Pattaya Vs Chiang Mai Friendliness

JimTripper

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, and I had a guy commuting from Pattaya to Kabinburi to work for ten years, and a gal that commuted from Sattahip to Kabinburi for over twenty years. 

Woo-hoo

It's not so much where they are, it's the people around Pattaya. They are working with people who don't have a lot of self control. That's what hedonism is. People who don't want to or can't limit sensual pleasures. The further out from the Central area you go the less you will encounter them.

So they are around people acting kind of goofy, angry, overly emotionally happy, whatever, and not very stable. Most people trying to live a normal working life won't be happy with such people because it's very irritating and draining to deal with them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pattaya is a bad example, mostly a mix of people in the tourists industry and rather greedy and sometimes pushy. I will agree that generally North Thai folks are friendly, Southern Thailand less so...came to that impression many years ago when touring a lot. 

On 7/22/2023 at 8:58 PM, thailandsgreat said:

Size of place is important. Smaller Thai places often accept foreigner better, maybe not in the north. Isaan less welcoming.  But moving west much improvement. Not so impressed by Nong Kai. Only visited pitsanluk a few times with not so good feeling. Sukothai so so. Loei  nice. 

Buriram not so friendly.

Patts very used to foreigner.  CM friendly. Udon so so. Khon Kaen seemed to have lost some appeal to foreigner when I last visited some years ago.

Chiang Rai used to be super friendly, but when I visited short during Covid I was disappointed.

Mae Hong Son not so friendly, tired of tourists? Don't want to become another Pai? Mae Sai Burmese not so easy to access but friendly if you cross into Tachilek.

Chiang Saen, C Kong, C Kahn variable. CKahn even tired of tourists.

Rayong variable, some OK. Trat small but friendly. Chantaburi lost a lot when the gems ran out?

Smaller places, maybe not far north are maybe the friendliest if you could live with only having one Robinson or similar to shop in.

Surat Thani OK. Chumpon less so, maybe. Never went to Krabi, maybe good? Hua Hin mostly for tourists?

I always wanted to retire in Thailand, but still looking for the spot.

... Just as I remember some places over the years.

Nan - just back from there with the missus. Very friendly, quiet, helpful smiling, don't cheat - the small hotel owner picked us up from the airport for free and took us back. It's the old Thailand of yore. The place is spotlessly clean as well - people don't litter and not a ganja shop/massage/brothel/bar in site. They are in a "safe zone" on the city limits apparently. Oh and everything very very cheap but not nasty. A farang and his Thai wife were renting a big 2-story detached house down a quiet soi near the centre with a big garden for 5k a month.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Nan - just back from there with the missus. Very friendly, quiet, helpful smiling, don't cheat - the small hotel owner picked us up from the airport for free and took us back. It's the old Thailand of yore. The place is spotlessly clean as well - people don't litter and not a ganja shop/massage/brothel/bar in site. They are in a "safe zone" on the city limits apparently. Oh and everything very very cheap but not nasty. A farang and his Thai wife were renting a big 2-story detached house down a quiet soi near the centre with a big garden for 5k a month.

Where did you stay? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 3:56 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Yes, the first thing I noticed in Nan is that it is the cleanest city I have seen in Pattaya.
No garbage in the streets or rats. Not a piece of paper.
Pretty and quiet, too. Perhaps too quiet to live, being a small provincial city.
The only reason I don't dare move there to live is because I'm afraid it might get boring after a while.