Can I Get A Marriage Visa In Penang?

If you are married to a Thai you can. And if you have a bank passbook you can show along with the marriage certificate/id card you may be able to obtain a multi entry. Have not seen any feedback on minimum amount required yet.

Thanks for that Lopburi, does the bank book have to be in joint names or can I just produce my own bank book? Does my spouse have to accompany me to Penang or can the visa be granted on producing his I.D card and our wedding certificate?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks

Account can be in your name and anywhere in the world but should be dated within 30 days. You can do by yourself with the marriage certificate/copy of id or passport. It may also be possible to do this in Penang now.

Thanks Lopburi,

Just to clarify ...the visa issued will be a one year visa and not stamped 'under consideration' with a one month extension?

Having previously obtained for a Non O based on marriage here in the Kingdom, they usually give me about two to three 'under consideration stamps' with month to month extensions..I take it by applying in Penang I can save myself the hassle of having to check in with local immigration each month?

One final question, would I be able to usea local 'agaent' in Penang to do this for me or must I go in person and apply?

You will have to leave the country every 90 days, so no need to check in with immigration.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. You will get a Non O at Penang. The extension, which you must apply for at the local immigration office and where you do not have to leave the country for a year, is a marriage visa.

There are agents galore in Penang who can do this for about 20 ringgit. Search this forum for a list.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. You will get a Non O at Penang. The extension, which you must apply for at the local immigration office and where you do not have to leave the country for a year, is a marriage visa.

Sorry but wrong. It is an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai national.

If you previously had a one year extension of stay from Immigration it is not the same thing as a visa. With a one year non immigrant O visa you are free to travel/enter/exit at any time for a period of one year from date of issue. Each entry into Thailand will receive a 90 day permitted to stay stamp. You must leave before that stamp expires; but you can immediately return and receive another 90 day permitted to stay stamp.

Yes you can use an agent - he will require marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card and bank passbook from recent reports. The amount required in bank has not been mentioned but probably would be a sure thing if more than 400k.

Okay, now I am totally confused!!...My current visa is a Non imm B(based on work), but as of Sept I may need to change it back to a Non o based on marriage...I would prefer to have the visa thing sorted in one go even if it means exiting and re-entering the country every 90 days...Am I along the right lines Lopburi?

You have the options to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate and later extend; or a multi entry (if you qualify) and be able to use for 90 day stays as long as you want for the time (one year) that it is valid. If you should decide to extend your stay at Immigration you can do so (meeting the 40k family income) at any time while using these visa entries and then would not have to exit country (but would have to report address every 90 days). The present system for extension should only require one month under consideration.

Sorry, you are wrong, sir. I am talking about embassy or consul visas. I am not talking about extending Non O within Thailand. Read the title of this topic before you ASSume.

Sorry but wrong. It is an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai national.

You want a second chance?

First you say "There is no such thing as a marriage visa." And they you proceed to call a one year extension of stay "The extension, which you must apply for at the local immigration office and where you do not have to leave the country for a year, is a marriage visa."

In fact your first sentence is correct. But your second sentence is not. And believe that is what the poster was correcting.

Sorry, you are wrong, sir. I am talking about embassy or consul visas. I am not talking about extending Non O within Thailand. Read the title of this topic before you ASSume.

Who is wrong ? People are trying to help the OP out with his questions , you are probably more confused then the questionairy ,

because you do not know what you are talking about yourself . And nobody is assuming , they are correcting what is staed wrongly , intentionally or not is not the point , things should be corrected , so that everybody who reads it does not get confused and gets the right info that he or she may need .

You are nothing to me to "offer" me a second chance, Lopburi.

A marriage visa, I will type s.l.o.w., is what you get at a local immigration office, to extend your Non O. Am I correct or wrong?

A Non O received at a consul or embassy is NOT a marriage visa.

The title of the topic is "Replying to can I can get a marriage visa in Penang?".

First you say "There is no such thing as a marriage visa." And they you proceed to call a one year extension of stay "The extension, which you must apply for at the local immigration office and where you do not have to leave the country for a year, is a marriage visa."

In fact your first sentence is correct. But your second sentence is not. And believe that is what the poster was correcting.

You are nothing to me to "offer" me a second chance, Lopburi.

A marriage visa, I will type s.l.o.w., is what you get at a local immigration office, to extend your Non O. Am I correct or wrong?

A Non O received at a consul or embassy is NOT a marriage visa.

The title of the topic is "Replying to can I can get a marriage visa in Penang?".

The second chance was not a threat - it was an invitation to change your wording if you had made a mistake typing (as several of us thought you had). You stated there was no such thing and then you said there was.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa period. What you obtain from Immigration is a one year extension of stay for family reasons. It is not a visa.

