Samui for Retirement

19 minutes ago, Tom H said:

CM, pollution

Phuket expensive

HH boring after a while

KS traffic accidents and no real good hospital

Pattaya, precariat

why not Krabi or Bang Saen?

Krabi has bad traffic now unless krabi town which is boring.

HH is close to Bangkok at least. 

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Krabi town is quite a lovely southern Thai town. Completely clean as the streets are swept each morning. Great Chinese coffee and tea shops to wonder around in the morning. It also has just a beautiful river walk you can jog as well.  A lovely estuary you can travel by boat which is inexpensive and fun. Plus its just an hours drive to Thailand's best hot springs along with an incredible crystal blue pools for swimming. Ao Nang is the dump of the island. 

Have you really spent any time there? It was one of my most pleasant surprises in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, marin said:

Krabi town is quite a lovely southern Thai town. Completely clean as the streets are swept each morning. Great Chinese coffee and tea shops to wonder around in the morning. It also has just a beautiful river walk you can jog as well.  A lovely estuary you can travel by boat which is inexpensive and fun. Plus its just an hours drive to Thailand's best hot springs along with an incredible crystal blue pools for swimming. Ao Nang is the dump of the island. 

Have you really spent any time there? It was one of my most pleasant surprises in Thailand. 

Ao Nang isnt an island. Sounds like you have never been there. I've been there about 6 times. Ao Nang ruined, Lanta ruined. Town boring. The only nice spot is Klong Muang beach. The crystal lagoon and hot springs full of tourists.

Overall the food is also dreadful.

NST is more interesting plus better food.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bignok said:

Overall the food is also dreadful.

Ao Nang does have dreadful food, but Krabi town is for Thai's and is delicious. Chinese, Muslim and Thai are all good. Mate I was first in Krabi in 1999, only Ao Nang long enough to get a longtail to Raillay which at the time was heaven. Now gone to sh#t. 

By the way you mentioned Chiang Rai to Petchabun. Just back from Petchabun, Khao Kor, I think you would find Khao Kor to Chiang Khan, to Loei a much better trip. Many more back roads and alternate ways to go. Lots of accommodation as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marin said:

Ao Nang does have dreadful food, but Krabi town is for Thai's and is delicious. Chinese, Muslim and Thai are all good. Mate I was first in Krabi in 1999, only Ao Nang long enough to get a longtail to Raillay which at the time was heaven. Now gone to sh#t. 

By the way you mentioned Chiang Rai to Petchabun. Just back from Petchabun, Khao Kor, I think you would find Khao Kor to Chiang Khan, to Loei a much better trip. Many more back roads and alternate ways to go. Lots of accommodation as well. 

Been to Chiang Khan. I went to Krabi in March. Disappointed. Not going back. PKK is just better overall. Id rather go back to Chumphon or NST.

• Sad 1

Message for the OP.

Do not make the move permanent at first. Come for a two month stay and look around the island.

The island changes quickly.

Lots of retirees here and still a relaxed lifestyle if you want it.

Quite a few 'snowbirds' come here for 3 to 4 months in the European winter.

If it doesn't work for you then you can easily go to the next place.

phetphet's review is a good one and there are lots of other places to look at although Choengmon is my favourite beach area with lots of good restaurants.

Plai Laem, Chaweng Noi, Lipa Noi etc etc

The south and the west coasts are more quiet and not many tourists It is very much a 'village' life here but with supermarkets. (Including Waitrose.)

5 private International hospitals of varying quality. Insurance is a must. The government hospital has good doctors but long waits.

Return flights to Bangkok are just under 5,000 baht each for residents. Similar prices to Phuket and to Pattaya.

For the last 23 years I have been looking at this view. No regrets. Usually about 300 days of sunshine a year.319802707_Mainsunset.jpg.f57b74d2b80302adff0968eef52bfa05.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bignok said:

HH is close to Bangkok at least. 

Only Ao Nang has bad traffic. You can travel by ship to Phuket and 20 other bigger Islands/Phang Nga area. Living in Krabi is cheaper, good hospital compared to KS and you even have mountains. Of course when you need as a retired person nightlife, go to Patty. 

Boring after some years, believe me.

On 8/11/2023 at 3:30 AM, bignok said:

It's suitable for anyone who likes westernised crowded islands with high transport costs.

The transport costs are high for tourists, not the residents. I use mostly a bicycle to go around, but we have 2 cars and a motorbike too. The fuel is around 5-7% more expensive than Surat Thani.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The transport costs are high for tourists, not the residents. I use mostly a bicycle to go around, but we have 2 cars and a motorbike too. The fuel is around 5-7% more expensive than Surat Thani.

Flights, boats are expensive. Unless people want to stay put.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:30 AM, bignok said:

It's suitable for anyone who likes westernised crowded islands with high transport costs.

I wouldn't visit again, let alone live there.

@ThaiPauly

If looking for the island life, consider Phuket instead, as way more options for everything, and can drive off the island if wanting.

Living on the mainland, surfside is pretty much the same as living on an island.  Plenty of coastline to pick from, and a lot cheaper than both of those islands, without all the tourist.

You only know you're on an island, if you drive around it, or at a 360° viewpoint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:00 PM, bignok said:

Hua Hin to CM by train suits. 

Seventeen hour journey via Bangkok if the train is on time. ????

No direct connection either. 

Edited by marin
  • Thanks 1

It's fine as long as you rent and never buy.

And also if you don't minde being overcharged for everything with the special falang price, like the other popular beach town of Hua Hin where they seem masters in ripping off farangs and overcharge....even if you have a lovely thai wife or a great rent-per-week local girlie with you. But or else, Samui is a lovely place no question of that and you will definately have many nice moments.

• Like 2