Pattaya Vs Chiang Mai Friendliness

JimTripper

Nicest people are in Nong Khai. Based on visiting 30 towns last 12 months.

Didnt go to Patts. CM people are indifferent.

Southerners dont really care.

CM has Lanna food though so big plus. Patts would have better international food.

Size of place is important. Smaller Thai places often accept foreigner better, maybe not in the north. Isaan less welcoming.  But moving west much improvement. Not so impressed by Nong Kai. Only visited pitsanluk a few times with not so good feeling. Sukothai so so. Loei  nice. 

Buriram not so friendly.

Patts very used to foreigner.  CM friendly. Udon so so. Khon Kaen seemed to have lost some appeal to foreigner when I last visited some years ago.

Chiang Rai used to be super friendly, but when I visited short during Covid I was disappointed.

Mae Hong Son not so friendly, tired of tourists? Don't want to become another Pai? Mae Sai Burmese not so easy to access but friendly if you cross into Tachilek.

Chiang Saen, C Kong, C Kahn variable. CKahn even tired of tourists.

Rayong variable, some OK. Trat small but friendly. Chantaburi lost a lot when the gems ran out?

Smaller places, maybe not far north are maybe the friendliest if you could live with only having one Robinson or similar to shop in.

Surat Thani OK. Chumpon less so, maybe. Never went to Krabi, maybe good? Hua Hin mostly for tourists?

I always wanted to retire in Thailand, but still looking for the spot.

... Just as I remember some places over the years.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Size of place is important. Smaller Thai places often accept foreigner better, maybe not in the north. Isaan less welcoming.  But moving west much improvement. Not so impressed by Nong Kai. Only visited pitsanluk a few times with not so good feeling. Sukothai so so. Loei  nice. 

Buriram not so friendly.

Patts very used to foreigner.  CM friendly. Udon so so. Khon Kaen seemed to have lost some appeal to foreigner when I last visited some years ago.

Chiang Rai used to be super friendly, but when I visited short during Covid I was disappointed.

Mae Hong Son not so friendly, tired of tourists? Don't want to become another Pai? Mae Sai Burmese not so easy to access but friendly if you cross into Tachilek.

Chiang Saen, C Kong, C Kahn variable. CKahn even tired of tourists.

Rayong variable, some OK. Trat small but friendly. Chantaburi lost a lot when the gems ran out?

Smaller places, maybe not far north are maybe the friendliest if you could live with only having one Robinson or similar to shop in.

Surat Thani OK. Chumpon less so, maybe. Never went to Krabi, maybe good? Hua Hin mostly for tourists?

I always wanted to retire in Thailand, but still looking for the spot.

... Just as I remember some places over the years.

Only Trat friendly 555

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

No perfect spot. Pkk and cm are alright. I found nong khai super friendly.

I’m thinking people are nicer the further North one goes because it’s not so hot. The cooler weather makes a big difference in a persons mood. Not so tired, not dripping with sweat, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I’m thinking people are nicer the further North one goes because it’s not so hot. The cooler weather makes a big difference in a persons mood. Not so tired, not dripping with sweat, etc.

Chiang Mai is super hot in April

In Phuket I only went to the areas where most foreigners go. It was some years ago. But when I then compared to Pattaya, Pattaya attitudes were better. Maybe time to go back and see more.

I definitely don't support the theory that north should be friendlier. It varies and Lao is less friendly.

Chiang Rai used to be a favorite place for me. But attitudes were not good when I visited briefly during Covid. I don't know if "everyone was under orders to be grumpy so that all foreigners went back home, due to Covid" ???? or if there has been a change in attitudes. I also visited before that and Jetyod st. wasn't really the same as before. Also in Khon Kaen, the area around Pullman hotel not the same as before.

I have lived in both Chiang Mai and Pattaya myself so I understand the TS his post. Chiang Mai for sure has a much more warm and safe feeling to it where people are all super sabai sabai.

Pattaya is much more hardcore, if you not like that vibe, better to just go to Pattaya for holidays, I do the same for that reason.

