The UK's ruling Conservative Party loses two out of three by-elections as support for the main opposition Labour Party soars ahead of the 2024 general election

Social Media

The UK's ruling Conservative Party loses two out of three by-elections as support for the main opposition Labour Party soars ahead of the 2024 general election.

Thursday was a bad day for the UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak although not as bad as some people had predicted. 

Many thought his ruling Conservative Party would lose former PM Boris Johnson's old seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip on the outskirts of London. 

That didn't happen but it was a close contest for a constituency regarded as a 'safe' Tory seat. In the end, there was a 6.7% swing to Labour but the Conservatives won it by 495 votes. 

However, elsewhere the ruling party was heavily defeated. 

In the Yorkshire seat of Selby and Ainsty, the main opposition Labour Party made history by overturning a 20,137 majority to win the seat.

And in Somerton and Frome in the southwest of England,  the Liberal Democrats overturned a majority of more than 19,000 to take the seat.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What a biased report!

No mention of why the Labour party did NOT win "Boris Johnson's old seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip on the outskirts of London."

The reason was the dreaded ULEZ!

A price worth paying:

"Air pollution even contributes to the premature death of thousands of Londoners every year. It's not just a central London problem. In fact, the greatest number of deaths related to air pollution occur in outer London areas."

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-expansion-2023

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of ULEZ, it isn't going to be a significant factor in shaping the voting intentions of the majority of the UK electorate. 

No amount of islamophobia and Sadiq bashing is going to return the disillusioned middle to the conservatives any time soon.

More specifically, not an issue the ‘Red Wall’ (still awaiting the hollow Tory promises of ‘leveling up’), and more worryingly for the Tories, a 20,000 majority can no longer be considered a safe seat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of ULEZ, it isn't going to be a significant factor in shaping the voting intentions of the majority of the UK electorate. 

No amount of islamophobia and Sadiq bashing is going to return the disillusioned middle to the conservatives any time soon.

The reasons for the electorate voting the Labout party into 5th in the third by election might.

14 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The reasons for the electorate voting the Labout party into 5th in the third by election might.

Don't get my wrong - I have never voted labour in my life, and not about to start now. In fact, a weakened and chaotic Labour party suits me just fine, but I think that the writing is on the wall for the Tories. They are toast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Don't get my wrong - I have never voted labour in my life, and not about to start now. In fact, a weakened and chaotic Labour party suits me just fine, but I think that the writing is on the wall for the Tories. They are toast.

More to the pony, Tory MPs will be looking at these results and getting a glimpse into their own future.

Sunak’s has a very weak grip on the Parliamentary Conservative Party, it just got a whole lot weaker.

• Like 1