Is Thailand Really 'the Land Of Smiles?"

Luckydog

What are they smiling for?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blast! the poll went wrong! Sorry.

Please for give me your answer -

Why do they Smile?

1. Because they like us?

2. Because they are hoping to get money from us?

3. Because they are nice friendly people?

4. Because it's a habit?

Edited by Luckydog

And if it is. Are the Smiles genuine?

Or do they mostly only smile when they are getting money out of you eh?

I think you've reached the stage called "You know when you've been in Thailand too long when.... " :o

Why do they Smile?

1. Because they like us? If we're likeable, yes.

2. Because they are hoping to get money from us? In fact, they rarely smile when they're doing mental maths.

3. Because they are nice friendly people? If we're friendly to them, yes.

4. Because it's a habit? No, it's a reflex, we all smile if we have a reason.

Lucky, IMO there are just as many plastic smiles there as there are back home.

I watch their eyes when people smile.

The eyes often tell a different story than the mouth.

Or do they mostly only smile when they are getting money out of you eh?

Don't really care either way.It's nice to get a smile.Be it the bloke next door or the check-out bird with the big norks at the supermarket.Dour,unsmiling European types give me the wilt.

Im so glad of the Thai smiles, they are beautiful and mainly because the rest of the world seems to begrudge giving them out so freely. But your list is wayyy too short. Thais smile for more reasons than you give options for.

Im a smiler (used to have people always comment on it) but people often cannot read them. I love the fact that my smiles are regarded as normal here, and that Thais seem to get what im trying to express. Just like the Thais when i smile it doesnt always mean im happy, it can be out of embarressment or because i feel intimidated or because i think your weird. So many reasons. Im pretty shy when i dont know people and I smile because im not sure what else to do sometimes.

Tbh I dont think your options fit at all. I think its more about how they feel about themselves and how they wish to come across to others.

3 - pretty nice folk unless you rile them up, but I think that's standard anywhere

Can't argue with that........#3 it definitely is. Anyway, whatever is behind the Thai smile isn't so important as the smile itself. A smile tells us how much of life is best left unspoken. We can choose to smile or we can choose to sink.

Much violence in the world could be avoided if both parties just gave a fake smile to each other, turned around and walked away. Practice smiling when you feel like giving someone the finger - your life will be more pleasant. Don't wait until your just about to have an orgasm of self-delight to begin to crack a smile. Smiles regenerate - be generous with them.

I've meet many Thai people with a ready smile when there was no potential for gain for them involved.

In most major Cities in the world smiles need I mention even Eye-contact, are not the norms. I believe, based on fear.

Here in Thailand I never feel that fear, Even in Bangkok. (Not talking about farang here). Thai people, over all, (I partially suspect the Buddhist influence) have a friendly and optimistic attitude that if matched can be a very fun and friendly time. (No innuendo intended)

So #3 :o

Lodes

All of the above and many more.

Thailand is the "Land of Smiles"

Thais smile when they are happy (making money, partying, having a good time).

Thais smile when they like you.

Thais smile when they are don't like you.

Thais smile when they are embarassed.

Thais smile to avoid conflict.

Thais smile to mask anger.

The smile in Thailand is the "one expression fits all" response to just about everything. Are the smiles "genuine" you ask. In the Thai sense, yes!

I hate to be the odd man out (actually no I don’t) but I do not think this is the land of smiles; not real smiles, I think the name is stupid, a pipe dream. I know if you look at someone you will get a smile back but it’s not genuine. It is more like they are saying why are you looking at me? Maybe if I smile back I won’t look like I have nothing to say or don’t know what’s going on.

Another smile you will see is, come on over here you brainless rich farang and buy everything in my shop. The BG’s use that same smile for different merchandise.

If you take of the rose colored glasses you will see you actually get a lot of blank looks or even disapproving glares, and most people won’t pay any attention to you at all. That’s why they butt in front of you in line, you’re invisible.

Whatever you might want to wish, if it’s from a stranger you can be guaranteed the smiles are fake and reflexive.

I get real smiles from my Thai friends and family but the rest is a put on.

To answer Luckydog’s poll the closest I can com is #4. Because it's a habit?

The smile is the decoration on the Thai Face which is their most guarded possession. Smiling is camouflage, a way of keeping real emotions behind the mask.

Why do they Smile?

1. Because they like us?

4. Because it's a habit?

i always smile because i dont really understand the seriousness of the situation..................

i think the thais smile because they ignore, or really don't care what is really going on around them.

some people smile just to make other people wonder what they have been up to

i think it all has to do with WHO is smiling, and for what REASON!

still, better than seeing everybody walking around with a scowl on their face.

