Thailand’s first monkey pox related death reported

snoop1130

Monkeypox-Thailand_web.png

Thailand has reported its first monkey pox related fatality, in a man who was also infected with HIV and syphilis, according to Dr. Tares Krassanairawiwong, director-general of the Disease Control Department.

He said today (Monday) that the 34-year old patient was admitted to a private hospital in Chon Buri province on July 3rd and was diagnosed with monkey pox a week later.

The patient subsequently developed a sore throat and was found to have a fungal infection, an opportunistic disease found in those with HIV. After 4 weeks of treatment, he was discharged from the hospital, but was later sent to Bamrasnaradura Institute of Infectious Diseases sufferingfrom fatigue and breathing difficulties.

Caption: This 2003 electron microscope image shows mature, oval-shaped monkeypox virions, left, and spherical immature virions, right, obtained from a sample of human skin associated with the 2003 prairie dog outbreak. (Cynthia S. Goldsmith, Russell Regner/CDC via AP, File)

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-first-monkey-pox-related-death-reported/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter. Click to subscribe

More illnesses than an English poet !!

Monkey pox, HIV and syphilis ? Going to take a wild guess here and say this is a gay man that refused to wear a condom ever in his life. 

As for the monkey pox link I think that is misleading - reading the linked story I would say it is more related to untreated HIV that led to no immune system

26 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

More illnesses than an English poet !!

Monkey pox, HIV and syphilis ? Going to take a wild guess here and say this is a gay man that refused to wear a condom ever in his life. 

As for the monkey pox link I think that is misleading - reading the linked story I would say it is more related to untreated HIV that led to no immune system

Maybe just a straight guy that was testing the waters. You could get all three from one session  central London had around 4000 MP cases last year. 

6 hours ago, arick said:

Maybe just a straight guy that was testing the waters. You could get all three from one session  central London had around 4000 MP cases last year. 

Well for HIV to do any real damage to the immune system it usually takes several years, so I doubt that this guy was unlucky enough to catch all 3 infections (HIV, syphilis, mpox) in "one session" just recently. More likely a history of untreated/unmanaged STIs for years and now his immune system just couldn't handle it anymore.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Well for HIV to do any real damage to the immune system it usually takes several years, so I doubt that this guy was unlucky enough to catch all 3 infections (HIV, syphilis, mpox) in "one session" just recently. More likely a history of untreated/unmanaged STIs for years and now his immune system just couldn't handle it anymore.

Its a Shame either way treatment is available free of charge. Obviously just stupidity