Samui for Retirement

All depending on your budget, lifestyle and how old you are! I could live a few months on either Koh Samui or Koh Phangan every year, but the high season, I would prefered elsewhere. Just do not invest everything one place and think thats going to be great in a few years. Have a plan B

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

All depending on your budget, lifestyle and how old you are! I could live a few months on either Koh Samui or Koh Phangan every year, but the high season, I would prefered elsewhere. Just do not invest everything one place and think thats going to be great in a few years. Have a plan B

I could for 4 months. CM 8 months, Samui 4 months Feb-May.

Full time no. Island fever.

I think CM June to January is the best option. I havent found a better one yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Rain season can be quite rough in Koh Samui. So check the average rainfall compare to other places useally from mid september mid of desember. 

Rain season is different on Samui and her sister island due to the north eastern monsoon instead of south western that hits most of Thailand.

Little less downpour than Phuket, half the downpour of Koh Chang and the mainland over there.

If you wish to stay a dry place, it's Pattaya or Hua Hin, but it has been flooded when I've been there; of course I've been choosing the wrong times of the year...

image.png.7960188643d2a8c01eaa3fb4acefaf47.pngimage.png.3604fb4fb149af40deec3256df747d88.pngimage.png.75cb6fe9ba469f9a28886617b3ddc99e.png

image.png.c624112d5d400cafaadce1202607a7a0.png

image.png.860940a0dfdac703bfa749a99178665c.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bignok said:

I think CM June to January is the best option. I havent found a better one yet.

I would freeze (mbo) up there, it's unbelievable cold during the winter...????

Samui's all their summer – never too hot and never too cold – and barefoot Xmas is much better for my life-style...:thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I would freeze (mbo) up there, it's unbelievable cold during the winter...????

Samui's all their summer – never too hot and never too cold – and barefoot Xmas is much better for my life-style...:thumbsup:

Freeze at 10 degrees

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Freeze at 10 degrees

Below 20c is freezing for those of us adjusted to hot weather (and like 27c for aircon).  I did that freezing winter months bit for 3 years in Homestead Florida and don't want it in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Rain season is different on Samui and her sister island due to the north eastern monsoon instead of south western that hits most of Thailand.

Little less downpour than Phuket, half the downpour of Koh Chang and the mainland over there.

If you wish to stay a dry place, it's Pattaya or Hua Hin, but it has been flooded when I've been there; of course I've been choosing the wrong times of the year...

image.png.7960188643d2a8c01eaa3fb4acefaf47.pngimage.png.3604fb4fb149af40deec3256df747d88.pngimage.png.75cb6fe9ba469f9a28886617b3ddc99e.png

image.png.c624112d5d400cafaadce1202607a7a0.png

image.png.860940a0dfdac703bfa749a99178665c.png

I have been living in Krabi, Koh Tao, Koh Phanang and stayed in Koh Samui, as well Hua Hin and Pattaya, and The Islands in the gulf have some of the worst storms I have experienced, as well in beginning of January at Koh Lipe where we got stuck for a whole week. Hua Hin is the place with less average rain pr year. 

It is always good to have options wherever you locate in Thailand, since every place have its own seasons concerning weather and smoke. The islands is great during the months when other places have rain season and the more polluted periods with burning the fields. 

• Like 1