Vehcle Import

mijan24

I have read all the "no do not import your vehicle" even seems to apply to vintage what about kit cars such as described below:

What is it?

The Ferrino is a rebody of a 1970's Toyota. This one is a 1973 model, manual.

This is an Australian kit car, made by the now defunct Cool Cars Inc in Adelaide in the 80's.

It has steel doors and roof, an unmodified chassis and an unmodified engine bay. The nose and tail are GRP fiberglass plastic. It's a monocoupe.

Body conversion completed rolling shell.

What is included and installed?

Conversion to body complete (rolling shell no mechanicals.)

Gas cap relocated and hidden under spring release number plate as per kit

All lights including popup headlamps and blinkers installed

All new latches and flip front bonnet and boot release connected

Tranny tunnel enlarged to take skyline trans etc.

To accomodate transporting (Rolling Shell) the follow has been fitted:

All suspension and wheels fitted

Steering, steering wheel

Manual pedal box & pedals fitted

diff etc. fitted

Painted in sound yellow base coat. Ready for full paint to be carried out after full assembly.

What is included but not fitted?

Latches, door handles and regulators, rods etc.

Door trims

Guages

What is NOT included? - Repeat NOT included?

The following is not included but will all come from a donor car purchased in Thailand:

Engine

manual trans

tail shaft

radiator and hoses

battery

master cylinder booster

heater demister box

air cond.

loom and harness

alternator/starter (will be on donor motor)

head liner

seats

tunnel trim

Tyres and wheels to be purchased Thailand

The following is not included but will be on the donor car also:

dash

a windscreen and all glass

headliner

tunnel cover

Hi

The issue isn't so much as you cant import vehicles, its how much your willing to spend on doing it. Customs seem to pick figures out of the air and you have to pay tax on that amount.

Your kit car can be imported as parts but you will still need to pay tax on whatever they think the current market value is. Then you have to get the thing registered once its completed, there are a few people who have imported old classic cars as restoration projects and had them registered, but they were already registered at there home country.

Kit cars I am uncertain as what is needed, there was a guy going to be importing westfield kit cars into thailand but have not heard anything about him since, he was offering people fly back to the UK to see & drive one which I read into saying that he was unable to build and register a demonstrstor here but I might be wrong.

You will need to inquire about registering it first, if that is posible then you could posibly import it as spares.

hope that helps

Warwick

Hi

The issue isn't so much as you cant import vehicles, its how much your willing to spend on doing it. Customs seem to pick figures out of the air and you have to pay tax on that amount.

Your kit car can be imported as parts but you will still need to pay tax on whatever they think the current market value is. Then you have to get the thing registered once its completed, there are a few people who have imported old classic cars as restoration projects and had them registered, but they were already registered at there home country.

Kit cars I am uncertain as what is needed, there was a guy going to be importing westfield kit cars into thailand but have not heard anything about him since, he was offering people fly back to the UK to see & drive one which I read into saying that he was unable to build and register a demonstrstor here but I might be wrong.

You will need to inquire about registering it first, if that is posible then you could posibly import it as spares.

hope that helps

Warwick

If building a car incountry you need it registered (certified) by a body of Thai automotive engineers.. I tried repeatedly to contact them but without success so gave up.

I know of a beach buggy here which even tho it has a green book, cant seem to change ownership as the donor parts have not had tax reciepts or some such other nonsense.

You CAN get a working car, with book, all Thai registered, and modify that.. Chassis numbers and engine numbers must remain the same.. I couldnt get a clear answer on how much modification makes it a kit car rather than a modified car, as a farang expect problems.