Finding hidden files on Android phone?

giddyup

I have a Oppo A83 that I use as a dedicated audiobook, but having a problem finding and then deleting some files.

The files are sent via USB in MP3 format from my PC, which automatically places them into Playstore app called Audiobook 2 where they can be read but not deleted. For that I need to open File Manager, but sometimes the file doesn't appear there, although it's still showing in the Audiobook app. So where is it so I can delete it?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

although it's still showing in the Audiobook app

That doesn't necessary mean that the file(s) still exist.

If you delete a file in that Audiobook app then the entry in the app will be deleted and (maybe, possibly) also the actual file will be deleted.

If you delete the file in Explorer or any other app then maybe the Audiobook app still shows the entry even if the file is deleted.

Similar with picture apps.

A long time ago I had a little incident with "deleted files". A friend wanted to give his old notebook to his new girlfriend. He asked me to delete all old files, especially pictures from his ex. I deleted all the files. The pictures didn't exist anymore.

But when he had another look at the computer, and he opened his picture app, he still saw for a moment all those old thumbnails from the pictures which were already deleted.

Be aware of the difference...

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That doesn't necessary mean that the file(s) still exist.

If you delete a file in that Audiobook app then the entry in the app will be deleted and (maybe, possibly) also the actual file will be deleted.

If you delete the file in Explorer or any other app then maybe the Audiobook app still shows the entry even if the file is deleted.

Similar with picture apps.

A long time ago I had a little incident with "deleted files". A friend wanted to give his old notebook to his new girlfriend. He asked me to delete all old files, especially pictures from his ex. I deleted all the files. The pictures didn't exist anymore.

But when he had another look at the computer, and he opened his picture app, he still saw for a moment all those old thumbnails from the pictures which were already deleted.

Be aware of the difference...

The file still exists on the audiobook app because I can open it and listen to it.

Just now, Myran said:

Make sure that "Show hidden and system files" is activated on your computer, otherwise you won't see hidden files on the phone when you connect it.

I should be able to see the file in File Manager on my phone.

21 minutes ago, Myran said:

Cool. You obviously don't want any help, so best of luck.

Not at all. Don't get your knickers in a twist. The "show hidden files" is ticked on my PC but the file doesn't show up when the phone is attached via USB.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

The file still exists on the audiobook app because I can open it and listen to it.

Can you delete it from your audiobook app?

It is possible that the file has not the original filename anymore.

So maybe you don't see it because it has a different name.

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can you delete it from your audiobook app?

It is possible that the file has not the original filename anymore.

So maybe you don't see it because it has a different name.

No, can't be deleted from the app, not sure how the name could be changed.

43 minutes ago, norbra said:

Find the original file on your PC ,not phone, rename or delete it.

Or try opening file

again on your phone with PC shut down.

The file on audiobooks could be a shortcut or a playlist item

The phone and the PC aren't connected except when I transfer audio files to the phone. The file has been deleted from the PC but that doesn't delete it from the phone.

auto transfer to a cloud? You still have the possibility to start the file, as it is still in audiobook. 

though you deleted it from phone.

This helpfull?

Can I permanently delete an audiobook from my Library?

If you want to delete an audiobook permanently you can do so from the Amazon website, follow these steps:

1. Go to Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon.
  2. Next to "Show", click the Books button and then select Audiobooks.
  3. Choose the audiobook you want to delete and click the checkbox next to it.
  4. Click Delete button followed by Yes, delete permanently.

If you still have the audiobook downloaded in the Audible app, make sure to remove it from your device. Once deleted the audiobook will be removed from your account.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I should be able to see the file in File Manager on my phone.

What version of android are you using? Since version 11, possibly 10, android has denied access to system and data files so your file manager will not see them.

The other thing is possibly your file manager. In the past I have had problems with the file manage that came with the device and had to install a better one to do what I wanted. I used FX File Explorer but many available free on Playstore.

I recently had to buy a new TV box and that came with android 11 and I had a problem the other way round I couldn't get at the data files to overwrite them. A bit of googling brought up a variety of suggestions for workarounds, all based on using a more sophisticated file manager that had to be paid for.

I didn't bother following it through, just laboriously set up the new installation manually.

47 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

auto transfer to a cloud? You still have the possibility to start the file, as it is still in audiobook. 

though you deleted it from phone.

This helpfull?

Can I permanently delete an audiobook from my Library?

If you want to delete an audiobook permanently you can do so from the Amazon website, follow these steps:

1. Go to Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon.
  2. Next to "Show", click the Books button and then select Audiobooks.
  3. Choose the audiobook you want to delete and click the checkbox next to it.
  4. Click Delete button followed by Yes, delete permanently.

If you still have the audiobook downloaded in the Audible app, make sure to remove it from your device. Once deleted the audiobook will be removed from your account.

That only applies to Audible, that's not the app I use.

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What version of android are you using? Since version 11, possibly 10, android has denied access to system and data files so your file manager will not see them.

The other thing is possibly your file manager. In the past I have had problems with the file manage that came with the device and had to install a better one to do what I wanted. I used FX File Explorer but many available free on Playstore.

I recently had to buy a new TV box and that came with android 11 and I had a problem the other way round I couldn't get at the data files to overwrite them. A bit of googling brought up a variety of suggestions for workarounds, all based on using a more sophisticated file manager that had to be paid for.

I didn't bother following it through, just laboriously set up the new installation manually.

I think I will try your suggestion and download another file manager.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, norbra said:

Try using file manager search option.

Connect phone to PC use windows explorer.

Try install CX FILE Manager or GOOGLE FILES apps.

Thanks, downloaded FX File Explorer and found and deleted the file there.