7s and Tops

bradiston

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I've seen Familymart being converted to Tops, same owner, not 7 Eleven

Yes, Family Mart too. In Soi 4 Pratamnak a Family Mart and a 7 have become Tops. Maybe CP realised they had far more 7s than was economically viable. But why would Tops take over a 7 outlet that CP presumably considered unviable?

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yes, Family Mart too. In Soi 4 Pratamnak a Family Mart and a 7 have become Tops. Maybe CP realised they had far more 7s than was economically viable. But why would Tops take over a 7 outlet that CP presumably considered unviable?

There was an article a few weeks ago saying Familymarts were being rebadged as Tops so i don't know why a 7 Eleven would be converted, maybe just owner of 7 was closing it and coincidentally Tops took over

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

There was an article a few weeks ago saying Familymarts were being rebadged as Tops so i don't know why a 7 Eleven would be converted, maybe just owner of 7 was closing it and coincidentally Tops took over

Maybe I'm mistaken. Soi 4 Pratamnak has 4 or 5 convenience stores. Soi 5 the same or more. Soi 6 also. I will check.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I've noticed about every other 7/11 being converted to Tops.

No, you have not.  They're not owned by the same company.

https://insideretail.asia/2020/05/28/central-retail-takes-full-control-of-familymart-thailand/#:~:text=Central Retail has taken full,-owned rival 7-Eleven.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

55 minutes ago, bradiston said:

They haven't,  Tops' owner, Central, has taken over Family Mart, those are what are being converted to Tops, not 7-11s.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

52 minutes ago, bradiston said:

But why would Tops take over a 7 outlet that CP presumably considered unviable?

Not a 711 deal, but Family Mart's franchise agreement with Central Group ended a couple of months ago and they never renewed it.  Central's take over results in the Top's branding.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, treetops said:

Not a 711 deal, but Family Mart's franchise agreement with Central Group ended a couple of months ago and they never renewed it.  Central's take over results in the Top's branding.

Is this a problem

• Confused 2

Family Mart, originally a Japanese owned franchise, was 100% sold to the Central Group (owners of Tops) a couple of years ago.   Obviously Central are looking to rationalise their real estate.   Competition is great, certainly here in Phuket, where Lotus and Supercheap are major players in the 24 hour convenience store market.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I've noticed about every other 7/11 being converted to Tops. Are they independently owned/franchised? The produce is almost identical. Mostly rubbish in other words.

Nothing wrong with the Tops in Chiang Rai, a wide variety of local and imported food.

IME 7/11 is far more limited in range, lower quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nothing wrong with the Tops in Chiang Rai, a wide variety of local and imported food.

IME 7/11 is far more limited in range, lower quality.

I find the Lotus minimarts the best. Can't remember their name. Have fresh meat, veg, fruit, sugar free yoghurt etc etc.

Edited by bradiston

6 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I find the Lotus minimarts the best. Can't remember their name. Have fresh meat, veg, fruit, sugar free yoghurt etc etc.

Lotus’s is owned by the same company that owns 7/11 (CP group, they also own Makro and True etc etc etc) 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Lotus’s is owned by the same company that owns 7/11 (CP group, they also own Makro and True etc etc etc) 

Well, I avoid buying CP brands, full stop. Not in 7, Lotus or Makro. I shop extensively in Makro, but almost all is fresh produce, veg, organic eggs, olive oil, balsamic vinegar etc etc. Very rarely in Lotus except when I need just one item, and only for water in 7.

Ok, I got my rebranding mixed up, Family Mart v 7. Now we all know.

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Not for me - just giving some of the background to the changes.

Could be an issue for Central Group who have ~ 200 new shops to run.

I doubt Central will have issue rebranding 200 existing operational shops.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

3 confused customers. Oh dear. I'll just have to try harder.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, Ralf001 said:

I doubt Central will have issue rebranding 200 existing operational shops.

I agree, running them at an acceptable profit level could be a problem however.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:16 AM, bradiston said:

Yes, I was wondering why is it only 200?

I guess that's all there is.  The number came from a news article on the change.