SMILE IF YOU GOT IT THIS MORNING!

Edited by frikkiedeboer

"you cant tell how much suffering on a face thats always smiling"

i think that alot of thais are wary of falang because they feel we can be too serious,or this is what ive heard.i'm slightly wary of people that are always smiling though.

I hate to be the odd man out (actually no I don't) but I do not think this is the land of smiles; not real smiles, I think the name is stupid, a pipe dream. I know if you look at someone you will get a smile back but it's not genuine. It is more like they are saying why are you looking at me? Maybe if I smile back I won't look like I have nothing to say or don't know what's going on.

Another smile you will see is, come on over here you brainless rich farang and buy everything in my shop. The BG's use that same smile for different merchandise.

If you take of the rose colored glasses you will see you actually get a lot of blank looks or even disapproving glares, and most people won't pay any attention to you at all. That's why they butt in front of you in line, you're invisible.

Whatever you might want to wish, if it's from a stranger you can be guaranteed the smiles are fake and reflexive.

I get real smiles from my Thai friends and family but the rest is a put on.

To answer Luckydog's poll the closest I can com is #4. Because it's a habit?

The smile is the decoration on the Thai Face which is their most guarded possession. Smiling is camouflage, a way of keeping real emotions behind the mask.

If this answer had included "When they are getting some cash from you" it would have been definitive imo.

I was just up north looking at some land. The guy who was trying to sell me the land never let the smile off his face; neither did his greasy gold chained buddy. He proceeded to explain to me that his remote piece of farmland was worth more than ten times the going rate. You could just see the contempt and disrespect written all over his face (behind the crocodlile smile). He’s been told farangs have more money than brains, and he was going to get his share.

No counter offer was given, too much BS from the get go.

The most amazing thing I saw in Thailand was after the tsunami - people that had lost their entire family and all their possessions, could still smile and laugh between the tears. At the time I just couldn't understand how they could still carry on smiling, but it is the Thai way to put a smile on any situation.

" Smiling is camouflage, a way of keeping real emotions behind the mask"

Although I don't agree with your overall comment, I do agree with this. What better expression to have though...sure beats the sour faces on so many in the western world.

Does it matter? As long as they’re smiling at you is good enough for me. It's just the way the thais in general respond to each other and to any strangers too. We are more expressive and don't have the stigma of being considered a fake or look like an idiot if we smile or laugh too much.

Same same as…some people laugh out of nervousness. It doesn't mean it's necessarily funny, it's just that they feel they need to give some sort of reaction.

Or it might be the same thing as guys being good at fake "at listening” to us women.

I salute those people who can smile even when the world around them is crumbling though!

Why should people smile?

It's an instinctive signal to show you that they don't see you as a threat.

However, I note an important difference in my daily life between the genuine smile and what we call the sh!t-eating smile here.

I mean the people who smile while they're dumping on you or running some scam.

Speaking for myself, I find people are more receptive to me if I can crack a smile.

And my personal view - who wants to talk to some sour faced bugger at a party anyway.

Does it matter? As long as they’re smiling at you is good enough for me.

I salute those people who can smile even when the world around them is crumbling though!

A friend of mine used to check gas wells in a military training zone. All the well heads were underground so they didn’t interfere with tanks and other training equipment. Many times when he went down he would see and hear a rattlesnake. He said he did not hate the rattlesnakes because they were honest with him. He said they were saying “I am here and I will bite you if you get too close.” Which he felt was more respectable than the way most people behave.

Much violence in the world could be avoided if both parties just gave a fake smile to each other, turned around and walked away. Practice smiling when you feel like giving someone the finger - your life will be more pleasant. Don't wait until your just about to have an orgasm of self-delight to begin to crack a smile. Smiles regenerate - be generous with them.

JR Texas: It is, in my view, cultural tradition, that is all (mostly). Actually most people tend to respond to a smile.....when you see Thais that look serious, get in their face and smile and they go on automatic and return the smile........usually.

It is a deep part of human nature to smile......babies actually do it before learning it (instinctive). It bonds us together and says "I am a friend and not an enemy."

But, as Hamlet said, "to smile and smile and be a villain." Something like that........

In my personal opinion, Thailand may well be termed the 'Land of smiles' (LOS)...which seemingly sits perfect alongside other 'terms' such as the Land of Corruption (LOC) Land of Xenophobia (LOX) etc etc! So it isnt solely the Land of smiles.

:o

Edited by kratindaeng

I'm beginning to think that it is easier to make you not realise what they are up to when they smile. So you never really know if they are genuine or not until you really get to know the person.

Why do they Smile?

1. Because they like us?

4. Because it's a habit?