I was living in Jomtien for a year until April this year... and went back to Chiang Mai. 

I lived in Chiang Mai 2015 to 2017. Now Chiang Mai is a shadow of it's former "glory". I agree with the OP... Thai in Pattaya are not much friendlier than the very worst Thai found in Phuket. 

Sadly Chiang Mai locals are better.. But not like 10 years 

Thai people have had to put up with a lot since 2014. A lot! I think it's reflected in thier attitudes... humility was never a Thai characteristic and now I think they are just downright angry about it all. 

I back in Jomtien as of Saturday... the air is fresher... it's MUCH more convenient for all sorts of things and it's EASY to find a really nice condo for 12k. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

I was living in Jomtien for a year until April this year... and went back to Chiang Mai. 

I lived in Chiang Mai 2015 to 2017. Now Chiang Mai is a shadow of it's former "glory". I agree with the OP... Thai in Pattaya are not much friendlier than the very worst Thai found in Phuket. 

Sadly Chiang Mai locals are better.. But not like 10 years 

Thai people have had to put up with a lot since 2014. A lot! I think it's reflected in thier attitudes... humility was never a Thai characteristic and now I think they are just downright angry about it all. 

I back in Jomtien as of Saturday... the air is fresher... it's MUCH more convenient for all sorts of things and it's EASY to find a really nice condo for 12k. 

I was thinking about this only yesterday when a local surprised me with a 'Good Morning'.....

Most Pattaya Thais are not locals... we get a heavy smattering of Bangkok visitors and they bring that big City  rudeness. Pattaya Thais are nice enough but usually hoping to make money out of you........ 

When I first came to Thailand and toured a lot, I found Northern Thais to be the nicest, very friendly, followed by  Eastern/Central, but quite okay around Korat, not to be trusted furthest East... and Southerners seemed stand-offish.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I think places like Patt and Phuk most of the Thai there are from other places who come to work... they would rather be home but they are there to make a living and then go home... if you catch them in their home environment they will be friendlier... and if you can speak Thai, you have much more access to having a genuine relationship w/Thai people... 

Never been to Chiang Mai, about all they can do there is eat and sleep. Pattaya is special case: the large expat communities seem very segregated. Besides  interaction with the Thai ladies the expats don't interact with the other locals whatsoever. Then all the criticism and condescending comment's on the internet forums about Thais year in year out from foreigners does not help. It's obvious to Thais in Pattaya that most males here are for the girls and could care less about everyone else. So don't expect to win any popularity contests. 

• Sad 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, JimTripper said:

I have lived in both Pattaya & Chiang Mai and am finding the Thai people in Pattaya very unfriendly or even nasty. Especially, but not solely, in places like banks, immigration or other offices like that.

Has anyone else noticed that? Or am I just running into the wrong people? Maybe it has something to do with Covid? What I would compare it to is living in Chiang Mai in the 5 years or so before Covid hit.

I'm considering moving back to the North of Thailand as soon as possible because of this. Then I find a family restaurant run by an Isaan family smack dab in the middle of Pattaya and it's like a breathe of fresh air. Felt like home with nice people again.

every resto with provincial owner has a relaxed feel, wherever you go. 

about Ptya people: they are there to make money, simple as that! they dpn't really want to be there, but have because of work availability!

in ChiangMai the local people are gentle and kind and even speak slower. their cultural background (Lanna) makes them also proud! 

Southerners are know for speed-talking! years and years of constant tourism have changed their kindness, their mentality is pretty spoiled, farangs would come spend money anyways... that changed a tiny bit after the tsunami, but until Covid they had always tourists.

I used to live on Samui for a number of years, travelled the southern provinces so I met several kinds of southern peeps! I like villagers much better than any city-locals! much more genuine and down to earth.

so after "thorough research" I moved to the North and still here, sabai-sabai 23 years and still happy! ????

• Thanks 1

Good with different opinions added to the thread. Mostly I thought farlang ended up in "her" village ???? I have just visited and stayed months in many places over the years. 

