Ex-farm chicken eggs to go up to 4 baht each from Friday

snoop1130

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs kept chicks for a spell... it isn't as straightforward or easy as one might expect. They have a limited productive (laying) life and the wild dogs get them twice a year!

I didn't think for the wild dogs (and snakes and whatever else is running around.....big lizards)

And I guess the wilder the chicken, the more resistant they are, the less productive they are....

I recall somewhere close to Chumpon there are a few trees full of chicken.....they are natural enough to be able to fly up the tree to be safe from the dogs. But surely they don't lay much....

20 hours ago, h90 said:

But many people, could have a few chicken and feed them with the leftovers from their food....I see many people here never eat finish and the leftovers would be plenty for 1-2 chicken. At least on the countryside you could produce eggs at very low cost. (Easier than for example milk) I have seen chicken roam between the rubber trees and find food themself. Not sufficient for the population but could add.

Leftovers will be OK for fattening birds for the table but not good for layers as they require 15-17% protein on a regular basis to produce daily eggs . Indeed I fed my free range birds with layers pellets and after they would scratch around in the field for insects etc .

In the UK chicken feed is expensive but I do not know the cost in Thailand .

• Like 1