90 day report on new passport but stamps not transferred

Background
my year  RE extension was issued in Trang
Phuket Will NOT transfer stamps to new US passport, but told to get it done in Trang
My 90 day report is due?

Do i need transfer the stamp, extension first or will phuket do the 90 day report on old passport?

2 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Background
my year  RE extension was issued in Trang
Phuket Will NOT transfer stamps to new US passport, but told to get it done in Trang
My 90 day report is due?

Do i need transfer the stamp, extension first or will phuket do the 90 day report on old passport?

No need to transfer until the end of your old one.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No need to transfer until the end of your old one.

Surely the old passport is now invalid. My IO transferred Extension & Visa stamps at the next 90 day report, or would have done it if I had simply taken new Passport to them. NO CHARGE either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreverlomsak said:

Assume from the refusal to transfer stamps into the new passport that your still registered as residing in Trang, you need to submit a TM30 to Phuket Immigration to show you are now at a Phuket address, if you want to have them do anything for you.

In most cases the Non O visa information and any extension stamps etc can only to transferred at the immigration office where they are issued.

I'm not sure how the OP can avoid a trip to Trang for transfer of stamps.

Perhaps @BritTim has a solution..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

RE extension was issued in Trang

In my case it was the opposite. RE extension was issued in CW (Bkk) so I went there to do the stamp transfer. After waiting in queue and all that, the IO summarily told me to get this done at where I am living now, which is in Samut Prakan. And which I should have done but thanks to advice on this forum I went to CW instead.

Back to Samut Prakan, the transfer was done but took a long time and by the time that finished the office was ready to close and I had to come back the next day for the 90 day report.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Surely the old passport is now invalid. My IO transferred Extension & Visa stamps at the next 90 day report, or would have done it if I had simply taken new Passport to them. NO CHARGE either.

Your old PP is valid until the expiry date as with your extension, Immigration have no Idea when you received your new one. yes it's free. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Your old PP is valid until the expiry date as with your extension, Immigration have no Idea when you received your new one. yes it's free. 

In the case of a UK Passport, either VFS clip the corner off when they give you the new one, invalidating it, or you are told to do that yourself. 

I think Thai passports get holes punched in them, same as Driving Licences which expire or are replaced.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

They should do, my local sub office one in Trat did my 90days. He told me to go to their main office, but I knew it was not necessary until the end of passport, if you look at your extension stamp it will be valid till end of PP. But that was the same province.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 3

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In most cases the Non O visa information and any extension stamps etc can only to transferred at the immigration office where they are issued.

I managed to have my stamp transferred at a different immigration office, but I had to contact the office where the stamp was issued to have them "update the stamp in the online system". The people at the old immigration office that I talked to over the phone had no idea what I wanted done, but eventually I got an immigration officer at my new office to talk to them, and they sorted it out.

Not sure if that's something Phuket/Trang will do, but it seems to be doable in general.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

As is often the case in Thailand, officials will try to avoid doing work. The fact is that essential stamp transfer can be done at any airport, land crossing or immigration office, in general, if this is a prerequisite for some other immediate action. What they should not do is transfer stamps that were not issued by them, and which remain valid in the old passport (though that can often also be arranged if the officials agree). The rules on this are complicated, and immigration's computer system will sometimes try to prevent actions that, in theory, should be allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Assume from the refusal to transfer stamps into the new passport that your still registered as residing in Trang, you need to submit a TM30 to Phuket Immigration to show you are now at a Phuket address, if you want to have them do anything for you.

NO; i "moved" back  phuket and 2 previous 90 day reports are done in Phuket
They refused to transfer stamps to new passport for friend of mine last week, same thing as me, extension issued in Trang BUT filed new tm 30 for Phuket

Your old PP is valid until the expiry date

WRONG, old passport is invalid the date the new one is issued<  extensions are valid till they expire

...The fact is that essential stamp transfer can be done at any airport, land crossing or immigration office, in general, if this is a prerequisite for some other immediate action. What they should not do is transfer stamps that were not issued by them, and which remain valid in the old passport (though that can often also be arranged if the officials agree). 