CM is good, but it is  it not like before. Visited during Covid. Strong foreigner presence in Nong Buak Haad and Festival, not all good. Warorot still OK, but so so in the Chinese quarter night markets south of Wororot. Kad Suan Keo still old fashioned. Airport  Central so so.  But that was not long time stay.

Maybe strong influx of Chinese and farlang has been wearing down the locals attitudes. I stayed in a guesthouse inside the moat during one loi kratong. The guesthouse arranged their own loi kratong for the foreigners! But I rented a bike and went to the big loi kratong some tens of kilometers N of CM. Met Chinese people, I lived there before. I must say we did not get well treated. But I got good photos of the lanterns. Getting outside the cities, southern areas are a safer bet, I believe.

In Phnom Penh you could see the same thing. Fantastic place but attitudes started wearing down around the markets where foreigner visited. Now completely overrun by Chinese, especially KPS.

Stayed in a guesthouse outside the moat in CM this time. Super friendly.

Edited by thailandsgreat

Naturally you always find a great variety of fresh food in Thailand, Central, Tops, Lotus, Big C. In smaller places you go to Robinson, Macro.

But to get the best quality in the local markets you must move away from the tourist areas. I try to shop in peripheral markets. I often  buy 30-40 baht curries in plastic bags +sticky rice. But the quality of meat is not really the same in Pattaya as you would find in cities 1-2 tier lower than Pattaya. I don't think the market ladies in Rayong would stay in business long if they sold what is sold in Pattaya ????  But the food courts in the supermarkets easily replaces that.

Friendly attitude in the local markets of Pattaya I have seen, though.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Confused 1

On 7/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, JimTripper said:

I'm considering moving back to the North of Thailand as soon as possible because of this. Then I find a family restaurant run by an Isaan family smack dab in the middle of Pattaya and it's like a breathe of fresh air. Felt like home with nice people again.

Out of interest, what is the Isaan restaurant you found?

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, JimTripper said:

I have lived in both Pattaya & Chiang Mai and am finding the Thai people in Pattaya very unfriendly or even nasty. Especially, but not solely, in places like banks, immigration or other offices like that.

Pattaya is a tourist city unlike CM. The type of tourists are different. Even farang who live in Pattaya are different than farang in CM. 2 different city for different purposes. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, JimTripper said:

Has anyone else noticed that? Or am I just running into the wrong people? Maybe it has something to do with Covid? What I would compare it to is living in Chiang Mai in the 5 years or so before Covid hit.

No I haven't experienced any unfriendly or nasty encounters that would make me think about it. Due to technology advances my need to visit official type places like immigration, bank, City Hall, internet & phone provider etc have been pretty much eliminated from the equation, good service and interaction when I have.

Anywhere else I'm visiting regularly is providing me a service like shopping. entertainment, laundry, hairdresser etc, and if I did experience it it would be once only and I'd take my business elsewhere, but not too Chiang Mai that would be a bit extreme.

On 7/23/2023 at 6:10 AM, thailandsgreat said:

Chiang Rai used to be a favorite place for me. But attitudes were not good when I visited briefly during Covid. I don't know if "everyone was under orders to be grumpy so that all foreigners went back home, due to Covid" ???? or if there has been a change in attitudes.

I visited much of Thailand during CoVid-19 and was surprised by the panic there about the epidemic.
The general idea was that it was transmitted by foreigners and in some shops they directly prohibited us from entering.
Even Thais outside of Chiang Rai were subject to a lot of restrictions.
Some of my wife's relatives directly refused to receive us because we came from Bangkok and Phuket.
Cutting my hair was outright impossible, until I ended up at a small barbershop run by an old man who seemed to really need the money and agreed to cut my hair.
I did not have the same problem in any other part of Thailand (Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Tao,...)

Edited by Espanol

3 hours ago, The Theory said:

Pattaya is a tourist city unlike CM. The type of tourists are different. Even farang who live in Pattaya are different than farang in CM. 2 different city for different purposes. 

CM has loads of tourists. Better class though.