2nd hand motorcycle: older but well-known brand vs newer Bajaj or GPX bike

CLW

Hey guy,

looking for a small CC motorbike (preferably with ABS) for commuting and short weekend trips.

Budget not over 30.000 THB. Eying Honda CBR150, CB300F or Kawasaki Z250 SL.

Honda CBR150 are plenty available however not my first choice because only 150cc and would need to change handlebar to touring style.

Therefore CB300F or Kawasaki Z250 SL.

I found this one:

https://www.kaidee.com/product-368039498

Other choice would be Bajaj 160 or GPX Razer 220 at much lower prices below 30k, around 10 to 15k THB.

I'm wondering if those bikes last long and about the part situation. Also, of course they don't have ABS.

• Like 1

30k, so 2nd.  Think I'd stick Honda, Yamaha, as most popular, so should be plenty to chose from, along with no issue with parts & repair, if needed.

Looking on FB Marketplace, and 30k doesn't get much, unless older.  Not sure you want to go far on smaller bike.

older

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

30k, so 2nd.  Think I'd stick Honda, Yamaha, as most popular, so should be plenty to chose from, along with no issue with parts & repair, if needed.

Looking on FB Marketplace, and 30k doesn't get much, unless older.  Not sure you want to go far on smaller bike.

older

Problem on online marketplaces (Kaidee and FB) is to find the CBR models with ABS.

Need to click through almost every picture. Same with mileage. Not often in the description, duh.

I'm also trying my luck with auction every Monday and Friday. 

• Like 2

Eying a CF Moto 250 NK now. Pretty good price and conditions as new. Low Mileage.

CF Moto builds KTM bikes in China in license along with the engines from KTM.

250 NK is basically a clone of the KTM Duke.

On 7/25/2023 at 1:23 PM, CLW said:

Eying a CF Moto 250 NK now. Pretty good price and conditions as new. Low Mileage.

CF Moto builds KTM bikes in China in license along with the engines from KTM.

250 NK is basically a clone of the KTM Duke.

Getting ktm parts can be challenging.

• Like 1

Ninja 250R might be a good choice. I still have my 2008 model and it's been rock solid.

Bullet proof, upright seating position (for a faired bike), 17 litre tank. 

I dis a fair bit of touring on it back in the day. BKK to Samui, BKK to Nan etc. Great bikes IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

The GPX and older Bajaj don't have ABS as far as I know...

Which auctions do you go to, name location would be useful...? Can the bike be started and checked - do they ride it to the bidding spot....? 

I have bought a few cars in auctions in UK, it was cheap but always had one or two issues ..., I remember the guy rode one to the front and I bid and won it, next day I went to collect, it nearly had no clutch, no idea how he brought it in ...! ???? But I easily fixed it later...! ????

On 7/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, JonnyF said:

Ninja 250R might be a good choice. I still have my 2008 model and it's been rock solid.

Bullet proof, upright seating position (for a faired bike), 17 litre tank. 

I dis a fair bit of touring on it back in the day. BKK to Samui, BKK to Nan etc. Great bikes IMO.

Hard to find within my budget

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:19 PM, Agusts said:

The GPX and older Bajaj don't have ABS as far as I know...

Which auctions do you go to, name location would be useful...? Can the bike be started and checked - do they ride it to the bidding spot....? 

I have bought a few cars in auctions in UK, it was cheap but always had one or two issues ..., I remember the guy rode one to the front and I bid and won it, next day I went to collect, it nearly had no clutch, no idea how he brought it in ...! ???? But I easily fixed it later...! ????

GPX small motorcycles no ABS at all, newer Bajaj above 200 cc have ABS.

I'm regularly going to SIA (Siam Inter Auction), as it is very near to my home. Motto is another one, but I have never tried it there.

The motorcycles can be started but not driven. Here is some issue. Every Tom ,Dick and Harry starts the machine, revving up to the limit from a cold start. VERY bad for engine. And the staff there of course says nothing. So I tend to stay away from auctions now. Found a few good offers on FB marketplace that I am observing now. CF Moto NK250 and Bajaj 220

• Thumbs Up 1

From FB marketplace:

2012 Honda cbr250r
฿37,500

Driven 87,000 km

Are there concerns about the age and mileage?

Benefits are double combined ABS and a conversion of the handlebar to touring style

CF moto has the same parent company as KTM, they say their engine is copy or very similar on their larger cc bikes, not sure about their 250..., also they are fairly new entity outside China, maybe people heard of them last 5 years or so...! 

Bajaj has a bit more history, and positive reviews, I think it's number 1 or 2 bike manufacturer in India, their bikes are heavy and not much power, but well built, last longer than the Chinese, apparently...! Parts for these and Chinese also not always available everywhere...

That Honda CBR250R is a good bike (also check CB300F), but at 87k km it all depends how many owners it had and how they looked after it..., if trashed then you're looking at engine overhaul, maybe forks/shocks overhaul, and more ... , but saying that things can be repaired cheaply here, not at Honda, but outside..., parts available for these ....,  however, it's the hassle of finding a good mechanic and time...

Good luck...!

• Thanks 1