OK: understood, So i can go out of Thailand and stamps will be transferred when i leave OR return?

BUT nobody has answered my question>
WILL phuket ( where i am registered as living) do a 90 day report ON a old /invalid passport, since new one is issued without Transferring stamps?
OR will they say NOPE, must first transfer stamps

Has no one run into this?

37 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

OK: understood, So i can go out of Thailand and stamps will be transferred when i leave OR return?

Essential information will be transferred from the old passport to the new passport when you leave Thailand. Assuming your new passport was received while still in Thailand, there will be nothing necessary that needs to be transferred on your return, but you will need to show both passports.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

BUT nobody has answered my question>
WILL phuket ( where i am registered as living) do a 90 day report ON a old /invalid passport, since new one is issued without Transferring stamps?
OR will they say NOPE, must first transfer stamps

Phuket should not (but might) refuse to process your 90-day report in person when showing them both passports. You have moved your residence, and it is their responsibility to update their system accordingly.

• Like 2

cool:
one thing i am considering to avoid the hassle is when the 90 day is due , head up to Ranong and exit
kills two stones at one time
gets all needed info transferred and no 90 day report till next time ????

1 minute ago, zzzzz said:

cool:
one thing i am considering to avoid the hassle is when the 90 day is due , head up to Ranong and exit
kills two stones at one time
gets all needed info transferred and no 90 day report till next time ????

That would be a solution. Make sure you have a re-entry permit (or multiple entry visa) unless you want your current permission to stay cancelled. I am not sure of the situation with getting re-entry permits prior to departure at Ranong. It may be possible, but only during normal immigration opening hours. I doubt the office where you stamp out of Thailand has a re-entry permit desk. Perhaps, someone else knows.

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

...The fact is that essential stamp transfer can be done at any airport, land crossing or immigration office, in general, if this is a prerequisite for some other immediate action. What they should not do is transfer stamps that were not issued by them, and which remain valid in the old passport (though that can often also be arranged if the officials agree). The rules on this are complicated, and immigration's computer system will sometimes try to prevent actions that, in theory, should be allowed.

A somewhat different but related question for @BritTim

> I re-entered Thailand yesterday with a new passport. 

I showed the border-immigration official my old passport (corner clipped) which contains the original 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement), my 1-year extension valid until 20 Dec 2023 based on that Non Imm O Visa, as well as the re-entry permit I bought before leaving the country.  All of these stamps in my old passport were issued by my SiSaKet Imm Office.

The border-immigration official did stamp me in till 20 Dec 2023 and invalidated the Re-Entry Permit in my old passport with 2 stripes and a 'USED' stamp.  

So I now need to have the original Non Imm O Visa transfered to my new passport by my SiSaKet Imm Office which issued that original one. 

QUESTION > WHEN do I need to have this done?

Having entered Thailand yesterday my next 90-day report would be due 25 October. 

I will try to do that 90-day report on-line so that I do not have to make the long journey to my SiSaKet Imm Office, but I am not sure whether that would be possible given the fact that I have a new passport that only contains my Admission stamp valid till 20 Dec 2023.

If I am able to do that 90-day report on-line I will have the stamps transferred when my next 1-year extension is due (Dec 20).

Or should that stamp-transfer process be done asap?

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

You certainly do not have to do the stamp transfer immediately. However, correct completion of your next 90-day report (using the new passport number and date of entry) is unlikely to be possible online. I think that will need to be done in person (using both passports) and they will transfer what is necessary from the old passport then.

Hi @BritTim > Thanks for quick answere on my query, it's as I presumed but good to have it confirmed by your response.  So my local Immigration Office will do the stamp transfers when I go there in person for doing my first 90-day report on the new Passport (and obviously I also need to bring both the new and old passport).  Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Hi @BritTim > Thanks for quick answere on my query, it's as I presumed but good to have it confirmed by your response.  So my local Immigration Office will do the stamp transfers when I go there in person for doing my first 90-day report on the new Passport (and obviously I also need to bring both the new and old passport).  Thanks again.