... what you get at a local immigration office, to extend your Non O.

And while we’re at it, sniperteam6, what gets extended by the Immigration office is not your non-O visa, but your permission to stay. Just look at the title of the application, TM-7, you fill out: “Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom”

--

Maestro

I have been in Thailand on Non O's and recently a Non Imm B visas. My current contract expires in September and am wondering If I would be able to apply for a Non O based on marriage in Penang? Any ideas?

Go to Penang - if possible, bring your wife and her ID - if you have a child, bring them too.

No matter if you cannot bring wife/child - just bring copies of your wife's ID, your Thai marriage certificate, and apparently your thai bankbook or other proof of income. This is all you need.

I have to say, I didn't get asked for any proof of income or bank statements when I got my multi-O in Singapore last Oct, but apparently things have changed since then. I just showed my pregnant wife, her ID, our marriage certiciate, and my passport.

Supposedly, the current rules say you only need to show your wife's ID, and your thai marriage certificate, and your passport.

Then, once your one year non-O expires, you can get a one year extension (form TM-7) from the local immigration office. For this, you need to show 40k / month in income. This can be just you, just your wife, or a combination of both.

Having said that, some embassy and consulates have interpereted that to mean you have to show income in order to get your initial non-O visa. This was not the case for me.

Sunbelt may be able to shed some more light on this part of the fine print.

Kind regards,

Gavin

Apply: Non-Immigrant "VISA" Type O-Marriage outside the kingdom,

if appoved, next step apply "VISA" extension inside the kingdom.

( sweet looking immigration intern--"Sir? You want infomation to apply what "VISA"?

Tourist "VISA", ED "VISA" or Non-Immigrant Type ## "VISA"?....Bla..Bla..Bla...)

In short, it's a Marriage Visa!!! :o

I have multi entry O visa which i leave the country every 3 months i had this visa b4 i was married , now that i am married and marriage registered in Bkk can i get the 1 year visa ? if i can where would i do this in Thailand or the uk .

JB

I have multi entry O visa which i leave the country every 3 months i had this visa b4 i was married , now that i am married and marriage registered in Bkk can i get the 1 year visa ? if i can where would i do this in Thailand or the uk .

JB

You can get it at any Immigration office in Thailand if you or your wife ,or both together can prove a monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

If you meet the requirements for extension of stay for family, 40k monthly family income as proven over the last three months or more (proof requirements can vary by office but normally is tax payments). This is done together at an immigration office using form TM.7 and cost is 1,900 baht.

If this can not be done you can obtain the same type of visa you previously had in Singapore if you have a bank account somewhere with 400k (equal to baht) and marriage certificate/copy of her ID card. Same should also be good in Penang (but may even be less money in account - no firm word yet) and probably also in KL (sometimes with no account in the past). In home country it is likely to be easy to obtain except at some larger locations.

Perhaps I'm just stupid, but I do find these rules very confusing. So, please, no flames, just think of me as an idiot if I ask a stupid question which has been answered a thousand times. (Trouble is that there seem to be so many different answers!)

The extension of stay on the basis of marriage sounds appealing, but the income requirement might be a problem. My personal situation is that I can show indisputabe monthly income of 20,000 baht (UK government pension). My wife earns about 10,000 baht - salaried, provable. This leaves me with a shortfall of what I take to be 10,000 baht a month. In fact, I can show more than that in interest on UK offshore bank deposits. Is that acceptable as income?

And, if that is not acceptable, can I make up the balance by showing assets in a bank account, either offshore or, if necessary, in Thailand.

I should be very grateful for advice.

A bank account can not be used but I suspect your Embassy may be able to include the interest income in there calculations if you can provide proof. The only remaining question is what Immigration will want to see as we really have not had many first person accounts from those using foreign income. For Thai income it will be tax payment proof.

Perhaps I'm just stupid, but I do find these rules very confusing. So, please, no flames, just think of me as an idiot if I ask a stupid question which has been answered a thousand times. (Trouble is that there seem to be so many different answers!)

The extension of stay on the basis of marriage sounds appealing, but the income requirement might be a problem. My personal situation is that I can show indisputabe monthly income of 20,000 baht (UK government pension). My wife earns about 10,000 baht - salaried, provable. This leaves me with a shortfall of what I take to be 10,000 baht a month. In fact, I can show more than that in interest on UK offshore bank deposits. Is that acceptable as income?

And, if that is not acceptable, can I make up the balance by showing assets in a bank account, either offshore or, if necessary, in Thailand.

I should be very grateful for advice.

If you already have a Pension, I take it you are retired,why not apply for a retirement Visa and just show the amount you have in the bank? '800,000 Baht I belive.