Paul Reubens: Pee-wee Herman actor dies age 70

Social Media

image.png

US actor Paul Reubens, who rose to fame in the 1980s as the character Pee-wee Herman, died at 70 on Sunday after a private struggle with cancer.

"Paul bravely and privately fought cancer for years with his trademark tenacity and wit," said a statement released by his estate on Monday.

Reubens' iconic cult Herman character led to a TV series and multiple films.

But he put aside the role for nearly 20 years after being arrested for indecent exposure in 1991 at a movie theatre.

In a posthumously released statement on his Instagram account the actor spoke about keeping his diagnosis private.

"Please accept my apology for not going public with what I've been facing the last six years," the statement said.

"I have always felt a huge amount of love and respect from my friends, fans and supporters. I have loved you all so much and enjoyed making art for you."

His estate added that he was an "iconic American actor, comedian, writer and producer whose beloved character Pee-wee Herman delighted generations of children and adults with his positivity, whimsy and belief in the importance of kindness".

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png