to see 20,000.  Especially for longer trips.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parker2100 said:

When I first came to Thailand in 2016, the website said the official amount was 20,000.

But when I have been ask to show it (and I have been asked to show it) they ask to see 10,000.

But if they wanted to be strict, they could ask to see 20,000.  Especially for longer trips.

The question is: which website? Back in 2016, the rules were definitely as I described them above. I believe they still are. Regardless, it is prudent to arrive with the full 20,000 baht, even if entering visa exempt.

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The question is: which website? Back in 2016, the rules were definitely as I described them above. I believe they still are. Regardless, it is prudent to arrive with the full 20,000 baht, even if entering visa exempt.

The Thai Embassy website in the USA.

11 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:

The Thai Embassy website in the USA.

Never trust Thai embassy/consulate websites on anything other than the services they provide themselves. The sites are riddled with misinformation. Additionally, you should usually treat anything Thai consular officials tell you about Thai immigration rules with extreme scepticism. They have zero training to qualify them to answer such questions.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Never trust Thai embassy/consulate websites on anything other than the services they provide themselves. The sites are riddled with misinformation. Additionally, you should usually treat anything Thai consular officials tell you about Thai immigration rules with extreme scepticism. They have zero training to qualify them to answer such questions.

The Thai Philosophy seems to be that Thailand is Governed by people, not words, and the Law is fluid.

So, this being true, it is better to carry the 20,000.  10,000 may not work and it is harmful to tell people that is always the rule.