Unprecedented six-day holiday leads to tourist boom in Pattaya

webfact

Many years ago I had a Thai girlfriend who was a hotel receptionist. Besides public holidays she was only given 6 days per annum as holiday days to take whenever she wanted. (In my current job in the UK I get public holidays + 21 days when I want them). 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Yesterday marked the kick-off of an unprecedented six-day holiday. Pattaya‘s beaches and tourist hotspots were abuzz as visitors flocked, particularly to Koh Larn, a stunning island located roughly 7 kilometres from the coast. According to local accommodation providers, the entirety of the island’s estimated 3,000 rooms were booked out.

The rush of tourists, both Thai and foreign, regularly set sail from Bali Hai pier in South Pattaya to the island. In response to the influx, the Pattaya City Municipality in collaboration with the Marine Office mobilised officials to assist in managing the crowd at the pier.

Safety standards were paramount and authorities worked with ferry operators to assert strict adherence to safety guidelines regarding the number of passengers aboard each boat. Furthermore, passengers were mandated to don life jackets during the journey. Anticipating the surge, additional parking was secured to cater for the increased volume of vehicles, according to local authorities.

This significant rise in room demand for Koh Larn can be attributed to the recently approved proposal by the cabinet secretariat. This unusual declaration declared an additional ‘special’ public holiday. This extended the typical vacation period from July 28 to August 2, in a move to rejuvenate tourism. Moreover, this elongated break overlapped with other set holidays such as His Majesty the King’s birthday, Asanha Bucha Day, and the commencement of the Buddhist Lent.

by Mitch Connor 

Image by lemaret pierrick's Images

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/unprecedented-six-day-holiday-leads-to-tourist-boom-in-pattayas-koh-larn

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Feels quieter and peaceful where I am. Must be because all the employees that linger around all day have gone home and/or some of the shops are closed.

Wish it was always like this. Very peaceful.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Spock said:

Are banks closed throughout this period too? I need to send money to a Thai friend's account but it appears he will have to wait.

Bank offices are on a 3 day weekend, Fri-Sun, back to work on Monday. By law they cannot close in excess of 4 days.

• Love It 1