30 or 60 days extension before marriage extension?

Hey

I entered Thailand on a 30 day visa on arrival but I will apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage. However, before I apply for that marriage extension, is it possible to first get a 30 or 60 day extension? 

If I remember correctly I need to apply for visa extensions within the last 2 weeks of my current visa? Or is it the opposite, I need to apply at least 2 weeks before my current visa expires? 

Thank you. 

you need to obtain a non immigrant 'O' visa first in order to apply for a yearly extension,

so its 30 day visa exempt entry stamp, ( a 30 day extension on this entry is possible) then with 14 day still remaining on your 30 day permission to stay stamp, obtain at local immigration office (2000thb) a non 'O' visa giving you a 90 day permission to stay stamp, then in the last 30 days of that permission stamp apply for a yearly extension

Edited by steve187
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As mentioned by @steve187 in order to apply for a 1-year extension, you first need to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O (marriage) Visa. 

Many threads on the Forum outlining the process for doing so. 

As you entered Thailand VisaExempt, you were stamped in by Thai border-immigration with a 30-day Permission to stay. 

The application for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa needs to be done when you have at least 15 days left on that Permission to stay (some Imm offices require 21, 23 or 15 business days).  When you do not have sufficient time to get hold of the required documentation for such application, you can apply at your local Imm Office for a 30-day extension of stay (1900, - THB) delivered on the spot and ADDED to your current Permission to stay expiry date (so no need to wait till last days to apply for it). 

If still not sufficient time you could on top of that apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your Thai wife. You need to be accompanied by your Thai wife to do that 60-day extension application, and bring both a copy and the original of your Marriage certificate as well as a Khor-Ror-2 (marriage certificate statement) which you can get at any Amphur (city hall) in Thailand for 100 THB.  Such Khor-Ror-2 is an extract from the Thai national marriage register and it is required as proof that you are STILL married to your Thai wife.  Depending on the Imm Office where you apply that document has to be issued on date of application (so first heading to the Amphur and then heading straight to the Imm Office), while some Offices allow it to be issued later (max 1 month).  

Just like the 30-days extension the 60-days-extension costs 1900,- THB, is provided on the spot and the 60 days are ADDED to your Permission to stay.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

@TPDH many threads on process from visa exempt to non O marriage and subsequent extension 

Assume that you have Thai bank account in your name only.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1252365-non-o-and-marriage-extension-questions/

Thank you. Yes I got everything done and ready for the 1 yr marriage extension. I've gotten it once before so bank account and 400K+ THB for 2 months is no issue. 

So since I entered on a visa exempt/visa on arrival, I first need to get a 90 day non-imm O visa (based on marriage) and after that I can get the 1 year extension based on marriage? And this can all be done while I'm in Thailand? 

Lastly, any good threads on how to get the 90 day non-imm O visa (marriage) when you've already entered on a visa exempt? Thank you! 

56 minutes ago, TPDH said:

...Lastly, any good threads on how to get the 90 day non-imm O visa (marriage) when you've already entered on a visa exempt? Thank you! 

This here topic is exactly what you need.