Mega Road Trip

bignok

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

but quite a lot.

you've started multiple travel threads on here in the past few months.

you a gypsy or what? 

Maybe in a past life. Done 30 towns last 10 months. Craving more. I love it. Mrs loves it too.

Do it on a scooter, more exciting.

I met a guy in Thaton who had come all the way from Krabi and was pushing on to Luang Prabang in Laos - on a bicycle.

Edited by Lacessit

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you can start a travel blog. 

here is bignok on the far left in a past life. 

Gypsy Movie Review: Raju Murugan's Rambling Drama With Jiiva Mistakes Good  Intentions For Good Cinema

Too many bloggers already however im tempted to have a go as most are not good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do it on a scooter, more exciting.

I met a guy in Thaton who had come all the way from Krabi and was pushing on to Luang Prabang in Laos - on a bicycle.

Saw a couple in Surat on bicycle with luggage. Looked like hard work to me. Good luck to them. Trip of a life. Get out and have a go but for me car is better or train.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Looks about right to me, just don't book more than a day in advance.  We're out on a short one ourselves, maybe 3 weeks, only 3 nights into it ????

HAPPY TRAVELS ... Be Safe

Yes just used agoda in the past for 1 or 2 nights at a time. If like town extend.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

I have just returned to Pattaya from a road trip two days ago.

I took my car to Vang Vieng, Laos.  Tried the Vientiant-Vang Vieng highway.

From Vang Vieng I took the high speed train to Luang Prabang.

So which town was best?

I enjoyed my stay at Luang Prabang very much. Took an inexpensive room in the historic district, walked to restaurants, cafes and the night market. Streets are quiet and clean. Kuang Si Waterfall is about 50 minutes out of town, I have not seen another waterfall more beautiful. Water was blue. The mineral deposit help shaped the stone on which the water flowed smoothly as if it was not moving. From far the water fall looked like a white veil.

Image_20230715200903.jpg

Image_20230715201000.jpg

Image_20230715201406.jpg

Image_20230715201439.jpg

Image_20230715201726.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Looks about right to me, just don't book more than a day in advance.  We're out on a short one ourselves, maybe 3 weeks, only 3 nights into it ????

HAPPY TRAVELS ... Be Safe

We never book. Just roll into town about 4 pm, my GF reads the accommodation signs. Aim is 500-700 baht/night. Aircon, big bed, clean, working plumbing are the criteria. We ask to inspect the room, she gives me the nod if it is up to scratch. Walk away if not.

It usually only takes one or two inspections, I think the most we have needed is three.

In low season, vacancies IME are never a problem. I have stayed in 200 - room hotels when there were only two vehicles in the car park.

For breakfast, we usually head to the biggest hotels in town. They always have a buffet.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Aim is 500-700 baht/night. Aircon, big bed, clean, working plumbing are the criteria.

I think you will like Hop Inn.

Those in Bangkok probably cost more. Last trip I stayed at Hop Inn Khon Kean and Nongkai, 620B. Free cappuccino from the coffee machine at the lobby was actually very good.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

I think you will like Hop Inn.

Those in Bangkok probably cost more. Last trip I stayed at Hop Inn Khon Kean and Nongkai, 620B. Free cappuccino from the coffee machine at the lobby was actually very good.

I have used a Hop Inn at Chiang Rai before I moved there. Amused by the towels, I had to pay a 500 baht security deposit beforehand. Which was refunded when I checked out the next day, after they were counted in the room by one of the maids.

The towels were very new, large and looked expensive.

11 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

That looks about right for a bicycle tour.

Three weeks, 1500km.

15 100-km days, and 6-7 days off bike for seeing the sights.

Seems the OP is travelling with a Thai female, I would say close to zero chance to convince her to do 1500km bicycle trip. For a starter most of them don't like sun exposure, and there would be plenty in a typical cycling day.

Long distance cycling or "bikepacking" is not popular here compared to Europe, and most of the people I've met on the road were foreigners. You can cycle hundreds of kms without seeing another cyclist, in Europe there would be many more. Folks in the villages are not used to see people travelling with bicycles, you would hear from time to time "farang ba leo!" when passing.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We never book. Just roll into town about 4 pm, my GF reads the accommodation signs. Aim is 500-700 baht/night. Aircon, big bed, clean, working plumbing are the criteria. We ask to inspect the room, she gives me the nod if it is up to scratch. Walk away if not.

It usually only takes one or two inspections, I think the most we have needed is three.

In low season, vacancies IME are never a problem. I have stayed in 200 - room hotels when there were only two vehicles in the car park.

For breakfast, we usually head to the biggest hotels in town. They always have a buffet.

We travel w/dog, so need to plan ahead.  Usually never book in advance, but do ask if available, and on the day, let them know we're coming.

Not a big brekkie person, so usually not a factor when choosing.  More important is a green area for the dog, and a view for us.  We rarely stay in town at anywhere except Krung Thep.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The towels were very new, large and looked expensive

I have never had to pay a deposit at any Hop Inn, may be the policy has changed.

I love their towels, I looked at the tag on a towel to see what brand. It says " Hop Inn" .

3 hours ago, Thailand J said:

I have never had to pay a deposit at any Hop Inn, may be the policy has changed.

I love their towels, I looked at the tag on a towel to see what brand. It says " Hop Inn" .

This was some years ago, and may only have applied in Chiang Rai.