Unprecedented six-day holiday leads to tourist boom in Pattaya

webfact

21 minutes ago, swerve said:

According to the article, Koh Larn is a stunning island.  Not sure about that. I went to a southern beach there five months ago. Just behind the beach area lies an amazing amount of garbage and empty beer bottles.  The island could be a large garbage dump. Sad but true. The people who live or work there obviously don't care about this problem.

reminds me of vietnam..i volunteered at a stunning spot next to a 5 star resort.....the beach was in a fishing village and the locals would trash it and laugh at me as i picked up trash to keep our resort area clean....we even got a big blue vat for trash and someone stole it!.....frustrating!

Also currents would bring in a daily heap of trash and noodle wrappers from the Fishing boats

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

Just wait for the typical AN posters to put a negative spin on this.

Here we go. I won't be going anywhere near Pattaya City or the beach areas until next Thursday at the earliest. I've got my booze in and any small items I'll get from the local 7/11s. The only thing I won't be able to avoid is the locals playing their loud bass-heavy music, which happens during every public holiday break. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

reminds me of vietnam..i volunteered at a stunning spot next to a 5 star resort.....the beach was in a fishing village and the locals would trash it and laugh at me as i picked up trash to keep our resort area clean....we even got a big blue vat for trash and someone stole it!.....frustrating!

Also currents would bring in a daily heap of trash and noodle wrappers from the Fishing boats

That surprises me, especially with the way the authorities are so strong on littering in Halong Bay!

Also, in Hanoi I watched them all throw all their garbage into the street from the bars and restaurants, however, immediately behind were teams of workers cleaning it all up and putting it into waste wagons at 1.00am in the morning.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

and the locals would trash it and laugh at me as i picked up trash to keep our resort area clean.

I recall talking to a Palestinian in UAE after he just threw rubbish on the ground in his workplace, and I was told 'people  will laugh at you in my country for saying that'....my though that he hadn't really got a country and may not deserve one I kept to myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ill post a positive...the bargirls  and tuk tuk/taxi mafia are beside themselves with joy!    ????

Not quite, as noted and seen the overwhelming majority of these "tourists"  are Thais. Before they "improved" Pattaya beach (the destruction of the promenade and beach side pickup/cars parking ...) July/August was a mini high season for Europeans. All these extended holidays and happy **** events on weekends to attract Thais are now required to make up for the long gone Westerners 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, petermik said:

image.png.11f06ce6284f4e67f486e5843987c8b6.png

If that did happen it will be a first..........

I am on Ko Samet Island now.   On ferry boats out here, there was no one standing (unless they wanted to I guess).  No more passengers than there were seats.  

On the boat I was on, the only person who did not have a life jacket, was a baby.   My two grandkids had their own that I had purchased.   What surprised me was the adult life jackets appeared to be new, but that was only on the boat I was on. 

Leaving in a couple of hours.   I will see what it looks like on the way back. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmmm... its a 6 day holiday for thais NOT for tourists i suggest. Funny how these differences get confused ? (again)

Thais  can most certainly be tourists in Pattaya....and other locations in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 2:06 PM, Andrew65 said:

Many years ago I had a Thai girlfriend who was a hotel receptionist. Besides public holidays she was only given 6 days per annum as holiday days to take whenever she wanted. (In my current job in the UK I get public holidays + 21 days when I want them). 

That's only 3 weeks plus public holidays, in Germany I got 6 weeks plus public holidays. Standards vary according to where you live.

Edited by soalbundy
  • Sad 1

Pattaya Mail, ThailandSanphet Suphabuansathien, President of the Thai Hotels Association (Eastern Chapter) said that the 6-day holiday weekend failed to meet expectations in terms of driving hotel bookings in Pattaya.The Thai government’s decision to include July 31 in the public holiday calendar, creating a 6-day long holiday period from July 28 to August 2, did not bring the expected boost to Pattaya’s hotel bookings.

Who do you believe? Better to wait until Wednesday when they might know something not just speculate.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
Typo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

That surprises me, especially with the way the authorities are so strong on littering in Halong Bay!

Also, in Hanoi I watched them all throw all their garbage into the street from the bars and restaurants, however, immediately behind were teams of workers cleaning it all up and putting it into waste wagons at 1.00am in the morning.

i was in bai xep...very small local fishing village a little drive to nearest town for supplies...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I recall talking to a Palestinian in UAE after he just threw rubbish on the ground in his workplace, and I was told 'people  will laugh at you in my country for saying that'....my though that he hadn't really got a country and may not deserve one I kept to myself. 

a chinese guy in CM threw his cig box on the ground the other day..i was standing there looking at him..i picked it up and handed it back to him....the look on his face....tho he prob just waited til i left....works with the thais too....esp those dudes throwing those cards off of their mbikes as they drive around at night..the ones u see all over the streets and shops doorways....

On 7/29/2023 at 2:06 PM, hotchilli said:

My local Mom & Pop with come through yet again 6 out of the 6.

Your mom and pop probably isn't in an area where some random tourist is likely to trash a 7-11 while inebriated by the effects of several base chemicals.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

That's only 3 weeks plus public holidays, in Germany I got 6 weeks plus public holidays. Standards vary according to where you live.

That's actually 4 weeks and 1 day of holiday, if you take into account that a working week is 5 days. 

I worked in Germany for a short while. One thing I noticed was that there was NO WAY that you were gonna get (most) Germans working on a Sunday. 

38 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

That's actually 4 weeks and 1 day of holiday, if you take into account that a working week is 5 days. 

I worked in Germany for a short while. One thing I noticed was that there was NO WAY that you were gonna get (most) Germans working on a Sunday. 

Well police, firemen, nurses, doctors, airline staff, armed services, hotel staff, restaurant and bar staff apart you are correct, normally there should be no need if a company is well organized. I've worked in the office on Saturdays sometimes if an emergency arose and even offered to do a Sunday but even my boss would balk at Sundays, as he himself once said, "We aren't Japanese, there has to be time for the beer garden."

You're right on the maths as well, a pensioner has 7 days holiday a week, that can cause confusion when considering the working population, which I rarely do.

11 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Nearer the truth!

When I arrived in town yesterday at about 10am, there seemed to be loads of traffic. As is often the case I struggled to cross Klang and 3rd Rd safely, but it seemed to have quietened down after midday, surprising for a holiday weekend. 

• Like 1