Spotify raises premium subscription price for millions

Social Media

image.png

Spotify is raising prices for its 200 million ad-free subscribers for the first time in over a decade, the platform has announced.

In the UK prices will rise by £1 a month, to £10.99 for an individual plan, £14.99 for a premium duo plan and £17.99 for a family plan.

The price of a student plan remains unchanged at £5.99.

The move follows other streaming services which have also increased subscription costs.

Similar price hikes also apply to the US, Canada and 49 other territories.

In the US, the cost will go up from $9.99 to $10.99 (£8.57) for those with an individual plan.

The premium duo plan will increase from $12.99 to $14.99, the family plan from $15.99 to $16.99, and the student plan from $4.99 to $5.99.

"So that we can keep innovating, we are changing our Premium prices across a number of markets around the world," the music streaming service said on Monday.

"These updates will help us continue to deliver value to fans and artists on our platform."

Spotify said users "will be given a one-month grace period before the new price becomes effective, unless they cancel before the grace period ends".

The company raised prices of US family plans and UK student, duo, and family plans in 2021. Individual subscriptions were previously unaffected.

Apple Music, Peacock, Netflix, Max, and Paramount+ have also recently raised subscription prices.

The new Spotify Premium cost matches the monthly plans of competitors Apple Music and Amazon Music.

In an April earnings call, Swedish CEO Daniel Ek said the company would "like to raise prices in 2023".

"When the timing is right, we will raise it and that price increase will go down well because we're delivering a lot of value for our customers," Mr Ek said.

3 minutes ago, marin said:

Damn, here its going up 10B a month. May have to rethink my music. ????

yep just opened it and saw the notice....BUT I have multiple accounts and bounce around to get the free 3 month trials......or can get one with a new email account..just have to build up playlists but no biggie for 3 free months...so 3 free and pay for 3..not bad..50% as i use it daily for hours

7 minutes ago, Medicine Man said:

You are better off with YouTube premium in Thailand, the same audio quality as Spotify (YouTube music) plus you can watch YouTube without the annoying ads...

they have ads on youtube video's ? 

I just upgraded my free sub to the 3 month for ฿129 premium. Two days after the offer ended, the prices are up. It’s a clever snare, especially if you have to pay the extra quid or dollar.

Spotify Premium in Thailand for now 139b per month, previously 129b per month, is a great deal for a great service... And the ad-free version provides a lot of other benefits, such as being able to listen to full albums intact instead of in shuffle mode.

The new rate works out to about $4 per month USD for Thailand-based accounts. The same ad-free account based in the U.S. is priced at $10.99 per month now. And yet all the same western music is available for TH accounts as is available in Spotify accounts based elsewhere, in my experience.

The Thai Spotify premium account for a month is basically the same cost as a single Starbucks fancy coffee drink. Hard to argue with that. I'm not gonna lose sleep over a 10 baht per month price increase, the first one of its kind in some time.

Screenshot_2.jpg.c4634ab0ab238a4d6b5f444aee83b76c.jpg

https://www.spotify.com/us/premium/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's interesting to see how Spotify is adjusting its premium subscription prices after over a decade. Changes like these can definitely spark conversations. While price increases might not be the most exciting news, it's great to know that Spotify is aiming to continue innovating and delivering value to both fans and artists.

On 8/30/2023 at 2:14 PM, JacksRiVe said:

It's interesting to see how Spotify is adjusting its premium subscription prices after over a decade. Changes like these can definitely spark conversations. While price increases might not be the most exciting news, it's great to know that Spotify is aiming to continue innovating and delivering value to both fans and artists.

By the way, if you're into exploring ways to enhance your Spotify experience, you might find resources like Streaming Famous. It's fascinating to see how the music industry is evolving.

It's worth noting that subscription adjustments have become a trend across various streaming platforms. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the music streaming landscape.