There is one other point that I should have thought to mention earlier. Stamp transfer is not necessary to do quickly for immigration purposes. However, you are supposed to promptly update your passport information in some other places (for instance, your bank). They will not necessarily be happy updating their records based on information from both the old and new passports (though there is no reason they cannot).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

So I now need to have the original Non Imm O Visa transfered to my new passport by my SiSaKet Imm Office which issued that original one

The visa is not transfered.

Information relating to the visa is entered into first page of new pp.

No need to transfer any stamps in certain time frame.

Best option is to do your next 90 day report in person and have transfer of information and any necessary stamps to new pp at the same time.

Alternatively you could skip the 90 day report and have transfer and next extension (Nov-Dec) done same time. 

Meaning one trip and a fine for doing 90 report late. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

Are they still asking for a embassy letter when doing a transfer to a new pp at immigration? 

Hopefully Thai immigration is up to speed on this.

AU, USA, UK have stopped providing letter to request transfer of stamps. Perhaps there are others.

Think USA is supplying a statement that they do not provide any.

In any event should not be an issue. 

There is a form available.

If you paste this into Google it will provide form.

1486548719379.doc Request to transfer the stamp to a new passport 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1247977-transfer-visa-stamps-from-old-passport-to-new-passport-process/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

US  letter:

Dear Immigration official of the Royal Thai Government Please be informed that as of April 10, 2023, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the Consulate General in Chiang Mai no longer issue passport linkage letters. For purposes of transferring visas for cancelled U.S. passports to new U.S. passports, please refer to the passports themselves. 

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:25 AM, zzzzz said:

Dear Immigration official of the Royal Thai Government Please be informed that as of April 10, 2023, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the Consulate General in Chiang Mai no longer issue passport linkage letters. For purposes of transferring visas for cancelled U.S. passports to new U.S. passports, please refer to the passports themselves. 

Arrogant Yankee!

What do you mean, refer to the passports themselves?! You're in Thailand, where we, not you, define the requirements for transferring immigration information between old and new passports. Are you telling us that, since you've stopped issuing linkage letters, that it is no longer a requirement? Man, you're messin' with the wrong country...

Anyway, hope your citizens will put this action in their portfolio of gripes, along with no more income letters issued. In the meantime, no linkage letter, no immigration stamp transfer. Understood, Uncle Sam?

Geez!!

On 7/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, brianthainess said:

Your old PP is valid until the expiry date as with your extension,

Absolutely incorrect. Stop your mis-information. Old passport is invalid the MOMENT new passport is issued. Period.

On 7/28/2023 at 6:53 AM, BritTim said:

You certainly do not have to do the stamp transfer immediately. However, correct completion of your next 90-day report (using the new passport number and date of entry) is unlikely to be possible online. I think that will need to be done in person (using both passports) and they will transfer what is necessary from the old passport then.

Correct, though old passport is rendered invalid by the issuance of a new one, the (Thai) immigration stamps are still valid until their expiration date. To make life easier on all concerned (including the bank teller) that is if you care to, then do the stamp transfer at your earliest conveniences. In any event, that needs to be done prior, or at the same time of your next immigration formalities requirement (extension, 90 day ect.) Think of this like moving your furniture to your new house.

56 minutes ago, watthong said:

Absolutely incorrect. Stop your mis-information. Old passport is invalid the MOMENT new passport is issued. Period.

No you are wrong it is still valid within the country as is your extension until the expiry date. 

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No you are wrong it is still valid within the country as is your extension until the expiry date. 

Some of the stamps in the old passport remain valid, whether the original expiry date of the old passport has passed or not. Once the old passport has been superseded by the new one, it cannot be used for travel, and no further stamps will be placed in it. Some places may accept it as proof of identification, but they do not have to.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No.

Any visas or permission of stay stamps remain valid.

The password is not valid. 

Edited by DrJack54