Children Owning Land In Thailand

safetynet

I am in the process of buying a piece of land, I think i have got 2 choices for registering the land, I have got 2 daughters aged 22 months & 5 months, I would like to put the land in they're name and then have a covenant built in to say the land cannot be sold or borrowed on with both parents signatures, that would be ideal, or if it comes back that they can't be put on till they are older, then I will put it in my Ltd companys name until they are old enough to go on the land title, I just need some advice from people who have tried both these choices,

my thanks in advance Graham [email protected]

If I am not mistaken, if you put anything into a minors name (land, company shares etc), not even a parent can release it before the child is 18. A judge will have to intervene. So it will be pretty much tied up / secured.

If I am not mistaken, if you put anything into a minors name (land, company shares etc), not even a parent can release it before the child is 18. A judge will have to intervene. So it will be pretty much tied up / secured.

I think this is correct. Also, the child must be old enough to sign his name.

Thai land office would be confused. It may turn to be very a complicated thing for them, although they should handle it.

It's their house and land papers procedure that is inflexible. Not as easy as opening a pass book with a bank.

My wife bought some land from people whose house got burned down. They had 8x1 rai to sell to build a new house.

The land (1 rai, in the sticks) was 30K baht. It's in wife's name. Peanuts, let them have it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this is how it is done.

Firstly you must be married to a Thai and your children must have Thai citizenship.

The real estate/land has to be purchased in your wife`s name and the farang husband does the usual by signing all his rights away such as, he agrees to rescind any hold over the real estate, than soon after the wife can transfer all into the name of your chld.

Once the land/property has been put into trust for the child, the deeds are frozen until the child reaches the age of 20 years old.

In the event of the child`s death, the estate passes to the child`s next of kin, which would be the Thai parent.

If you are considering purchasing in the name of your limited company, it must be trading and will be investigated by the tax Ampur office.

Edited by RagingBrit

OK, this is how it is done.

Firstly you must be married to a Thai and your children must have Thai citizenship.

The real estate/land has to be purchased in your wife`s name and the farang husband does the usual by signing all his rights away such as, he agrees to rescind any hold over the real estate, than soon after the wife can transfer all into the name of your chld.

Once the land/property has been put into trust for the child, the deeds are frozen until the child reaches the age of 20 years old.

In the event of the child`s death, the estate passes to the child`s next of kin, which would be the Thai parent.

If you are considering purchasing in the name of your limited company, it must be trading and will be investigated by the tax Ampur office.

Good info.

Taking it one step further, should the OP's wife precede him in death (a morbid thought, I know), could the wife's relatives petition the court to remove him from the property? If so, would it be advisable to put a 30 year lease on the land (with wife as lessor and husband as lessee) prior to the transfer to the minor?

Thanks.

Thai land office would be confused. It may turn to be very a complicated thing for them, although they should handle it.

It's their house and land papers procedure that is inflexible. Not as easy as opening a pass book with a bank.

My wife bought some land from people whose house got burned down. They had 8x1 rai to sell to build a new house.

The land (1 rai, in the sticks) was 30K baht. It's in wife's name. Peanuts, let them have it.

no confusion the land office do it often and child does not need to sign but the parent does and i bleive the hild

has to reach 20 before it can be sold or a court order must be obtained ask any decent laywer or land

office