Savannakhet Non Imm O Visa application requirements - some questions

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

The link to the Savannakhet Thai consulate website provides the following info for family Visa:  

Non - Immigrant Visa "O" (Visiting family member of a Thai nationality, a spouse of Thai national)

Non-Immigrant Visa "O" is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for the purpose of visiting family member of a Thai nationality, a spouse of Thai national. The validity of visa is 3 months. The permitted length of stay is up to 90 days from the date of arrival in Thailand.

Required documents

1. Visa application form [Download] which is completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  2. Original and a copy of passport or travel document (must not expire within 180 days and contain at least two complete empty visa pages)
  3. Two (2) photos of the applicant (3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken within 6 months)
  4. Original and a copy of marriage certificate (for spouse/parent) or birth certificate (for child).
  5. A copy of Thai identification card (for spouse/parent)
  6. A copy of passport (for spouse/parent)
  7. A copy of Thai House registration
  8. Visa Fee: 2,000 Baht (Single Entry)

Questions:

#1 - The web-page does not mention the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa, which is definitely also available there and costs 5.000,- THB.

> Are there any additional requirements for such 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa?

#2 - For a marriage to Thai national Non Imm O Visa, the webpage only mentions (#4) the original and a copy of marriage certificate.

> Is there no need to also provide evidence that you are STILL married to your Thai wife?

> Do they accept any official marriage certificate as evidence e.g. from marriage outside Thailand, or is there Embassy notification/translation required from a foreign marriage certificate with a Thai national?

The multiple entry Non O visa is only provided for marriage to a Thai and for retirement. For marriage, the multiple entry visa seems to require nothing extra. For retirement, I think the financial proof is necessary whether for single or multiple entry.

I think foreign marriage certificates are acceptable, but should be accompanied by a certified translation if not in Thai or English. They might ask for additional evidence that the marriage is ongoing, but a simple handwritten note from your spouse requesting that they issue you a visa to visit is usually sufficient.

• Thanks 1

I used this visa route before Covid in 2019 getting a family member multiple entry visa. At that time

1. If you are not taking your wife with you and there is no need to then for both single and multiple entry visas the advice on AN was to take an '"invitation letter" from your wife addressed to the Ambassador/ Consul clearly written or typed in Thai language, naming you as on marriage  certificate/ passport, that she invites you to stay, specifying the address where you will stay her during your 90 day visits, signed and dated by her. 

2. a. Not that I am aware of. But I have seen that other Embassies have started asking for a recent Thai khor Ror 2 marriage registration document to confirm the marriage is still current. That is obtainable from your local Amphur if your marriage has been registered in Thailand. Of course you can't get a Khor Ror 2 with a non Thai marriage unless you have subsequently registered it in Thailand ( which I below you can do).

b. We were married in Thailand so I don't know but I suspect you may need a MoFA legalised copy of an official Thai translation of a non Thai marriage certificate.

I hope that others with recent experience at Savanakhet will chip in, add or correct me

• Thanks 1

There are other threads about this. You go to your local ampur and get an updated marriage certificate -Kor ror 2 I think it is called for 100b or so. I do not think you can get a visa with a foreign marriage certificate unless you have registered the marriage in Thailand. You only need a signed copy of your wifes id card. You do not need her passport or a letter but if you want to cover everything bring one. They ask for proof of 20,000 b in a foreign bank but they did not take mine. The shop across the road prints a form for you and you write  multi-entry on top of it and make sure they take the 5000b. I went there last November.

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit
  • Thanks 1

I got my Non O based on marriage from Savannakhet last August. I provided exactly what was on the list, nothing more nothing less. I use a marriage certificate from the US and it is not translated.  It's as simple as the 90 day application, but you show on your application that you are applying from one (1) year and be prepared to pay them 5,000 baht. I wish that I would have held back my wife's passport copy because it has never been required in past, but I forgot...

Good Luck.  Have a good and safe trip.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2023 at 5:53 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

I used this visa route before Covid in 2019 getting a family member multiple entry visa. At that time

1. If you are not taking your wife with you and there is no need to then for both single and multiple entry visas the advice on AN was to take an '"invitation letter" from your wife addressed to the Ambassador/ Consul clearly written or typed in Thai language, naming you as on marriage  certificate/ passport, that she invites you to stay, specifying the address where you will stay her during your 90 day visits, signed and dated by her. 

2. a. Not that I am aware of. But I have seen that other Embassies have started asking for a recent Thai khor Ror 2 marriage registration document to confirm the marriage is still current. That is obtainable from your local Amphur if your marriage has been registered in Thailand. Of course you can't get a Khor Ror 2 with a non Thai marriage unless you have subsequently registered it in Thailand ( which I below you can do).

b. We were married in Thailand so I don't know but I suspect you may need a MoFA legalised copy of an official Thai translation of a non Thai marriage certificate.

I hope that others with recent experience at Savanakhet will chip in, add or correct me

I never heard about any advice to bring a letter written by your wife for Savannakhet, whether pre or post Covid. I've gotten 4 visas through there now, all non-O multiple entry. 3 pre Covid, one post Covid. The requirements are still the same now as they were in early 2020 and prior to that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 1:54 PM, Wongkitlo said:

There are other threads about this. You go to your local ampur and get an updated marriage certificate -Kor ror 2 I think it is called for 100b or so. I do not think you can get a visa with a foreign marriage certificate unless you have registered the marriage in Thailand. You only need a signed copy of your wifes id card. You do not need her passport or a letter but if you want to cover everything bring one. They ask for proof of 20,000 b in a foreign bank but they did not take mine. The shop across the road prints a form for you and you write  multi-entry on top of it and make sure they take the 5000b. I went there last November.

You don't need the updated kor ror 2. That's only required for in country extensions. The original one from when you got married years ago, is good enough for them.

1 minute ago, Highlandman said:

You don't need the updated kor ror 2. That's only required for in country extensions. The original one from when you got married years ago, is good enough for them.

I always take an up to date KR2, why take a chance over a 20bht form when you planned a couple of days trip for a very important reason........ 🤭

IF, if the official has a suspicion about something, you will be 100% covered by an up to date KR2, which proves categorically you are still married......😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, transam said:

I always take an up to date KR2, why take a chance over a 20bht form when you planned a couple of days trip for a very important reason........ 🤭

IF, if the official has a suspicion about something, you will be 100% covered by an up to date KR2, which proves categorically you are still married......😉

It is a good idea to do that. I asked before I went for my latest visa and was told by someone who did it before me, that the original one was fine.

Next time I might consider bringing an updated one, just in case. Only costs 10 Baht anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I never heard about any advice to bring a letter written by your wife for Savannakhet, whether pre or post Covid. I've gotten 4 visas through there now, all non-O multiple entry. 3 pre Covid, one post Covid. The requirements are still the same now as they were in early 2020 and prior to that.

It is required when applying for a Non O to visit your Thai spouse at some embassies/consulates. Savannakhet has historically not demanded it, but I would suggest taking one along just in case. Preparing such a letter takes five minutes.

• Thumbs Up 2